Battery Vampires - Lights that you can feed your "dead" cells to, listing..

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Re: Battery Vampires - Lights that you can feed your "dead" cells to, listing..

I've recently noticed that the QMini AA Warm seems to do a good job. It appears to not need too much voltage to re-fire.

Geoff

red02

Enlightened

Maratac AA fires on almost dead cells, no noticeable PWM even then. Although all the modes are the same. It's replaced my GUI as the SHTF/AA battery vampire light. Its also very shiny.

Dude Dudeson

Enlightened

I keep thinking there has to be a better way of utilizing "excess" battery power than by actually RUNNING such cells in a device.

I dream of a device that looks like a big, multiple type battery charger, except you put your "dead" cells in there and shoot that electricity into your cellphone, MP3 player, or whatever...

bstrickler

Enlightened

I keep thinking there has to be a better way of utilizing "excess" battery power than by actually RUNNING such cells in a device.

I dream of a device that looks like a big, multiple type battery charger, except you put your "dead" cells in there and shoot that electricity into your cellphone, MP3 player, or whatever...

In other words, a boost converter with a USB port, to put out 5.5 volts @ whatever current the battery can supply, until pronounced dead... I might have to try coming up with that soon. Just wonder how many people would use it.

~Brian

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast

In other words, a boost converter with a USB port, to put out 5.5 volts @ whatever current the battery can supply, until pronounced dead... I might have to try coming up with that soon. Just wonder how many people would use it.

~Brian

:hitit:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

SOrry, havent noticed i need to update this.....

Crenshaw

red02

Enlightened

~Brian

:paypal: if it could charge a cell phone or a mp3 player

Imon

Enlightened

I've noticed that my Icon Rouge 1AA will run on AA cells that I thought previously were dead. Has anyone else noticed this?

fisk-king

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've noticed that my Icon Rouge 1AA will run on AA cells that I thought previously were dead. Has anyone else noticed this?

I wonder what was the voltage of your dead "alkey" cells when installed.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

my black and decker 2AAA swivel head light will run on just one battery down to around 1.2v or about 0.6v/AAA (using 2 AAAs).

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Battery Vampires - BooYah!

Sounds like a variation of the portable USB charger theme, I've seen Duracell marketing THESE and thought You Beauty! I suppose they could be hacked to accept a wider variety of cell power sources :thinking:

BTW the P60 5mm LED drop-in can turn any P60 host into a battery vampire a CR123a dummy cell is highly recomended for 2 x CR123a host casings to prevent :poof:

Vampire002.jpg

Kestrel's 5mm "Radio Shack" LED P60 module

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Battery Vampires - BooYah!

Sounds like a variation of the portable USB charger theme, I've seen Duracell marketing THESE and thought You Beauty! :thumbsup:

I suppose they could be hacked to accept a wider variety of cell power sources :thinking:

BTW the P60 5mm LED drop-in can turn any P60 host into a battery vampire a CR123a dummy cell is highly recomended for 2 x CR123a host casings to :poof:

Plus, the P60 5mm LED Drop-in can be ran on 2 AA's in a 3-Cell P60 host, making it an excellent light for a bug-out bag :thumbsup:.

KenAnderson

Enlightened

Don't forget the McLuxIII-PD and the McLuxIII-Ti-PD

On High and Low settings, runs for 40 hours on a CR123 on low, will drain a battery.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast

Plus, the P60 5mm LED Drop-in can be ran on 2 AA's in a 3-Cell P60 host, making it an excellent light for a bug-out bag :thumbsup:.

Excellent point! :thumbsup:

Just for the record my early series L1 ceases to put out any useful quantity of light when the CR123a hits 2.7~2.8v, perhaps the newer variants can drain a cell further? IDK :candle:

Kestrel

Flashaholic

Excellent point! :thumbsup:

Just for the record my early series L1 ceases to put out any useful quantity of light when the CR123a hits 2.7~2.8v, perhaps the newer variants can drain a cell further? IDK :candle:
I recently found out that a CR123 that can't run my SF T1A on 'max' (i.e. it 'flashes' until the output is turned down) can still run my (comparable output) SF L1 'Cree' on its high mode with no apparent decrease in the L1's output compared to a fresh cell. :thumbsup: (I'm not sure for how long, though)

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just got a 5th Gen L1....the runtime is stated at 90 hours on low, so I'm thinking this generation has to drain it pretty good...I was gonna get rid of it, since I have another 6th gen L1 incoming, but that 90 hour runtime of useful light with such excellent UI is to good to pass-up. Plus, the "1.1 SF Lumens" is more like 5-7 lumens.

So,

Put the 5th gen L1 down as a vampire!

Kestrel

Flashaholic

Just got a 5th Gen L1....the runtime is stated at 90 hours on low, so I'm thinking this generation has to drain it pretty good...I was gonna get rid of it, since I have another 6th gen L1 incoming, but that 90 hour runtime of useful light with such excellent UI is to good to pass-up. Plus, the "1.1 SF Lumens" is more like 5-7 lumens!
Would you mind posting pics if you can (both of your 5th gen L1 and particularly the printed packaging w/ SF's runtime/output numbers if you have it) in my L1 thread in my sig? Those earlier long-runtime L1's are great. :thumbsup:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic

My L1 Cree is an excellent vampire. Batteries that no longer fire in my QMini 123 or LF3XT will run nicely on low. And it will continue to restart even when it's barely a glow.

Geoff

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yeah that L1 glow is all I'm geting @ 2.7~2.8v, I'd appreciate if anyone could tell me what voltage the later L1's cease to function at (in relation the the cell) might help to further persuade me to "retire" this Gen2 as purely a collectable :thumbsup:

* peeks at AOW's Gen5 L1 *