Best 18650 Flashlight at the moment Under $30?

Nichia!

Banned
All I can do is give U an advice:-
When Zebralight releases a new light just don't jump into it when it's first released. the first few batches will have some issues. U need to wait for some time until they fix all the problems that's comes with the first few batches.

TCY

Enlightened
Fireclaw has been very unlucky with ZLs.. I'm simply shocked, how unlucky can a man be to have so many defective ZLs? But for the record I believe his side of the story 100%.

I wouldn't trust a Nitecore with my life since I had my first "good" light which was the P12 fail almost right after a single drop to the ground, waist height, yet most of CPFers say NC lights are super reliable, some of them have over a dozen of NC lights and none has ever malfunctioned. I respect that, but based on my side of the story I just wouldn't trust a Nitecore anymore. On the other hand, I dropped my SC62w on solid concrete over a year ago, chest height (I was throwing and catching and I screwed up). The drop didn't even chew through the anodizing, and the light is still going strong which make me respect ZL's dependability even more. I developed a weird habit after I got my H53Fc which is taking it to the shower to see if it can handle some water. 4 months and still kicking like a champ.

That said, a ZL light is more expensive than most mass produced substitutes on the market which do scare people away. However, I quote CelticCross74: "...the sheer scale of value you get with the new SC600 MkIII in any variant is unmatched" and I believe this statement applies to any ZL lights. I have three of them and I plan to get more, if one is not planning to step into HDS/Elzetta/Malkoff territory for that bomb proof build quality, a ZL light is what I consider an end game EDC light. Look at ven, he has dozens of high end lights, he got one ZL, was instantly hooked and now he has more than I do.:popcorn:

Dio

Newly Enlightened
I agree with you, but I think you are missing the point of the D4. The D4 is a enthusiasts light. The lack of potting is why I would trust a Zebra over the D4, but it's what makes it so mod friendly, on purpose. The main two gripes I have with the D4 is the lack of regulation at moderate levels (at least 500-600 lumens), and the button that's too easily accidentally activated.

Is being mod friendly really the point of not potting it? I mean, it comes in most desirable emitters and tints so unless one was uber picky, they should be able to choose one that satisfies them and not need to mod it. I certainly agree it is definitely an enthusiasts light - I would never lend it to anyone I know personally unlike other lights I own.

I'm not knocking the D4 - as I said I have one and I do think it's great - it pushes the boundry of what can be achieved in such a small package and compared to other lights of similar price with similar components, it really blows them away from what I have read. But wouldn't potting it increase build costs and complexity which is kinda what they didn't want to do!?

I don't think one needs to have a potted light and I don't think being potted makes a light automatically better than another either but it does add to the sense of sturdyness which, while possibly only psychological, will ultimately allow the user more peace of mind. Funnily enough, like you, I don't trust Nitecore and I've never even owned one!

Choose whatever light you feel comfortable with and can afford is ultimately all that matters in the end. Buy it, use it and enjoy it!!

Agpp

Enlightened
Is being mod friendly really the point of not potting it? I mean, it comes in most desirable emitters and tints so unless one was uber picky, they should be able to choose one that satisfies them and not need to mod it. I certainly agree it is definitely an enthusiasts light - I would never lend it to anyone I know personally unlike other lights I own.

I'm not knocking the D4 - as I said I have one and I do think it's great - it pushes the boundry of what can be achieved in such a small package and compared to other lights of similar price with similar components, it really blows them away from what I have read. But wouldn't potting it increase build costs and complexity which is kinda what they didn't want to do!?

I don't think one needs to have a potted light and I don't think being potted makes a light automatically better than another either but it does add to the sense of sturdyness which, while possibly only psychological, will ultimately allow the user more peace of mind. Funnily enough, like you, I don't trust Nitecore and I've never even owned one!

Choose whatever light you feel comfortable with and can afford is ultimately all that matters in the end. Buy it, use it and enjoy it!!

Personally I also think that money was the motivation to not pot the driver. But I may be wrong.
Nevertheless I certainly don't agree that there are all desired emitters available.
What is lacking is at least:
* 219b
* 219c D240 CRI 90
* XP-L2 CRI 90 (the highest output CRI 90 emitter reported in this light)
* XP-L W2, dedomed

I would also wish a dedomed SST40 instead of XP-L W2, but this would require a PCB that I don't think is available. Not that it would be a problem for Emisar....

stephenk

Enlightened
I recently got a thorfire tk15s xpl2 and was amazed by its quality and brightness. The ui is the same as nitecore p12 or Fenix pd35, with tail switch to turn on and off, side switch to change mode. It is a general all around light, but also designed for biking because when it is on, holding the side button for one second gives you the bike flashing.
Quality is great. Bright. Xpl2 tint is neutral. Right now is $28 on amazon. Search for it on amazon. There are lots of reviews around too.
I'll +1 on the Thorfire TK15S as being one of the current best <$30 18650 lights. Having the ability to use the momentary/forward clicky on any memorised mode (including the strobe and bike modes) is very useful for me. Review is in my signature.

TheBelgian

Newly Enlightened
Alright thanks everyone ended up ordering the BLF A6 , about $18.3 after cashback.
Spent way way way too much time and couldn't find anything better myself as well for the stuff I wanted.
btw are the high-discharge batteries really needed for these? I have a bunch of old cells taken out from laptop batteries that I'm using , do you get any real performance boost with likes of samsung 30q or just a very tiny barely noticable boost with these flashlights?

I'll try to get it back on topic.
Laptop batteries are often low capacity (2200mAh or so) and not particularly high drain, so if you have a high performance single cell light like the BLF A6, you might want to go for a better battery. Especially if you want to use the high mode much. If you use the high mode a lot I suggest the samsung 30q, lg hg2 or sony vtc6. If you want to get most runtime out the lower modes, I suggest the sanyo ga or lg mj or samsung 35e.
In unprotected form they're not that expensive, so maybe buy one to try.

Blackbeard

Enlightened
one more question, I see on MTN they have a few recommended batteries for this that are all unprotected, will a protected cell fit? or will it trip the protection in this light too fast?

Agpp

Enlightened
one more question, I see on MTN they have a few recommended batteries for this that are all unprotected, will a protected cell fit? or will it trip the protection in this light too fast?

According to MTN "Protected batteries are not supported."

TCY

Enlightened

ZL's specification: Battery: One 18650 size (i.e. unprotected, 65.0-65.2 mm long) 3.6-4.35V li-ion rechargeable. Basically any protected cell would be too long to fit.