Best Bike Rear Light for about $10?

wauwau

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys with your suggestion I bought a BFL A6 and it has been really cool, Now I need a rear light for my bike as well
bigsmile.png

Can anyone suggest something that is of very good quality,good price,with good mount and just a good light for this purpose?
It can either run from 18650 or from AA or AAA.
Whats the best you can get in $5-$10 price range?

fneuf

Newly Enlightened
The one rear light I'm using since 2011 is the Smart Lunar R2. Enoughly bright for even day usage, great side visibility, a specific "strobe" mode (called disco or whatever) that avoids repetitive patterns and enables to really catch attention of other road users (the only mode I'm using infact). Quick mounting bracket with ability of toolfree angle adjustment, designed for AAA, works flawlessly on 2 NiMh and waterproof. To be true in years of usage I have not really find it a default.

What I would like is an updated version of it with newer and more efficient LED, to give it an even better runtime (not that the original one is bad). The update that arrived is a USB rechargeable version... So I guess at some point I'll have to mod it on my own.

An unbranded version is available for less than 5$ on dx. Totally worth the try.

Last edited:

fneuf

Newly Enlightened
It seems no primary batteries are included in this offer. Other difference the bracket is horizontal. Anyway I can't promise you this one is perfect (I have no experience with this seller).

However, I have 3 different versions of this light:

1. the "original" Smart Lunar R2 bought 21€
  2. a "LE" branded one, bought for 7€ on amazon
  3. the one I have shown you from DX for 4€
To my eyes and eyes of my friends all performs equally bright. I have not ran any runtime tests though.
1 has a specific PCB, and some additionnal modes (7 in total). It also has a semi transparent bottom chassis.
2 & 3 share the same PCB (and have only 3 modes, but they kept the most useful one). They have a full black plain chassis

I bought 2 & 3 because buying spare mounting brackets (to mount on other bikes) was costlier than buying a "grey branded" version of the original version.

Last edited: