Batteries & XTAR Chargers [Photo thread]

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an SkyRC MC3000 that gets used for battery analysing and serious work. The MC3000 is a fantastic beast, but is not intuitive for quickly putting something on charge. I have just bought a VP2 for less serious quick charge of Panasonic 18650's and RCR123's. I'm a bit disappointed that the VP2 doesn't show capacity or have simple analytical functions. I will probably leave it in the car for use out and about where needed. I am wondering if there is an alternative I can use that will give more basic charge info. Would the VP4 Dragon be something more appropriate for me and is it as good as the VP1 and VP2 are claimed to be with accuracy and cell protection etc. Though I think I say mentioned that battery voltage is not shown with the VP4 Plus Dragon which is a bit of a disappointment.

I have the vp2 and just bought the dragon. Less buttons on the dragon and no choosing the charging amps I think it's automatic and so is the voltage. It has it inside but I ve not figured out how to see it. I see percentage only. So I d say for my needs, dragon plus vp4. Picked up a dragon for £60 on torch direct

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a great thread! Aside from my NiMH only 8 bay Maha charger I only use Xtar chargers for everything else. Have 2 VC4's, 2 VP2's and the Dragon. I used to use Nitecore chargers but after taking an i4 apart out of curiosity only to find the stone cold cheapest electronics and soldering so sloppy I still am at a loss that the thing actually worked for awhile. My VP2's are great. I really like having the .25,.50 and full 1.0 amp option plus the VP2 charges my 4.35v cells quite well just have to remember to set the switch on the rear back to the 3.6v setting afterwards lol.

The Dragon...well...it is of course high quality and very well made but I was expecting more from it. The Dragon is basically a VC4 with a larger display screen and also has the ability to charge at a full amp across all 4 bays. The memory feature on the Dragon which once turned on records the charging pattern of previous cells is in my opinion strange and for me useless. I do not know why it is even a feature.

I use the 2 VC4's I have the most. Have now had them long enough and used them enough to where I am now having to use DeOxit Red D100 electronics cleaner on their contact points more frequently. So...I am now looking into new high quality multi chemistry chargers with common sense features with large display screens that are sharp and legible. This thread has given me a solid starting point.

gopajti

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for all comment guys,

SV2 tested with a new LG HG2 cell (3000mAh), 3.71V -> 4.19V, charging time was 58 minutes with 2A charge current