Battery leaked in my Olight S15 Baton. I need some help with this, please.

spoonrobot

Enlightened
I went to *Bay looking for a replacement and only saw a couple. They were going for $150 - $200.

The S15 is one of my favorite lights. Have a pair I've used for hundreds of hours as bike lights and then work lights.

Interestingly, there appears to be a clone that works on both AA NIMH and 14500 Li-Ion batteries: https://www.banggood.com/On-The-Roa...il-Portable-EDC-LED-Flashlight-p-1337933.html

I'm going to pick one up myself just to see, be neat to have a more updated S15 - even if it is a clone.

mickeyfinn

Newly Enlightened
The S15 is one of my favorite lights. Have a pair I've used for hundreds of hours as bike lights and then work lights.

Interestingly, there appears to be a clone that works on both AA NIMH and 14500 Li-Ion batteries: https://www.banggood.com/On-The-Roa...il-Portable-EDC-LED-Flashlight-p-1337933.html

I'm going to pick one up myself just to see, be neat to have a more updated S15 - even if it is a clone.

Hi,

I wasn't able to order one. I think they may be out of stock.

Were you able to order one?

Thanks.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was just on Olights webpage and I find it interesting that they appear to not make AA lights anymore! I have a Baton at home, but I think mine uses 2AA's. Not sure of the model number. I was going to suggest trying a new model like the S15! I only paid about 30-40 dollars for mine when I got it. Not sure who on Ebay would think that they were worth $200.00!! :thinking: My feeling is that unless Olight is willing to replace it under warranty, the cost for repair would exceed what the light is worth.

spoonrobot

Enlightened
Hi,

I wasn't able to order one. I think they may be out of stock.

Were you able to order one?

Thanks.

I ordered one fine but then the order was canceled a few days ago. Not sure if it's a stock issue or something to do with Coronavirus.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
You know it's funny you say that. I have bought the cheapest crap AA's you can buy. Like 3 bucks for 12. And had them in old lights in my old car for years. No leaks and still works. Get the expensive stuff for my mag's in the house. There shot in 3 months. I don't bother with any of them anymore.

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep. Though I have had others leak, Duras are definitely notorious for leaking. We currently have zero alkalines in use at home. Everything is either eneloop/eneloop Pro/Energizer Recharge/Energizer Lithium (including 9v).

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wait, Olight makes 1AA baton lights? How did I not know that.... I gotta look into those. Or was that only for that model in the past?
The S15 is an older model.

I have one. It is ok, but personally quite a lot of design flaws.

On an AA the output is pretty hopeless tbh. Really very badly performing.

On a 14500 the output was ok, but runtimes are so low to the point of it not being worth using with Li-ion. As it would drop out of regulation and dim. If you only used it on low modes it was ok, but then an Eneloop would likely serve you better.

I found it ran best on 2AA (Eneloop, would never use alkaleaks). And would be able to sustain output and regulation way better than a 14500. The snag here is, the S15 has a tailcap magnet, but it is not strong enough to hold the Baton when in 2AA mode unless it is pointing down. At an angle or horizontal it would just fall off.

The electronic switch is also of the type that will activate in your pocket very easily, so made it a poor EDC light. Also being an electronic switch, it is no good as a backup light either unless you physically lock out the tailcap. It will just drain the batteries otherwise.

Output and beam profile were pretty good however, despite being a horrid cool white tint.

All said and done, I don't think I've used mine in about 3 years now. Which likely says something to the real world issues in making use of such a light.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would put it in a ziplock in boiling water for a few minutes; then see if the head will spin off. It will take some muscle and a way to grip it. Try a mousepad or wrap the parts with rubberbands. Then you can push the offending battery out with a dowel.

Quite a bit of work for an older light, but if you really like it...

Latest posts