Benchmade 940 and 940-1, ultimate EDC?

Lantern32

Enlightened
Hello Everyone!

I'm looking for a casual EDC. I've looked at the spyderco Paramilitary 2, but it's too tactical looking. I want to be able to pull my knife out at the dinner table and cut a steak. I don't want to pull my knife out at the dinner table and scare everyone!

This is why I turned to the Benchmade 940 knives. They are elegant, well engineered, and pretty tough too!

My question is- which knife should I choose! Should I go for the tougher S90V steel? I will NOT be sharpening my knife. I will either send it back to Benchmade or take it to a knife sharpener. I ruined my last knife on a stone... If S90V steel is way better, then I'll get the 940-1.

rob74

Newly Enlightened
Hi!
I have a 940 with S90V and I love the knife, it's the one with carbon fiber handle and it looks beautiful.
The steel is not easy to sharpen in my humble opinion so, as you will not be doing it yourself, I think it's a good buy!

Rob

Lantern32

Enlightened
Hi!
I have a 940 with S90V and I love the knife, it's the one with carbon fiber handle and it looks beautiful.
The steel is not easy to sharpen in my humble opinion so, as you will not be doing it yourself, I think it's a good buy!

Rob

Hi Rob! How does the knife cut through things? I've heard that it doesn't cut super well. I believe that I should get the carbon fiber one because of the super strong steel!

rob74

Newly Enlightened
I had no complaints about the sharpness out of the box.
I use it in my rotation of edc knives and it is time for me sharpen it now after almost a year. And to be honest I have a bit of a hard time to get it as sharp as I want.

Lantern32

Enlightened
I had no complaints about the sharpness out of the box.
I use it in my rotation of edc knives and it is time for me sharpen it now after almost a year. And to be honest I have a bit of a hard time to get it as sharp as I want.

I'm going to send my knife to Rob at TheApostleP, so I'm not worried about getting a razor sharp blade on it :). Sounds like I should go for the carbon version for about 70 dollars more!