Batteries help

active_arj

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

can someone help me with this flashlight ,please?I have no idea what battery to buy.Thanks!
1000013222.jpg
1000013223.jpg
I need to buy.Thanks!!

Attachments

• 1000013220.png
    1000013220.png
    277 KB · Views: 47

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
2 sub C cells would fit. not sure if your lamp will handle, but in theory it should.

This old light was not designed for modern sub c cells (rechargable, 1.2v either nimh or nicd) it was designed for 1.5v carbon zinc cell, that was same in size, but those are no longer made, last time i saw them it was 35-40 years ago in ussr

active_arj

Newly Enlightened
2 sub C cells would fit. not sure if your lamp will handle, but in theory it should.

This old light was not designed for modern sub c cells (rechargable, 1.2v either nimh or nicd) it was designed for 1.5v carbon zinc cell, that was same in size, but those are no longer made, last time i saw them it was 35-40 years ago in ussr
The bulb is 2.5 V

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
IT will instaflash with freshly charged subC. drain some voltage from cells before using them with your bulb, fresh off charger they are 1.4v, and they have no sag, under such light load, unlike carbon zinc, or alkaline. So your bulb will see full 2.8v . 2x1,5v carbon zinc or alkaline will sag under load and drop to about 2.5v

TurkishCoffee

Newly Enlightened
2xNiMH cells won't instaflash that, they're going to drop to 2.4v very quickly and if anything under-volt it. When it does burn out there are still lots of replacement options btw.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is that not
2 * C cells?
BF cells were about 5 mm smaller in diameter and 7 mm shorter than C cells.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
That's a nice old light.
Welcome to CPF.

Back when that light was new it used a battery that was essentially 2 AA batteries stacked end to end and wrapped with a thick layer of electrical tape and a card board wrap to stamp the brand onto. Later came actual, what we call today C cells. They were carbon zinc recipe's. You can still buy them. Eveready Heavy Duty (black label) and Rayovac heavy duty (yellow label) are carbon zinc batteries available at some big box stores. The outter casing is smaller than alkalines so they fit into those old lights.

A friend of mine makes his own "old school" batteries using AA's, electrical tape and automotive wire loom. When the battery is depleted the AA cartridge is removed from the wire loom and he inserts a fresh one.

Don't leave batteries in that old light. Folks here holler "it will leak". The reason I don't is those old lights tend to have massive parasitic drain so after about a week with it sitting on a shelf turned off, when you go to use it your batteries are dead.

For bulbs they have what are called "E10" screw in kind. E for Edison, 10 for 10mm socket. The model is #14.

Last edited:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
AA's are too long, C's are too long and too fat. 21700's are too long. an 18650 might work with a 3 cell bulb or you could probably use a couple of sub-C's with a 2 cell bulb.