LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Lux, you describe perfectly, my feelings and thoughts of the movie. I was feeling just a little disappointed that the IMAX I was in was not the "surround" type that curves around at the front quite a bit. But you're saying that did not matter to you in the second partial you watched?

It's playing just down the street in Digital 3D but not IMAX so it would be so easy for my wife and I to see a few more times. Intoxicating is a good word to use. Also, how you describe being pulled into the movie and everything else around you disappears is so correct.

The luminescent colors in the forest when you first venture into them towards the beginning of the movie are indescribable. I was noticeably uneasy/agitated/let down - not quite sure how to describe it, when I had to leave the theater and couldn't see them any longer. Seeing them is, I imagine, like being on a Narcotic. MORE, MORE, MORE. I NEED to go back to the forest!!

I wonder how long until great 3D tech will come to the big TV screens. I just heard something the other day about some type of finalization of the spec for 3D Blu Rays.

LOL! Post #59 above.

Well said about the feeling of having to leave the theater. Think about the comment that makes....and although I snuck in the non-IMAX 3D showing, just to see how it compared to the IMAX, in reality I stayed the 40+ minutes until it ended because I wasn't ready to leave Pandora. After watching the additional 40+ minutes, I still wanted more. LOL!

Those who think the Na'vis look bizarre like get-lit's freakish bugeye photo in post #65 above are in for a big surprise. You fall in love with their physical beauty and 'heart' on many levels.

Max_Power

Enlightened
I just watched Avatar in 3D "Imax" at a flat-screen theater (AMC Cupertino Square 16) - at 5 or 6 points in the movie I said "WOW!" out loud. This is an instant classic! Definitely worth seeing the 3D version.

I am glad I didn't see any long trailers or reviews before seeing the movie. Too much of the plot is given away by the big trailer at the official website, but fortunately I saw it for the first time AFTER seeing the movie. There was a recent "science of the movies" show on TV where I saw some of how it was made, like the banshee riders. I thought, "this looks like a good science fiction show!"

I liked the sci-fi aspects that were not belabored, like the tall aliens (the Navi). On a low-gravity world, the animals and plants would tend to grow taller. Sure, the overall plot was pretty predictable, but that's just because mankind tends to operate that way, given the chance. The surprising thing was how well the Navi actors portrayed emotions. The breathtaking immersiveness was better than anything I've ever seen. When I walked into my house after the 2 mile drive home, I was still out of breath!

I'd like to see any naysayers try to come up with an alien landscape as original as this without losing the audience. It was just alien enough, with ideas borrowed from many life forms on earth but applied inventively.

I'll have to go to an IMAX dome theater to see this again. And I will definitely acquire the blu-ray version when it becomes available. I believe that the 3D glasses are circular polarizers. Left hand circular for one eye, right hand circular for the other. Brilliant! Very little eyestrain even after 2 or 3 hours. I hung onto a pair to experiment with at home.

Two thumbs WAY up from my mom and me!

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
One bug eyed alien coming up.

Looks a lot prettier in the rest of the movie. I think she is also in Star Trek.

I only use one eye at a time. Can not see 3D.
There were no lineups at my local mallplex! Um it is only showing 2D.

I do not see anything wrong in the 2D version of the movie. Kudos to the lighting guy for making sure the movie does not look 'flat' while in 2D.
There is none of that 'see I'm in 3D' nonsense like throwing spears at the audience in Beowulf.
The scenery is beautiful. From the forests to the floating mountains.

The storyline is an updated version of poor rancher against the big bad robber baron in the cowboy movies to the Na'vis against the big bad corporation. At last there is a plot (2012 na-na).

Worthwhile watching on the big screen.

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's akin to saying The Godfather trilogy seems like a bunch of Sicilians that come to America, or Lord of the Rings seems like a bunch of wizards, elves, and dwarves wandering around in an enchanted forest, or Dances with Wolves seems like another American western that abuses Native Americans.

Well yeah, don't get me wrong. All cool movies, but deep movies? Not so much.

