BE AMAZED! The New Fenix LD42 LED Flashlight Upgrade is Released

mk2rocco

Flashlight Enthusiast
Love my plastic Surefire G series lights. I'll give it a try [emoji2369]

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
With all due respect, the 8th photo down clearly states that the body is made of plastic, so I'll defend Fenix - there is NOTHING misleading about that. Do we think that Fenix did not test the light under extended run times on turbo? IMO, not likely.

I have 6 Fenix lights, and they're the only brand I buy other than USA made Malkoff and Maglite. I've always been impressed with their quality, modes & interface, and customer service.

I'm not in the market for AA lights since I've gone to Li-ion cells, but I would not be afraid to try this model. If you can melt it, I'm sure Fenix would replace it.

Just my 2 cents.

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had edited my post to clarify that I wasn't referencing the multi page brochure attached to this thread but that edit disappeared as did some other back and forth conversation in the thread.

It is the description on the light's web page that is misleading. It says "Premium materials are used to craft the LD42, including high-strength oxidation-resistant aluminum." Given that the whole body is plastic, this sentence at the very least should state something like aluminum and high strength abs plastic or whatever it is. The standard Fenix copy omits the fact that the light is plastic.

I came very close to buying this light based on the short description—I only realized it was after the extended write up was included here and someone posted that it was plastic.

You mention that you like Malkoff. Coincidentally Malkoff warns on their pages not to use their drop ins for extended periods in Surefire plastic bodied flashlights... I'd have no qualms about plastic in a lower powered light but this thing pushes 1000 lumens. Will get hot.

Edit: my edit to my earlier post is back as well as the missing poets. Very strange that it seemed to disappear for a while.

Last edited:

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast

The LD22 upgrade is in the plans, with no date announcements right now.

Please... Make a new LD22 with something like a neutral and/or high CRI XHP50.2 and I will buy two. Or slightly smaller emitter if the XP-G3 (is that the most recent version?) is available in a high cri neutral. I remember my LD20 back in the day did have a good beam profile and balance of throw/flood. I still miss that light after losing it a long time ago :)

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
I mean, everyone said the same thing years ago about "plastic guns" and look at the market now.

That said, I would be curious as to the exact material and how it holds up in a frequently used 1000 lumen light 6 months to a year later...

My Fenix LD40 is still one of my favorite lights. I get if people are worried about superior drop resistance, but in terms of heat dissipation it will be fine especially using a V3 xp-l. Also, having plastic body lights is great for winter use.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
My question is how do the batteries load? If you have to constantly unscrew the aluminum head off of the plastic bidy how long are the threads going to last?

syga

Newly Enlightened
Agree with others, won't buy a plastic light at that price...

LRJ88

Enlightened
I'll have to go against the popular opinion in this thread, one of the main reasons i'm interested in this light is that it does have a plastic body, there's plenty of companies selling plastic/semi-plastic flashlights now but this looks to me like a format where it'd be appropriate, especially if the body of the flashlight only contains the springs to complete the circuit too. Add in a yellow body for it and my wallet won't be happy with me.

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess this is what makes horse races

Agree that with a yellow body this would get more interesting but for me that's in a single or double cell light driven at lower wattage.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just noticed that Fenix released this light. My thoughts:

Rotary switch: great! Since long time I wish Fenix should release updated TA-series. I have TA30 and like it but unfortunately it shuts down after a few seconds so something is wrong with it. So LD42 is interesting. The opportunity to lower the level without cycle through higher levels is good. I think the light should have a button switch for on/off so you could go directly to the desired level, though.

Plastic body: I don't consider that as a bad thing if it's durable high quality plastic. Taking in consider that the turbomode is not intended to be used(and has a stepdown) for extended time I think it's not a drawback. At high mode of 350lm the head will be more than capable to dissipate the heat away.

Only cool white: yes, that has for long time been a complaint from as well me and many other that Fenix is so restricted with offering neutral white options. I wish Fenix start to change that and release every model in both cool and neutral white!

