Batteries for camera

Uncle Alvah

Newly Enlightened
I recently purchased a digital camera a Fuji Fine Pix AS 655.
A rather simple, basic, camera.
I have been using rechargeable Energizer batteries from my working stash of flashlight batteries, I'd guess these are about 1-1/2 years old or so.
This camera does not seem to pair well with these cells. Even freshly charged ones show on the camera display as depleted and its not long before the camera will shut down. When it shut off yesterday, I checked the batteries and they read 1.3 and 1,2 volts. When popped into a Fenix E20 they burned bright and strong. The camera is set for the correct battery type.
Is there a battery that might give better service or do I simply need newer rechargeables or what all? Suggestions much appreciated!

justonething

Newly Enlightened
I have a sony camera which uses AAs. It will work with brand new NiMhs but not old ones (which suffers the same problems as you've described) with the exception of eneloops or cycleenergies which works rather well. I expect it will work even better with the new eneloop black ones.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have several digi cams here and all work fine on Eneloop or type batteries.I have more than one Fuji Finepix and just checked them,both working on Eneloop and Eneloop back ups in the case.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently purchased a digital camera a Fuji Fine Pix AS 655.
A rather simple, basic, camera.
I have been using rechargeable Energizer batteries from my working stash of flashlight batteries, I'd guess these are about 1-1/2 years old or so.
This camera does not seem to pair well with these cells. Even freshly charged ones show on the camera display as depleted and its not long before the camera will shut down. When it shut off yesterday, I checked the batteries and they read 1.3 and 1,2 volts. When popped into a Fenix E20 they burned bright and strong. The camera is set for the correct battery type.
Is there a battery that might give better service or do I simply need newer rechargeables or what all? Suggestions much appreciated!

Eneloop rechargeables have a slightly higher voltage discharge curve, so they tend to work better on devices that are voltage-sensitive.

However, you mention that one of your cells read [a resting voltage] 1.2v when you checked it. For a NiMH cell, that's pretty-much fully depleted. It sounds like a bad cell. Get some new cells and you'll probably be okay.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eneloop rechargeables have a slightly higher voltage discharge curve, so they tend to work better on devices that are voltage-sensitive.........
Actually what you probably mean is that the Eneloops discharge curve is flatter than an alkaline. Most of the power is between 1.15 and 1.35v. The alkaline has a slightly steeper discharge curve. High current devices tend to work better with Eneloops. That said, I have no problem with my Cannon SX120IS with Eneloops.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually what you probably mean is that the Eneloops discharge curve is flatter than an alkaline.

That too. But Eneloops 50% discharged have a higher voltage than the older types of NiMH cells do. Yes, it's a flatter discharge curve at high current, but it's also a higher voltage all along the discharge curve even at low current. Maybe we're both saying the same thing.

In any case, any device that won't work with 1.2v-1.3v cells isn't designed very well. It won't work well with alkalines either, when they are about 50% discharged, because the alkalines will only provide about 1.2v-1.3v at that point. If I bought something new that wouldn't work with rechargeables, I'd return it.