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haven't seen it yet, and thanks to all for not shooting off with spoilers. Can't wait to see it, especially in 3-D.

Watched a long Cameron interview, he pretty much confirmed all that I had read elsewhere (and posted about here).

One item of interest: he mentioned a sequel!

He had to leave quite a lot of scenes on the cutting floor and something tells me they are not going to go to waste.

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
One bug eyed alien coming up.

I only use one eye at a time. Can not see 3D.

There were no lineups at my local mallplex! Um it is only showing 2D.
This is what I'm wondering. I would really like to see this movie in 3D, but I have monovision also. One eye is focused for distance, the other for up close.. reading. They switch dominance depending on what I'm looking at.

Does anyone have any insight as to whether or not for sure, that these glasses and this system will not work for us? I would hate to get there only to find out it looks terrible through the glasses. All blurry or something. And another question comes to mind, if it did, does it look... ok, in 2D without them at a 3D showing? I'm really undecided whether or not to try it in 3D.

BVH

Flashaholic
Not sure on a bunch of your questions but i took the glasses off a couple times and there is no possible, enjoyable way to view the 3-D version without the glasses. There's two of everything side-by-side and a lot of blurriness.

QtrHorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
I watched the movie in 2D tonight and I don't see how 3D could have made it much better. As stated, there is not much movie action coming at you like I thought there would be.

Now, if you don't want to know certain things about the movie, do not read what I wrote below.

I honestly thought it was just good, not great. The graphics were really great except for the animated running of those 6 legged horse things. They looked like a 6 yo digitized those scenes. Can they not make them look like real horses running with the multi million dollar computer software they have available? One high note of the movie was that they thoroughly explain everything instead of just pcs of a story here and there.

I'm also tired of the commentaries on how the US forces their beliefs on everyone else which is what this movie was about.

I also got the feeling that Mr. Cameron was trying to say it was okay for the Al-Qaeda to kill us because we attacked their land (precious rock = oil?). The Marine/ alien makes the comment that "we will take the fight to them and kill them all if we have to".

I'm probably a little more judgemental than most because I watch just about every movie that comes out and I might be a little desensitized because of all the movies I watch.

It may win a oscar for best animated graphics but that's it. I don't think it lived up to all the hype but not many movies do.

Is it worth watching, yes.
Would I recommend it to friends, yes.

It was a lot better than Ninja Assasins, that's for sure.:D

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its rare that I say this about a movie, but Avatar blew my mind. The attention to detail in this movie was so deep that I'm not sure a person can fully appreciate the scope of thought provoking images concepts and ideas after only one viewing. I recommend seeing it with someone who can appreciate subtlety and attention to detail. I took my girlfriend who is a nature/animal lover to the extreme, who appreciates Gods creation and all of nature on a level even I find hard to understand. Needless to say we were both consumed by this film. I found myself through the entire movie truly imagining what it would be like to encounter such places and creatures here on earth. I think it would be fair to ask a person rather than "have you seen the movie Avatar" to say "have you experienced the movie Avatar"?

Another think I liked about this movie was its semi realistic story line. By this I mean it wasn't all just HAPPY HAPPY its all good everything always works out no one dies or gets hurt type of a story.

Also the blend of what is animated and real was very smooth, of course I realize what is digital and whats not, but I mean it was not a stumbling block.

The only move that I can recall has ever impacted me more than what this movie did was when the first Matrix movie was released.. that was a true milestone.

Bottom line: Great move, best I think I have seen all year, take someone with you. The only serious negative for me was the use of the Lords name in vain. While this is not a problem for some, to me it was unnecessary.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
QrtHorse, thanks for giving your impressions. I'm sure I would have been less gushing in my praise had I seen it in 2D. I'm truly sorry for those who are monocular, but there is no way I would ever see this in 2D. I wouldn't even purchase the DVD or Blu-Ray if not in 3D.

