Battery stuck in E01

The Fred

Newly Enlightened
What on earth happened to him? It's like one of those dramatic/emotional movies... :fail:

No one around apart from one dude in the middle of a post apocalyptic scene calling out something mysterious.... What happened to the battery stuck in the E01?!

:candle:

herosemblem

Enlightened
Attach small split ring to flashlight.
Tie 7 feet of string/paracord to split ring.
Swing flashlight against a tree while holding onto string.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it is funny that after a year and a half, somebody is wondering the outcome of this! :crackup::laughing:;)

dustycanuck

Newly Enlightened
I found this link after discovering my LD01 had been fouled by a leaked duracell.
I keep it on my keychain and use it fairly often, but the last couple of times I had used it, it took a little fiddling with the screw cap before it would come on. Well, the last time, it didn't light at all, and I did what I should have done from the start - opened it up to look.
Yeech.

That sucker had bulged and leak so much that it was a real trial to get it out.
I figured the light was probably lost, but I figured, what the heck, and removed the battery as gently as I could....well, driving a screw into it to pull it out only stripped the guts out of the battery, so I chucked a bit that was about 1/8" less that the LD01's inside diameter into the drill press, turned the rpm down, and gently removed the battery's guts.

By bending the remaining battery casing into the new void, I was able to extract the filthy carcass of the duracell.

Of course, looking into my soiled LD01, it was apparent I would have to remove the spring if I was to have any chance of cleaning out the goop, and fortunately, it turns out that the spring is friction-kit into the tube, and not bonded. It came out ok, but I had to re-roll part of it to get it back in ok.

So now, it has an Eneloop in it, and it seems to work ok, except for a little wonkiness which I'm attributing hopefully to a less than stellar cleanup, or worse, to damage to the head from that goop, pressure, and whatever else.

Cheers

The Fred

Newly Enlightened
Can't seem to get my battery out of my Fenix E01. It still works but won't be able to replace the battery when it goes dead. I did go ahead and buy a new E01 but it would be a shame to have to toss an old friend. Any trick to getting these out?

Magnus1959! What happened in the end? We won't let this thread die! :hitit:

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
One suggestion that I did not see was a modification of the sheetmetal screw idea - set a sheetmetal screw in the end of the cell, and if it doesn't then come out with pliers, clamp the light body in a vice and use a slide hammer (like you use for pulling dents in sheetmetal) to try to extract the cell.

If you have access to a stud welder that might work too.

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
I encountered many stuck items and made a mini slide hammer with a coarse wood screw welded to a male slide hammer part, drill an appropriate sized hole and screw the tool in and slam away (keep your fingers and non expendable body parts safe) I made mine for repairing forklift cylinders, they have a very stout packings (compression seal) and pull.

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Buddy of mine had a slide hammer with a collet that would actually grip a sheet metal screw head, was great, if the screw threads got messed up just use a new screw.

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk 4

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
>>> "try superglue and a wooden dowel" <<<

From my experience superglue has a high holding strength but is pretty brittle when it dries so it doesn't do well with torque. If that battery is REALLY stuck it will probably snap the glue before you get it out. Hmm... maybe a different glue.

Jakeyb

Newly Enlightened
I had this happen. I actually ended up using a lathe to get it out. Drill presses work good too but you really have to line everything up good and make sure it's tight. One thing everyone can do: drill a very small hole in the opposite end and use a Syringe to put a small amount of gorilla glue in it. As the glue dries it expands and bubbles up, it'll push any battery right, out enough to get ahold of it, and seal the hole you just drilled!:naughty:

Confederate

Enlightened
Fascinating. Had the same thing happen just days ago. I got the damn thing out by spraying a silicon spray down the sides and letting it set awhile. Then I turned it upside down, gave it a sharp rap against a piece of pine wood and out it came. The problem was a battery leak. I used Q-tips to clean the battery chamber and a bore brush from a .38/9mm.

It's now working, but I'm really getting to despise alkaline batteries. The new alkies being made now have a 10-year shelf life and no Mercury. Will the new formulation prevent leaking? Don't know, but it's time for the industry to think "lithium." Very few manufacturers and no battery makers will cover battery leakage.

The new E01 is supposed to be brighter...13 lumens versus 10 on the older ones. Any comments?

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had more alkalines leak in the past year than probably in the rest of my life to this point. I'm done with alkalines. NiMH and Li-Ions for me from now on! (and lithium primaries for backup/things that sit around for years.)

Confederate

Enlightened
BTW, has anyone depth tested the E01? I know it's rated to 2 meters, but how deep will it really go? Just curious.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I think the light was sacrificed to the cruel alkaleak gods, and has passed from the light to darkness.

:faint:

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I removed a stuck Duracel by drilling a hole in the battery and screwing in a drywall screw. Then grabbed the screw with large pliers and pulled it out. I let penetrating oil soak into the flashlight for a couple of days before drilling the hole. Used a 9mm wire gun cleaning brush to scrub out the goop....

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Found this thread from a Google search. A friend's Olight i3 has an alkaline AAA (Duracell, natch) stuck fast in its tube. They tried with various pliers to no effect, and I've just finished drilling a hole and trying to get it out with a wood screw - needless to say, the screw stripped the hole and came right out with some of the stupid thing's guts.

What I intend to do now is to rip open the entire top of the cell, get rid of the rest of the guts, and then bend the carcass inward from the inside until I can get it unstuck. Here's to hoping...