Best battery type for ZTS tester?

PhotoWiz

Newly Enlightened
I recently purchased a ZTS MBT-1 tester which requires AA batteries. The factory advice is to use alkalines, but I'd rather not have the leaking issue. I was told that rechargeable batteries could be a problem because the tester gives up at 1.1 volts. Also, the rechargeables lose their charge in storage.

My thought is that the new LSDs don't have that problem and the device is low-drain. So if I used Eneloops, I would expect them to be useful for extended periods. I have tried them briefly and appear to work OK. Also, if I have the tester with me on the road, I almost certainly have extra cells.

Any reason NOT to use LSDs in this application?

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have a ZTS yet, but if I did I would use an Eneloop/Duraloop.

If the tester was going to be subjected to large temperature swings while on the road, I'd opt for an Energizer lithium primary.

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have a ZTS either. The only thing I can think of that might be a problem, is if the ZTS is voltage sensitive, and relies on the higher voltage of alkalines, under very light loads, to function properly and give an accurate reading. Also, there is the possibility that LSD NiMH cells may work initially, when they are fully charged, but as their voltage drops a bit, the ZTS may quit working when they still have a fair amount of capacity left.

Since you tried LSDs, and they seem to work OK, I'd say there probably isn't a problem, at least when the LSD cells are fully charged. What you might want to do, is test some cells powering the ZTS with both alkalines and LSD NiMHs, and see if you get different readings. If the readings are the same, I'd say you're good to go. :)

Dave

fishinfool

Enlightened
I've had my ZTS MBT-1 since March and have been using Duraloops and Eneloops and so far it's been working just fine.

PhotoWiz

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the comments. I'll do the check using both alkalines and LSDs, but I'm expecting no change.

Hank Zudd

Newly Enlightened
I bought a bag of ray-o-vac AAA's on some clearance board last year; 100 for $15.00, including shipping. 20 were below 20%; the rest, mostly 80%.

been using the hell outta them, and the ones in storage are still at 80%; using in my ZTS for +6 months now problem free.

WDG

Enlightened
Eneloops in mine, also. If I'm not mistaken, the ZTS does a power-up check, so I believe it would catch if the voltage was too low.

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently purchased a ZTS MBT-1 tester which requires AA batteries. The factory advice is to use alkalines, but I'd rather not have the leaking issue. I was told that rechargeable batteries could be a problem because the tester gives up at 1.1 volts. Also, the rechargeables lose their charge in storage.

My thought is that the new LSDs don't have that problem and the device is low-drain. So if I used Eneloops, I would expect them to be useful for extended periods. I have tried them briefly and appear to work OK. Also, if I have the tester with me on the road, I almost certainly have extra cells.

Any reason NOT to use LSDs in this application?
The device is not quite as low drain as you think because it is applying a load to each cell to test it.

I use alkalines in mine and to answer your final question if there's any reason not to use LSD cells, my response is the same for most of my applications regarding LSDs, alkalines or primary lithiums.

When I use LSDs, I want some 'return' for using them. I won't use them in a TV remote where a 20¢ alkaline will work without a problem for 2-5 years.

The other place that I won't use them is where I don't know how much I'm discharging them and they don't get recharged on a fairly regular basis, like the ZTS. If there's a chance that they will get over discharged, it's not worth it to me to subject a $2.50-$3.00 cell to the possibility of ruining it or at least shortening it's life. I use LSDs in applications where I would be going through primaries quickly and I'm likely to recharge them regularly.

I personally think that it's a mistake to think of LSDs as a replacement for alkalines in low drain applications like remotes or lights, etc. that get thrown into a drawer and used once or twice every 2-3 years. They're expensive cells and require some attention to make their use cost effective.

One the most dramatic differences that LSD cells were apparent in were digital cameras. With NiMH cells you didn't know if you'd be able to take pics or not and particularly how many. LSD cells gave you confidence that you'd be able to take pics if you only used your camera occasionally, but we still need to care for our cells and recharge them before they over discharge.

Alkalines still have a shelf life of 7 years. They have a tendency to leak when subject to temperature extremes, over use and with uneven cells. I've never had them leak in a remote that I use. I've had them leak in a remote that was no longer being used after 5-6 years. In fact, every application that I've had alkalines leak in were in things that I didn't use regularly or often.

The answer to prevent damage from leaking alkalines seems to be to change them out once or twice a year in anything that you are concerned about them leaking in. And that's overkill.

I use lithium primaries in EDCs for their lighter weight, extra brightness, longer life, not subject to temperature extremes and not likely to leak. I also use them in lights that stay in my car mainly for temperature extremes. I don't use them everything simply because they're expensive.

txlair

Newly Enlightened
The MBT-1 tester looks very compelling and has a solid price tag. Are there any comparable or lower price alternatives that test 18650s or are the ZTS testers considered the standard?

PhotoWiz

Newly Enlightened
In my situation, I am using the ZTS tester for my photo equipment — flash batteries, radio slaves, flashlights, etc. I am doing enough photo sessions each year that I will be recharging batteries regularly — certainly within the lifetime of an eneloop charge. So, it's no trick to put the tester batteries in the rotation.

The ZTS does tell you when the supply voltage gets too low (1.1 volts I think.) And my battery tests give the same results using either alkaline or NiMH.