Last edited:

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about an infinite rotary switch, but with detents at 1/3 and 2/3 max lumens (probably not same as 1/3 start to end distance).

No statement about Nimh on product page:
https://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-ld42-aa-flashlight-1000-lumens/

If I recall correct TA 21 has infinite rotary mode ring. I would like a light with rotary mode ring and tail switch(or on/off switch close to the mode ring) with 3 modes: 10, 100 and 500 lumen. Like with TA 30(which has 9, 60 and 225lm) Yes, strobe as well but you can easily feel with your hand in the darkness what mode you put on because it's a distinct mechanic design. That means you can avoid accidental activation of strobe and know which mode is active before you turn the light on even without using your eyes. I like that.

AuroraLite

Enlightened
I for one actually support the plastic body, so as long it is durable and of good quality(if we look at Streamlight/Pelican/UK, they are not all bad products).

I do own the LD41 but the weight is around 190 grams, which is almost twice as much as this new LD42 at 100 grams. Although the LD41 is quite well built, I did wish to see an iteration in lighter material which could sustain minor fall and drops. This weight reduction is certainly a welcomed change to me, and let's hope it is reasonably durable for use. And I do appreciate Fenix continue the effort to make large reflector 'thrower' using the primary batteries, so in different battery types, people can always find options to what they need.

Last edited:

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received this light yesterday. This light is quality through and through. Great interface, great beam. Very happy with this purchase.

SKV89

Enlightened
Measurements taken with the Texas Ace Lumen Tube calibrated with Maukka lights and Sekonic C-800-U. Output measured at 2s from turn on.

Fenix LD42Highest Mode988 lumens6880K0.0007 DUV69.8 CRI-23.7 R941.6 R1265 Rf96 RgFujitsu/Eneloop Pro
Fenix LD422nd highest382 lumens6372K0.0046 DUV69.5 CRI-32.1 R939.3 R1266 Rf95 RgFujitsu/Eneloop Pro

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Come on Fenix, start offering neutral white as an option for all your lights. I stopped buying Fenix because of this very thing. I do love my neutral LD40 from back in the day. Still going strong with its plastic body, but please, more neutral.

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
Come on Fenix, start offering neutral white as an option for all your lights. I stopped buying Fenix because of this very thing. I do love my neutral LD40 from back in the day. Still going strong with its plastic body, but please, more neutral.

I agree on that. Last good batch was PD32UE with 4300K XML2 4C emitter

Sent from Tapatalk

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree. Love Fenix, but wish they were a bit more like Thrunite, only in offering various tints. Even high cri options :)

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone here bought the light? I am seriously considering to get it. But I wonder about the runtime. A reviewer at Amazon wrote about turbomode: "..it lasts more than 8 seconds and then reverts back to the next lower setting..."
I don't know what that means, ~9s? Anyone measured the runtime before stepdown at turbomode?

photonhoer

Newly Enlightened
I've been an intermittent poster and reviewer since 2006. I do not collect flashlights per se; I have however used them all over the globe in various degrees of situational criticality.

I understand the various opinions about plastic bodies, and they are certainly worth raising, esp. perhaps if you are collecting.

I have used several plastic bodied lights in remote area traveling [think jungles and deserts] and in medical volunteering, where we on occasion did surgery by hand-held or headlamp lights.

I have fumble-dropped several lights over the years onto rock scabs and into a river from a dug-out canoe. My experience is that the plastic lights I used going back at least a decade [primarily from Pelican, UK, Princetontec, and Streamlight] never once failed due to long run time [e.g., heat] or physical impact from droppage or crushing in cargo.

I just received two new Fenix LD42 lights, one for my car and one for my house. I have not dropped them yet, but I did run a whole set of batteries on 'turbo' to see if heat might cause an issue: not that I could discern, no melting and they still light up just fine. My current opinion is that they are GREAT for what they seem designed for - bright light, universal replaceable batteries, and dummy-proof variable lighting levels.

Just my two cents.