beginner road bike???

rdonber

Newly Enlightened
The Triban 520 is a good beginner bike also. Affordable and versatile all-around.

ssanasisredna

Enlightened
What is more popular here, if you aren't into wearing lycra and looking like a multi coloured fluro traffic billboard, is flat bar road bikes. Sort of a first cousin to a road bike, but flat bars and tyres more than likely around the 700c x 32 size, give or take, rather than the skinnier road tyres. Discs on road bikes are popular also, albeit very minimal,

Here we call that a fast hybrid. Hybrids typically had tires in the 35-40 range, but now 32 is very popular. Disc brakes are getting very popular now.

What size tire are you running there? They look like they may be 23s? Most road cyclists are moving to 25s now, even 28s. It depends on the type of riding you are doing. Modern high pressure 25/28's have as little rolling resistance as the 23s, but are of course heavier. That's fine once up to speed, but a bit more effort to accelerate. For 99.9% of riders, the lower rolling resistance is a better compromise especially at 25mm. I was riding a friends bike with high pressure low rolling resistance 28s. It was a nice ride on the older pavement.

harro

Enlightened
Here we call that a fast hybrid. Hybrids typically had tires in the 35-40 range, but now 32 is very popular. Disc brakes are getting very popular now.

What size tire are you running there? They look like they may be 23s? Most road cyclists are moving to 25s now, even 28s. It depends on the type of riding you are doing. Modern high pressure 25/28's have as little rolling resistance as the 23s, but are of course heavier. That's fine once up to speed, but a bit more effort to accelerate. For 99.9% of riders, the lower rolling resistance is a better compromise especially at 25mm. I was riding a friends bike with high pressure low rolling resistance 28s. It was a nice ride on the older pavement.

Correct, they are a 23 Conti GP4000 front and rear. I normally run about 100 - 105 psi in them. My FBRB or fast hybrid has Vittorias on it, and I run them at about 80 psi. Thinking about putting a set of Schwalbe Big Apples 29er x 2.0 on my MTB. It does mainly paths and hard pack dirt roads/trails, I don't see virtually any mud on it ( I think that means I am a slack mtb'er!! ). It get used for trails and bush track rides, nothing like downhill etc. Over the time span of this thread, the odd fatbike, and certainly more than a few cyclocross bikes have started to make an appearance around this area. I think people have started to realise the benefits that these formats have. I would have no problems with putting my roadie on the market, and going to a cyclocross bike.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Bump for Chance 'the gardiner'

lots of info not many pictures wink wink 👀

turbodog

Flashaholic
They're basically bullet-proof from what I've read. I hear they take a few thousand miles just to break in, and last literally forever. Besides, they can be rebuilt if need be. As far as efficiency, I think the top 7 speeds are about the same as a derailleur, the bottom 7 speeds a little less efficient. Overall a great product which I would buy in a heartbeat if I could afford it.
1654484641129.png

Old thread, but thought I would add this. I've owned some of these for ~10 years now. It's reported by the company that there has never been a failure that has rendered the hub un-rideable.

It excels at mud/etc that would jam a regular cogset/derailleur. It also excels if you want something bulletproof that's almost maintenance free for YEARS at a time.

There is a small efficiency penalty when things are dry/clean. When things get muddy... it's about par for a nasty normal drivetrain. The penalty is a slight sponginess. It's minimized if you have a good clean pedal stroke & cadence.

Yes, it took hundreds of miles before the thing quit sounding like a washing machine. It's dead quiet now.

You can shift while pedaling forward, stopped, or pedaling backwards.

Gear 11 is direct drive.

Here's a shot of it on a my mtn touring bike. It was a retrofit... in a perfect world I would want adjustable dropouts.

1654485067070.png

Pic of one on my trail riding mtn bike.

1654485291350.png

raggie33

*the raggedier*
does bike weight really matter ? if your useing it to get grocieires