Batteries for CL30R lantern

mcease022

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

I am looking for some 18650 options of batteries for the CL30R lantern by fenix. What would give me the longest run times.

Thank for the help.

parametrek

Enlightened
The CL30R doesn't need high drain batteries so any high capacity 3500mAh cell will do the job. However it does need button top cells. If you are in the US check out the battery database link in my sig. The least expensive 3.5Ah button top cells are the $6 LG MJ1 cells over at LiIonWholesale's clearance sale. Otherwise expect to pay $7-$8 each.

Flat top cells can work if you have small rare earth magnets to use as macguyvered button tops.

mcease022

Newly Enlightened
The CL30R doesn't need high drain batteries so any high capacity 3500mAh cell will do the job. However it does need button top cells. If you are in the US check out the battery database link in my sig. The least expensive 3.5Ah button top cells are the $6 LG MJ1 cells over at LiIonWholesale's clearance sale. Otherwise expect to pay $7-$8 each.

Flat top cells can work if you have small rare earth magnets to use as macguyvered button tops.

Thank you for the reply. Would it be wise to go with protected 18650's? Are there any advantages or quality differences between the $7-8 batteries vs the LGMJ1? Im from Canada, so I should have access to most of the ones in your sig. Any ones that you would specifically suggest? I'm fairly new to the world of 18650's and currently only have experience with the Sony VTC6 flat tops for my zebralight.

Thanks again for the help.

parametrek

Enlightened
Fenix ships it with protected batteries. If you are likely to accidentally leave the lantern on over night then protected might be a good idea.

There is no difference between the batteries as far as I know. Li-ion Wholesale is having a big sale right now.

mcease022

Newly Enlightened
Fenix ships it with protected batteries. If you are likely to accidentally leave the lantern on over night then protected might be a good idea.

There is no difference between the batteries as far as I know. Li-ion Wholesale is having a big sale right now.

Thanks for the reply. I will go with some protected cells just to be safe.

fmc1

Enlightened
I have a CL30R also. Mine came with 3 2600mAh batteries. 2600mAh's in a low drain battery is pretty lame by today's standards, so if you go with a 3400 or 3500mAh set of course the run time will improve quite a bit. The lantern does have low voltage protection, it shuts down at about 2.8V. It's still possible to damage an unprotected battery. The scenario would be if you let the batteries drain down to a point where the lantern shuts off, then leave it unattended for a few weeks or more in that condition. The parasitic drain combined with the self discharge could bring the voltage below 2.5V, repeat that process a few times and you have damaged batteries. My experience with LG MJ1's from Lion wholesale has been very positive, because they are higher capacity and higher drain than the originals you will see big improvements in run time especially at the highest output.

Frank

Latest posts