Backpack light

GhostMatador

Newly Enlightened
I've had a few lights I can mount to backpacks, clip on the straps, but they've had their issues with pointing the wrong direction, staying mounted, and ease of removing them.

I have nice headlamps, but when going underground, the light really gets swallowed up, so having several lights and angles is advantageous so I don't feel like I have to have my torch and headlamp on turbo and still see everything.

This is especially the case in big rooms underground. Also backpack mounted lights seem like they could have other advantages.

Thoughts on this:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/zyntony/ra-worlds-first-strap-light?ref=zrainfo1

Is there anything else out there comparable?

Last edited:

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
My first thought is schill. Sorry just is.

I sorta like the idea of a backpack light once you set up camp or stop walking. But I don't care to light up behind me whilst walking. Others may. I like a Nitecore HC90vn and a light for my hand that I can clip to my belt or belt loop. It would have a lanyard too.

GhostMatador

Newly Enlightened
I agree I see no reason light up behind. This would light up in front of the pack.

So let's say you're headlamp is putting out 2000 lumens on turbo and your light in your hand puts out another 2000 on turbo. That's plenty of light, (some would argue, I'd prefer more light underground) but you can't leave them on turbo so you put them at 1000 or so and add this pack light to have more light without draining batteries and heating up the lights to turbo

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am sure you know, Most, but not all lights, don't run "turbo" for more than a few seconds due to heat and batteries. I know you mentioned it, but for others, don't forget overheating or over draining batteries. A 2K lumen headlamp is pretty darn strong.

I am not sure of many that headlamps that will actually do 2K. Heck, even 1K is a lot of light on your head. The one I mentioned, HC90vn is a pretty serious light for one 18650, and it puts out a little over 1200 real lumens. That is about all I need for a single cell light.

GhostMatador

Newly Enlightened
That's why another light on backpack straps would be nice to run all 3 on medium.

I run a Kavelight on my head which hasn't ever been tested but a guy on here built it and pushed it to put out 3-5k lumens. It's nice, plenty until you get into a big underground mine or cave and the light gets swallowed up.

Illum

Flashaholic
The only reason why I would want to light up a backpack is for everyone else around me to know exactly where I am. Usually for that application a glow stick will do, currently, a Fenix CL05 comes in handy. The light purple anodizing makes it look a bit like a suppository/sex toy but at night no one notices it except its output.

Illum

Flashaholic
I saw it just fine, innovative yes, practical I'm not sure. Seems like the glares a bit harsh. And second, how much batteries are you planning to carry? An outdoor excursion will require at least a couple hours worth of power.

Bright, easy to carry, or long runtime: you can only choose two

Last edited:

Archangel72

Newly Enlightened
For the price you can do better price wise and weight wise with other batteries and lights... Still it's a neat idea and if you'd rather carry more weight for less usable out put..Its a good thing to try and test.

WigglyTheGreat

Newly Enlightened
To me it looks like it puts out too much flood and the throw is too limited. Kind of like when I use my Zebralight H602w light by itself in the woods. It ends up being very bright close up and you can't see out beyond the beam b/c it's so bright up close. A flood light is great around camp or working on a project, but when moving fast like running or especially cycling you need to see farther out. Walking or hiking it can work, but I wouldn't be happy with the beam by itself. It needs a thrower as a companion to this light. If you use this backpack light along with a headlamp with more throw then it would work out better. Or have one or more of the LEDs have a reflector with a little bit of throw.

When I go out trail running or hiking at night I use the full flood light waist mounted and then wear a headlamp with more throw along with it and it makes a nice combo. I can tell you though that I always end up having the headlamp at about twice the output of the floody waist light otherwise I get too much light up close and this interferes with distance vision.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do like bouncing light off ceilings in restricted areas, to give a nice ambient light. I can also see the value in having a constant moonlight attached to a pack. I'm not sold on multiple floody emitters in a strip, not for on a person, yes for room lighting with unlimited power supply though.

Taz80

Enlightened
Its looks like an interesting idea, but they never show where they are putting the battery pack. Maybe I missed the battery pack when they stuck it to the inside of the hood or to their pants. Also I would think you would want a little more throw for biking and snow boarding. It does look like it would be a nice work light if you could find a way to mount the batteries.

PolarLi

Enlightened
Backpack light? How about a light with backpack? I got you covered! 70.000 lumens, with backpack :thumbsup:

MJc75nn.jpg

xzel87

Enlightened
I like the idea of the light, however dependency on the (no doubt proprietary) battery pack is a big negative for me. Would almost definitely have too much glare as well in an open space, especially with SNOW like what they showed in the GIF images, no idea why they used that as an example. But for your application it might work well in a cave (dark coloured walls absorb light), just be mindful of the IPX7 rating being dependent on the sealing of the cable connector and powerpack.

It's not much different from the H602, being a pure flooder...with some DIY Magnet mods and with the addition of a clip it can be a versatile multi-scenario use light as well.

xdayv

Flashlight Enthusiast
I EDC a SF Minimus inside an E-Niner headlamp pouch w/ Molle attachment loops. Works well for backpacks and Molle compatible bags.

chadvone

Enlightened
hmmm, I like the idea. Expensive. Batteries look like usb power banks. I may get the light by itself and use with the power banks I already have. I would need to see how the UI is. In the timeline they mention stretch goal #1 STROBE mode ?????

Hope it doesn't have strobe.

35 for the light and 10 for the accessories . Still to expensive. I'll just make my own.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
My headlamp works just fine. Also I can put an angle type light on my pack strap. What is the heat transfer on the LEDs? I don't see any real heat sink? Not sure about this.

Edit. Also do I really need one or two USB cables hanging off my pack when on the move at night? More so through the brush? Probably too much glare for use as a camp lantern as well.

Last edited:

Sphinxxx

Newly Enlightened
The only thing i like is the USB power source. That's a neat idea for lights that have remote battery packs anyway. I can see one band of them being bent around the forehead of a helmet (caving, snowboarding, cycling) to supplement a REAL light. I agree that its more of a BEING SEEN light than it is a SEEING light. I also agree that it seems like a terrible idea to have the snow around you BEAMING white blinding you without much throw to see down the hill.....and that logic applies to a lot of scenarios. Plus if i am looking down while hiking (which i often am), wouldn't the LEDs on the shoulder straps be similar to the high beams of a passing car all up in my eyeballs? Pretty much no thanks. Recommended Usage: Part of a Burning Man/ComicCon costume.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like a glorified tent light and probably as much use as one.If I were you I would pay more attention to proper mounting of a decent light rather than look for a light like the kiddy toy on offer.Would suggest you contact your nearest mountain/cave/mine rescue team and have a general chat about what and why they use a particular light.If you have a blue light or army surplus store in your locality very well worth a visit for correct mounting systems such as MOLLE( Modular Lightweight Load-carrying Equipment)