Awesome Older Tech Gadgets

idleprocess

Flashaholic
You know, looking back on this a couple years later, it annoys me how these videos only show the most ridiculous reactions. The kids who aren't weirded-out by old tech just get cut from videos like this. This is really just the first step of Generation X into old age, wherein they will complain endlessly about how easy Kids These Days have it, and how ungrateful they are, just like Baby Boomers have been doing about Millennials for years now.
Happens every generation.
Then they say, "No, this time it's different."
Which is the same thing that's said every generation.

I gather that this tradition goes back at least as far as the ancient Greeks.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know, looking back on this a couple years later, it annoys me how these videos only show the most ridiculous reactions. The kids who aren't weirded-out by old tech just get cut from videos like this. This is really just the first step of Generation X into old age, wherein they will complain endlessly about how easy Kids These Days have it, and how ungrateful they are, just like Baby Boomers have been doing about Millennials for years now.

Those videos show how stupid modern kids are. This is a paradox: technology steps forward, but average human beings become more and more stupid. And only one girl which is not so nice turned out to be the most sane.

Just a comparison: you all know modern Lego, but this is an old school iron game:

hqdefault.jpg

And this is kind of final result:

kv1.jpg

How do you think which one is more educating of them?

Of course, there is a modern equivalent -- Meccano, but how often do you see kids playing with it?

Last edited:

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
The old Erector Sets were cool! Do they even make them anymore? It was definitely a toy that made you think and use your imagination.

You're right about technology making people stupid...people can't figure out a damned thing without their phones these days. I remember way back when we actually figured stuff out with a pencil and paper, LOL!

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
The Meccano Mountain Rally, 25 Model Set will be one of my grandson's birthday presents. Thanks for pointing Meccano out.

Bill

fyrstormer

Banned
Those videos show how stupid modern kids are. This is a paradox: technology steps forward, but average human beings become more and more stupid. And only one girl which is not so nice turned out to be the most sane.

Just a comparison: you all know modern Lego, but this is an old school iron game:

hqdefault.jpg

And this is kind of final result:

kv1.jpg

How do you think which one is more educating of them?

Of course, there is a modern equivalent -- Meccano, but how often do you see kids playing with it?
Yes, let's examine the skills of small children who have only experienced those things which are in their parents' houses and in their elementary school classrooms, and call them stupid compared to fully grown adults with decades of experience. That seems fair. :rolleyes:

This mentality reminds me of my girlfriend's sister-in-law complaining about her children slowing down her shopping because they run around looking and grabbing at everything in the store. I told her, "Of course they do, they've never seen those things before. To you it's a store, to them it's a museum." She gave me a look that people normally use when they aren't sure if they're listening to a prophet or a madman.

Last edited:

Lex Icon

Newly Enlightened
I'm even worse!.... The adorable hippie girls can stay. But not the smelly dudes! Yup, I'm sexist too. :grin2:

......leaving us all to wonder how the non-dudes fit into your plans if you consider them as being both adorable and smelly.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
......leaving us all to wonder how the non-dudes fit into your plans if you consider them as being both adorable and smelly.

I just let them skip and dance barefoot in the fields. So adorable...... Like watching butterflies flutter around. :)

Last edited:

Lex Icon

Newly Enlightened
I just let them skip and dance barefoot in the fields. So adorable...... Like watching butterflies flutter around. :)

In case you haven't made plans already, you need to go lurk at the Oregon Country Fair near Eugene (in Veneta) next summer.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, let's examine the skills of small children who have only experienced those things which are in their parents' houses and in their elementary school classrooms, and call them stupid compared to fully grown adults with decades of experience. That seems fair. :rolleyes:

This mentality reminds me of my girlfriend's sister-in-law complaining about her children slowing down her shopping because they run around looking and grabbing at everything in the store. I told her, "Of course they do, they've never seen those things before. To you it's a store, to them it's a museum." She gave me a look that people normally use when they aren't sure if they're listening to a prophet or a madman.

You don't get my point. A game like Meccano has plenty of screws and nuts. It requires to use tools (a screw driver and a wrench) not bare hands to join parts together. A child has to play with many small parts what educates hand and finger control. That employs child's brain ten-fold against Lego.

Going_Supernova

Enlightened
You don't get my point. A game like Meccano has plenty of screws and nuts. It requires to use tools (a screw driver and a wrench) not bare hands to join parts together. A child has to play with many small parts what educates hand and finger control. That employs child's brain ten-fold against Lego.

Sheesh! That's what video games do these days.

Back in the early 2000's, I took an Intro. to PC's class with a bunch of older folks who were not familiar with computers. Their hand-eye coordination was terrible--they could not get the cursor to go where they wanted it to. The instructor would stop the class to help them, and it ate up the class time. The kids take to PC's and video games easily--great hand-eye coordination.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Sheesh! That's what video games do these days.

Back in the early 2000's, I took an Intro. to PC's class with a bunch of older folks who were not familiar with computers. Their hand-eye coordination was terrible--they could not get the cursor to go where they wanted it to. The instructor would stop the class to help them, and it ate up the class time. The kids take to PC's and video games easily--great hand-eye coordination.

I had trouble with the cursor too when I bought my first computer. Adjusting the cursor speed-sensitivity setting is all it took. I slowed mine down quite a bit.