Battery sizing for a Klarus RS30

CELICA XX

Newly Enlightened
Hello, I am new to the world of 18650's and this is my first light of the kind. (my current lights are all Surefire 123's)

Is it true that 18650 batteries can vary in length by up to 5.5 mm???

Protected / un-protected ?

My new Klarus RS30 didn't come with batteries.... How do I know what battery to buy for my light?

I have read the manufacturers website and every online review I could find. Neither were specific

Thank you for your help!

lstmichel

Enlightened
THE RS30 Specs say Battery: 2*18650
it also says (Note: Only the 18650 battery with PCB protection can be used)

"protected" cells are a bit longer than unprotected as there is a chip at one end to limit discharge current and over/under charging
a good "protected" cell will limit the current to Approx 6-10 Amps depending on the manufacturer

I use mostly protected cells - but I have two lights that need unprotected - i.e greater than a 10 amp draw
For protected I have - keeppower (3500mah) and eastshine (3500mah) - both acquired on amazon.com
Check to make sure what you buy are the 10amp ones and you should be fine
Klarus makes (well rebrands) their own batteries but they are a bit spendy $20 each
also 3500-3600mah is as good as it gets - if the battery says that is more mah than that - avoid those

Last edited:

CELICA XX

Newly Enlightened
Thank you... I ended up purchasing this on Amazon:

3500mAh 18650 ORBTRONIC Two PROTECTED Rechargeable High Performance Li-ion Batteries 3.7V For High Power 18650 Flashlights - NOT for ecig devices

Do you think this will work ok?

lstmichel

Enlightened
those look really good - they are rebranded Panasonic which is very normal - there are only 5-6 companies that actually make 18650s.
everybody rebrands one of those 5-6 manufactures; And Panasonic is an excellent brand.
The ones you selected also have the 10A cutoff - which is also good
when you get them - let me know how they work out

CELICA XX

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for helping me with the batteries. Upon arriving home and unboxing my new RS30, I discovered that the store gave me a set of Klarus 2600 mAh batteries for free. So I'll be using these and canceling my Amazon order.

I will be charging through the light itself.

So far, so good! The light seems really versatile and it provides enough light even on "moonlight" for general indoor use. It will also run for 1000 hours on this setting.