Battery leaked in my Olight S15 Baton. I need some help with this, please.

mickeyfinn

Newly Enlightened
Hey,

I had a battery leak in my Olight S15 Baton. This is one of my favorites. I've had it for years.

Olight doesn't make them anymore.

I went to *Bay looking for a replacement and only saw a couple. They were going for $150 - $200.

Anyway, I can't get the battery out. It's frozen, really stuck in there.

Should I send it to Olight or is there a trick to removing frozen batteries?

Thank you.

Strintguy

Enlightened
Someone in here has got to have some good advice for this, other than the standard "buy more lights" (which we all love)

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Probably an alkaleak did it, maybe if you are lucky it will be a brand that has a replacement warranty if it leaks. Getting alkaleaks out of stuff can be tough especially if they swell up in tubes they end up stuck like epoxy. Even if you get the battery out the tube and perhaps the electronics can be damaged.

mickeyfinn

Newly Enlightened
I guess I should send it to Olight to determine if it can be fixed, and if it can be fixed, what the cost would be.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
There was a member here recently that cleaned up a pretty bad mess of a leak in a light. Search function should turn it up. I'm on my phone or id try to find it for ya.

mickeyfinn

Newly Enlightened
There was a member here recently that cleaned up a pretty bad mess of a leak in a light. Search function should turn it up. I'm on my phone or id try to find it for ya.

The first thing I did was search for a solution here.

Maybe I didn't use the right keywords.

I've ALWAYS had trouble using the search engine here.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wait, Olight makes 1AA baton lights? How did I not know that.... I gotta look into those. Or was that only for that model in the past?

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I'm not sure of the battery. I can only see the bottom of it.

I think it's one of those generic 14500 rechargeables.

I'm confused here. You say you have had this for years but you don't know what kind/type of battery it is? Is that correct or am I reading this wrong.

mickeyfinn

Newly Enlightened
I'm confused here. You say you have had this for years but you don't know what kind/type of battery it is? Is that correct or am I reading this wrong.

I know it takes AAs as well as 14500 lithium ions.

I'm just not sure which type I had in it that leaked and I can't get it out to look at it.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I know it takes AAs as well as 14500 lithium ions.

I'm just not sure which type I had in it that leaked and I can't get it out to look at it.

I seriously doubt the 14500 leaked. Lithium ion batteries leaking is rather rare from what I've heard.

Tejasandre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is one end sealed? I had a different olight was able to open top & bottom & push the battery out.

mickeyfinn

Newly Enlightened
I believe it only opens from the bottom. If it opens from the top, I can't see how it's done.

Last edited:

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would drill a small hole in the end of the battery you can get to. Run a screw in it and yank it out. I'm like lynx_arc. It's gotta be an alkaleak. Yank it/twist it out. Wear gloves.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I would drill a small hole in the end of the battery you can get to. Run a screw in it and yank it out. I'm like lynx_arc. It's gotta be an alkaleak. Yank it/twist it out. Wear gloves.
Good luck on that. I found a minimag with 2 alkaleaks in it and did the screw bit and yanked the bottom off the battery and then grabbed the side of the battery with needlenose pliers and pulled and twisted and it still wouldn't budge like the goo swelled the battery and then cemented it to the tube for good. I tossed the light in the trash after that it was an incan model so no great loss to me.

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try putting it in a freezer. Sometimes it will help with removing the battery.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good luck on that. I found a minimag with 2 alkaleaks in it and did the screw bit and yanked the bottom off the battery and then grabbed the side of the battery with needlenose pliers and pulled and twisted and it still wouldn't budge like the goo swelled the battery and then cemented it to the tube for good. I tossed the light in the trash after that it was an incan model so no great loss to me.

After the bottom pulled off you shoulda hit it with a Dremel bit to clean the mess off the inside a lot of work but possible to clean out.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
After the bottom pulled off you shoulda hit it with a Dremel bit to clean the mess off the inside a lot of work but possible to clean out.

Way too much work and I don't have a long enough dremel bit to get all the way to the top of the bottom cell to get it out then what if the top cell also barfed just the same I would need a dremel bit about 4 inches or so long and on top of that it could have damaged the contacts on the light itself at the top which isn't worth replacing. That is the problem with metal tube LED lights and alkaleaks once they spew you have to go boohoo. Good friends don't let friends use alkaleaks in nice flashlights.