Automotive seat covers

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Not sure if it were best to start this in "off topic" or "getting there" I chose "off topic".

After recently driving a vehicle with cloth seats everyday I went back to one with vinyl seats……on the hottest day of the summer. That was quite a shock. Yeah yeah I know, first world problems and all but I stopped by an auto parts store and bought some canvas style universal seat covers and discovered these were not my fathers seat covers……in a good way. They actually fit fairly well.

This weekend I'll add some elastic strips to make them hold a bit tighter in a couple of places since the ones I chose only have 2 total. Now that causes them to hold fast at the front of the seat but for a more custom fit look I'll add some at the rear of the seat then a pair at the lower part of the back part like those custom cut seat covers have. Add a sliver of sponge underneat and viola, no more sitting a pool of sweat while driving 75 miles each way. And unlike factory cloth seats the sponge can be removed for washing or replacing.

I requested vinyl seats when ordering the work truck back in 018 because they're so much easier to clean and deodorize. Yet after getting spoiled by cloth seats……

Anybody else use seat covers?

Last edited:
I might have chosen one of the New York Cabby's beaded options.

e1pgKS3.jpg

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
i used to have them on my sonata, paid 500 for a set of wet okole covers, expensive but worth every penny, the car came with light gray seats, so i figured i'll cover them not to have problems when returning the lease, when i took them off, the seats looked brand new. after i returned the car i cut them and used them to upholster kitchen chairs, came out really nice,

Last edited:

FrogmanM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wet Okoles are sweet, I currently have a set of Rough Country neoprene seat covers in my '17 F150. My family went to the beach a lot so I've been used to neoprene covers.

-Mayo

firsttothescene

Enlightened
I have the coverking neoprene ( thickest one they have) custom ones and they are pretty awesome. They fit perfectly and stay nice looking. I have had them @ 8+ years.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
These are my $15 covers. I bought these and replaced the ones I was going to modify. These were on clearance. Solid colored of the same material were $50.

E4-F40-D13-47-B2-4-A4-F-B0-BA-174384-C64-B50.jpg

They have 6 fasten points.
Cover Craft said 90 day turn around so these will do until then.

Last edited:

raggie33

*the raggedier*
lol u all spent more on seat covers then i payed for my last car lol

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Byk, your seat covers have touch of Vans👍

I had Wet Okole cover in my F100.. I use to wash them right inside the truck without removing!

If a local Hawaiian calls you a Okole it's usually not meant to be polite..

So, where in the heck are you placing this sponge, inside your pants, on your okole!? 🤣

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Hmmm, they do look like something Vans would do. So far they've stayed in place fairly well but I did buy some elastic ribbon at sprawl mart on Saturday just in case I want to tweak them a little.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
that is the difference between 15$ covers and 500 dollar ones, one is made a universal fit, but really does not fit any car properly, and constantly slides all over and moves, custom covers for 500 fit like a glove, stay on like it is a part of the seat, and completely waterproof,

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I wanted waterproof I'd have stayed with the stock vinyl seat(s).

you have a point, vinyl is waterproof, i had a ford van with vinyl seats, i could wipe anything off of them and they'll be dry, however few hours driving in a hot weather. my back and a$$ were soaking wet from sweat.
to be honest my 500 bucks seat covers did that too to a degree, not nearly as bad as vinyls, but then i had sweaty back in rental challenger with leather, and ventilated seats, the bottom of the seat was ok, but the seatback still gave me wet back.

Last edited:

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have several vehicles with over 200K miles on them and the seats have never worn through the fabric, nor torn etc, all look pretty decent actually. As a result I never have looked into car seat covers. That beaded one looks pretty neat, I wonder how comfortable it is....

Maybe its because I don't eat any food in my cars and vacuum them monthly, not sure why they never seem to break down.:popcorn:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
in my case, i got covers for a brand new car, they did not make one with black interior that year for that model, so i got one with light grey, and got black covers, custom fit, so i can have the color i want, and protect light color seats too, but mostly cuz i got the int. color i wanted, and pretty cool looking covers too, with cool pattern inserts, pockets,...

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I have several vehicles with over 200K miles on them and the seats have never worn through the fabric, nor torn etc, all look pretty decent actually. As a result I never have looked into car seat covers. That beaded one looks pretty neat, I wonder how comfortable it is....

Maybe its because I don't eat any food in my cars and vacuum them monthly, not sure why they never seem to break down.:popcorn:

Time and sunlight are the enemy of the interior of an automobile. Especially those with gin clear glass.

Like alpg said, I didn't want to sit in my own sweat while driving. When I first got the truck I worked outdoors so in July I never noticed the seats caused me to sweat and in winter I'd wear insulated clothing so the "yikes" cold bite of vinyl was never a real issue. But now I've gone over to the dark side and joined the management.

My wife has a car with nice cloth seats in a light gray but carries stuff that get them dirty. Now for her ride I won't skrimp on the covers or put in a set of universal ****ies covers from Wallee World, but will do something a little more durable. And we'll trial fit then add straps of elastic where the stock ones could use a bit more anchorage. Bucket seats are easy. It's those 60/40 fold downs I'm struggling to find good online reviews for. We may just go with something solid color by weather tech.