Part of why people describe this movie with comparisons to legendary epics like 1927's The Jazz Singer which first introduced sound, or the first Star Wars that exploded the limits of your imagination, or The Wizard of Oz when it first came out, or even a movie like Matrix-I -- is because with the revolutionary effect of the 3D, Avatar pulls you into the movie's world unlike anything has done.

It actually has you "be in the movie," rather than watching a movie. When you are in the movie, you are enchanted and intoxicated by everything, and issues like you mentioned become insignificant. I noticed all the things you mentioned, but I was so in love with the revolutionary experience of this movie, none of that bothered me like it normally might have.

IMHO, you missed experiencing the movie like the rest of us are talking about. I know when I took off my glasses several times (despite the double image issue), I was pulled back into watching a regular movie from a distance, as a spectator. Putting the glasses back on, I was teleported back into being in the world...no longer watching it. That is why it felt like the movie lasted only 30 minutes to me.

It's holding up pretty well with Yahoo Movies ratings here. Drifting down to 82% at Rotten Tomatoes. I would really like to see a separate ranking only from those seeing it in 3D. I have no doubt that it will do just fine, because there are enough people with experiences like me having seen it in 3D that we will see it 4-5 or more times.

Cameron has said he plans 2 sequels for Avatar.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't even purchase the DVD or Blu-Ray if not in 3D.

Cameron has said he plans 2 sequels for Avatar.
Better start saving now. 3D TV & 3D Blu-Ray expected next year. They have already done demos for the media geeks. The next Winter Olympics and FIFA World Cup will be recorded in 3D.

The studios always sign up actors for 3 movies when they can get them cheap. Before the 1st one becomes a blockbuster and the actors want more money for the subsequent ones. X-men, Pirates of the Caribbean. The James Bonds are more lucky/unlucky to get up to 5 films at the low introductory price. If the movie bombs then its just 'an option'. Sharon Stone did manage to force the studios to make Basic Instinct 2 (the studios did not want to but the 1st one made enough money they were unable to use the 'if it bombs then it is just an option' escape clause).

QtrHorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well Geez, I may have to see it in 3D now. We have a fairly new Imax that I have been wanting to visit anyway. It sounds like I have been missing out on the new 3D type experience. The last 3D movie I watched was the type that has things coming at you.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Well Geez, I may have to see it in 3D now. We have a fairly new Imax that I have been wanting to visit anyway. It sounds like I have been missing out on the new 3D type experience. The last 3D movie I watched was the type that has things coming at you.

This isn't like that. Those type of 3D are throwing stuff at you to show you what they can do, but it is not natural or intuitive. That's what Cameron brought to Avatar by using the 3D to enhance what you see, not impress you with the technology of 3D. When you see it, you will understand the huge difference.

Drywolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw the movie in 3D not IMAX. I think 3D made a lot of scenes weaker. I noticed that when a scene had a lot of rapid movement or high contrast a lot of definition was lost; maybe on purpose? I liked the movie, but I like anything that takes an ancient story (Bible/Koran/Macedonian) and adds a high tech point of view. I think unless you get one of the 30 best seats at the IMAX (for the sound track) it's a waste and 3D in general is a waste. I would say, see it in 2D while it is in the big theater or wait a couple of weeks and see it without someone right next to you except your loved ones. Just my two cents and they are not the copper ones.

Edit:
I thought I would add this foot note:
I bought a 240Hz 46" LED TV and a BluRay player for the bedroom a month ago and returned it the next week. I hated it with the exception of live sports. It turns movies into daytime soaps (video) and reveals all the flaws with older BW movies. It's just too perfect for my taste.

I own a 1410-HD 61" Pioneer Elite plasma monitor and it is just right in my opinion (not counting any tuner and speakers). It does not support 1080P but it has a really great color picture and is a great display for line doubled DVD's and 1080I cable/satellite programming.

I guess I'm just an old fart with my opinions. "Say"La.

Edit:
60 40

Last edited:

strinq

Enlightened
Just watched it in 2D and everyone in the cinema was like WOW.
Now i know i just got to watch it in 3D.
Stunning graphics.
The story was pretty good too but it was the scenes that made the WOW.