Balance between fast charging time and a long cycle life?

XTAR Light

Enlightened
Vendor
This is about a novel self-adaptive fast charging protocol for cylindrical lithium-ion batteries.
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/345396678_Optimized_fast_charging_protocol_for_cylindrical_lithium-ion_battery_based_on_constant_incremental_capacity_algorithm?fbclid=IwAR11DylQFQy3amlYHjhcUx58AhhYidtJ-yUAWFF69DqloA7OE4M6HDLhWlg

The test results show that the batteries using the new fast charging protocol maintains a capacity of about 90% after 1150 cycles, which far exceeds that of batteries using the constant current fast charging method. It indicates that the proposed charging protocol can improve the cycle life of the battery, while decreasing the charging time.

For achieving a balance between fast charging time and a long cycle life, how about your opinions? ;-)

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
My strategy is to have lots of cells, lots of chargers, and slow charge, except for Eneloop, which get as much as my chargers can do. Admittedly, that is only a measly 0.3625C. But if I was in a hurry, and I had a charger that could charge 18650 at 1C, I would. Otherwise, it takes a couple days to charge an 18650 at about 0.047C. Works for me, though.

3_gun

Enlightened
Having a couple of spare batteries on hand limits my need for fast charging BUT if a new charger would/could allow for longer battery life (in cycles) & be faster at the same time ; it would be worth taking a look

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Curious to read what some of our members get out of this article. How does this process keep Lithium from depositing?

Looks like over time as the batteries age, charging will take longer.

Is slower charging going to definitely result in a longer useful life than this proposed strategy of fast charging?

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

XTAR, do us all a favor and make a higher Watt charger that works off USB C

Like a four bay charger that'll do 3A each bay (for use w/ high quality 21700 & 26650)

thank you