Best D Cell Light??? Need Replacement for Husky 200

g.p.

Enlightened
Howdy! Long time lurker, first time poster! :kiss:

I recently dropped my Home Depot Husky 200 Lumen Cree flashlight, and broke the switch. I work as an aircraft maintenance engineer, and need something to replace it since I work at night. My employer provides D cells for our lights, so I would like to find a decent light that takes them (since they are free to me!). I loved my Husky, but it is not available in Canada, and it looks like it may not even be available in the U.S. anymore.:thumbsdow

I have a Malkoff drop in for my Maglite, but the Husky seemed to be even better and brighter. I also don't care for the switch cover on the Maglite. The rubber cover always goes missing, and oil gets inside of the light.

So any ideas of a 200+ lumen D cell light??? I've done several searches, but haven't come up with much. When I do find something it seems to be hard to get in Canada. A website that ships North of the border would be very helpful.

Thanks!

Last edited:

g.p.

Enlightened
Re: Best D Cell Light???

I can also get AA cells at work, so that may be an option. I would prefer D cells for run time, but the options seem limited.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are a number of good C cell lights out there although the c and d cell offerings are still limited. The only D Cell light I can think of is the duracell daylight 2D.

If you are interested in c cell, there is the rayovac sportsman extreme, the lows taskforce and I believe lumapower makes a c cell light as well.

For AA lights, I think you might like the Fenix LD40 or the TK40

g.p.

Enlightened
I can probably get work to buy C cells too. Thanks, I'll check those out!

cableguy

Newly Enlightened
I would also like to buy a quality d cell light for my house light. a very long running bright light for emergency use. I live where earthquakes are common. why doesn't anyone make something like this?

deadrx7conv

Enlightened
Just get a Maglite, Dorcy, or Brinkman. Nothing wrong with the Duracell/Energizer ones either. I think Sears has a couple Craftsman ones too.

I doubt that there is a best, but my Maglites are 80's and 90's vintage and used as tools, and not for show and tell like many lights here. I'm surprised you'd had problems with the switch cover..... I've never had a problem with mine but my friends have lost a couple. Once you get a good cover to fit, it'll stay on.

I have upgraded most of my flashlights with LEDs. So, if you don't find an LED light that you light from your local department or hardware store, you could update it at another time. Plenty of PR4 LED options still available.

Bring the light to HomeDepot light for an exchange, or contact the manufacturer for warranty or parts.

If you want to cover the $10+ shipping, I'll walk down to the store, Lowes or Homedepot here, and get you the same light if its still available. I'm there frequently enough.

Kindle

Enlightened
Dewalt has a line of aluminum bodied LED lights that has been out for a couple of years now.

They never generated much interest here as they were overpriced when introduced but it looks like the price has come down a bit.

They have a 3C & 3D version (DPGA-3C & DPGA-3D) both of which appear to be available in the $35-$45 range (they started out >$70).

I haven't had a chance to see one in a low light situation but from brief handling they are definitely more ruggedly built than most of the products in the category and should hold up a bit better under abuse.

g.p.

Enlightened
I would also like to buy a quality d cell light for my house light. a very long running bright light for emergency use. I live where earthquakes are common. why doesn't anyone make something like this?
With the amount of people modding Maglites there has to be some kind of market for such a light.

Just get a Maglite, Dorcy, or Brinkman. Nothing wrong with the Duracell/Energizer ones either. I think Sears has a couple Craftsman ones too.

I doubt that there is a best, but my Maglites are 80's and 90's vintage and used as tools, and not for show and tell like many lights here. I'm surprised you'd had problems with the switch cover..... I've never had a problem with mine but my friends have lost a couple. Once you get a good cover to fit, it'll stay on.

I have upgraded most of my flashlights with LEDs. So, if you don't find an LED light that you light from your local department or hardware store, you could update it at another time. Plenty of PR4 LED options still available.

Bring the light to HomeDepot light for an exchange, or contact the manufacturer for warranty or parts.

If you want to cover the $10+ shipping, I'll walk down to the store, Lowes or Homedepot here, and get you the same light if its still available. I'm there frequently enough.
Thanks for all of the ideas, and thanks for the offer! I may just take you up on that. I never thought of trying to get warranty since the Canadain Home Depot doesn't carry the light. I may go down there and see what they say though.

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
How do you use the light? Do you need lots of throw or lots of flood? How long is a reasonable amount of time between battery changes? Do you carry it with you all night? What is your budget?

You guys are slipping. Nobody asked the OP any questions to clarify what kind of light he's looking for. :poke:

Howdy! Long time lurker, first time poster! :kiss:

I recently dropped my Home Depot Husky 200 Lumen Cree flashlight, and broke the switch. I work as an aircraft maintenance engineer, and need something to replace it since I work at night. My employer provides D cells for our lights, so I would like to find a decent light that takes them (since they are free to me!). I loved my Husky, but it is not available in Canada, and it looks like it may not even be available in the U.S. anymore.:thumbsdow

I have a Malkoff drop in for my Maglite, but the Husky seemed to be even better and brighter. I also don't care for the switch cover on the Maglite. The rubber cover always goes missing, and oil gets inside of the light.

So any ideas of a 200+ lumen D cell light??? I've done several searches, but haven't come up with much. When I do find something it seems to be hard to get in Canada. A website that ships North of the border would be very helpful.

Thanks!

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also what malkoff dropin do you have? You could probably buy a more current malkoff that would be surprisingly brighter.

The lumapower light if you can't find it is called the lumapower mentor and uses 2 or 3 c cells. Battery Junction sells it.

Last edited:

g.p.

Enlightened
How do you use the light? Do you need lots of throw or lots of flood? How long is a reasonable amount of time between battery changes? Do you carry it with you all night? What is your budget?

You guys are slipping. Nobody asked the OP any questions to clarify what kind of light he's looking for. :poke:
I need the light for about an hour a night, non-continuous use. Most of the time I'm 5-20ft away from what I'm looking at, but I also need to look up to the tail of the aircraft - about 50ft. I'm guessing that a flood, as long as it's bright would do the trick. A light that had a super bright setting to look at the tail and high surfaces, and a lower (200 lumens?) setting for everything else would be awesome.

If I could get 5 hours out of a set of batteries I would be pretty happy.

I don't carry the light all night, and bigger (up to the size of a Maglite) is actually better at times. It getts to -45c up here, and it's not uncommon to be wearing several layers of gloves. The little tiny throwers can be hard to hold with the big bulky gloves.

I would like to stay under $100, but after looking at the TK40 and TK45 I'm wondering if I should just buy a good light and be done with it. The TK45 looked like a really blue-ish beam from the pictures that I saw though. I would prefer a white beam.

Also what malkoff dropin do you have? You could probably buy a more current malkoff that would be surprisingly brighter.

The lumapower light if you can't find it is called the lumapower mentor and uses 2 or 3 c cells. Battery Junction sells it.
I've had the 3D Malkoff from about a year, to a year and a half ago. I'll have to look in a couple of days when I go back to see. It's pretty bright, but it throws a yellowish beam which really throws me off. The Huskys beam is bright white, which I like much better for what I do. I just ordered a Fussion 36 head for my mag to compare to the Malkoff. It may be good enough for what I need.

The Polestar A6 looks like a possible canidate. I just need to find out what color of beam it throws.

Thanks guys! Hopefully I'll get a chance to look at all of your suggestions later. I'm trying to potty train :sick2: my youngest boy today, so time is sparse today!