Battery and charger advice for selected flashlights for a greenhorn

Vladio

Newly Enlightened
Hello guys,

I am very new to this forum and to the idea that there are other batteries than AA/AAA. I only learned about them this week looking up flashlights online. I got hooked and ordered 3 el cheapo ones as a starter pack, something for home with:
nr.1 - "lots of powah" 11 led version, nr.2 - something for home playing, nr. 3 something for the car

1. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hig...32665163261.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.8w4pQZ
  2. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/CRE...32618337777.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.8w4pQZ
  3. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Top...32710519384.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.8w4pQZ

Aaand here my question starts. I have learned that 18650/26650 are not standards per se. There are different lengths, tops, etc. How do I tell what battery do I need for them? I already understand that there are only a few good products worthy of our time ( I am not into the 9900 mAh ones, that go 24$ for 50 pcs ( just exaggerating of course )). I am really unsure about the lengths, protection circuits and the flat vs pointy tops. I am looking into batteries of good quality with long lifetime after charging. I thought some panasonics, surefires or lgs are the best, some cheaper ones could do too since I am a poor guy, really( Please, do advice any other good ones if you have the experience ). The more I read about them the less I am confident in choosing any of them. You guys are insane, in my oppinion. One would think that nuclear reactors are difficult, boy was I wrong. No sire, there are thingies and low profile thingies, circuits and no circuits, I am declaring this witchcraft, since I understand the nuclear part.

For chargers I thought I could go for something easy, I only want to charge/recharge, a lcd display is cool to see. Something like an equivalent of Voltcraft IPC1-L for AA/AAA. I thought Nitecore D4 or Xtar VC4 could do. Also, please advise on such combo. I have also seen a youtube review ( in German ) that I could not find again. In the video an accu didn`t charge, unless it was shifted / missaligned ( sorry for my English fellas ). This also then caused the temperature sensor to not be able to read the battery temperature.

I would really appreciate any advice on good combinations, things to be aware of. I am planning to get a lantern type of light, some battery holders and a few batteries to play around with. Please share your experiences, issues you have discovered, so newbies like myself can avoid traps. If any of you may have batteries that are not top of the notch for high drain usage anymore but would be ok to play around with in a light, ping me. I really like to charge, discharge, store and repeat steps... that is my weakness, I looove batteries. Tons of them. :D

Well for those of you who read it till the end, thank you, those who could share their experience, thank you 10% more :D

Vladio

archimedes

Flashaholic
Hello @Vladio and welcome to CPF !

Your post above has been approved, but your specific question will get better visibility and responses in the Electronics / Batteries subforum, to which it has been moved :)

Cheers !

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Vladio,

Welcome to CPF.

Of the 3 you listed my thought is that #3 would be a good place to start. This allows you to observed using 3 AA cells in contrast with 1 18650 cell. Your observations will help you decide on a future path.

The best way to get a feel for the various brands of batteries and chargers is to read reviews of their testing. CPF has a whole section dedicated to Reviews, this section has a lot of information on batteries and chargers, and look up the reviews by HJK and visit his website where he offers a way to compare various brands.

Tom

Vladio

Newly Enlightened
Thank you guys,

I will definitively look into the reviews. I am hoping to avoid buying batteries and then finding out I could not charge them or use them in the flashlights.

Thanks,
Vladio

Vladio

Newly Enlightened
Hello guys,
today I have bought my first 18650, in a shop, an olight 2400 mah orb-186p26, for when the first light arrives. I am still unsure about the flat vs pointy versions though. I am looking at them in local eshops, but am hesitating which one to get. I was going to go for 2x keeppower in 26650 size.

https://svetelnaposta.sk/akumulatory/26650/c12280

Which would you guys go for 2x26650 and 4x18650?
Although slovak, I think that the shop can be understood well. I have little experience buying batteries online as I cannot tell poor vs good brands or models.

Any feedback is welcome.
Thank you,
Vladio