Best Flashlight Brands... 2015!

Lantern32

Enlightened
It keeps stepping down. Most Fenix lights, also have a over-heat protection.

Fenix should, IMO, offer more lights with moonlight modes. About the emitter choice, they target the general market. Most people want more and more lumens and don't look at color rendering.
Lumens sell. David from FourSevens says warm, neutral and Hi-CRI don't sell enough to be profitable. Sure as manufacturer you can have a couple of these lights, but they can't be your whole line-up. Not if you want to keep, the price low.
Ok. I saw a video where someone had their Fenix step down, but they turned it back to turbo and it stayed there. They said that it was your job to monitor the temperature because the light isn't going to step down when you do that.

Last edited:

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix should, IMO, offer more lights with moonlight modes. About the emitter choice, they target the general market. Most people want more and more lumens and don't look at color rendering.

Lumens sell. David from FourSevens says warm, neutral and Hi-CRI don't sell enough to be profitable. Sure as manufacturer you can have a couple of these lights, but they can't be your whole line-up. Not if you want to keep, the price low.

Toyota also sells to the masses, but that does not mean its models are best in class.

I am a newcomer to modern LED flashlights. My interest, as yet, has not transitioned to full-fledged addiction. Currently, I am merely identifying the lights I really need, and replacing the cheap incandescent and 5mm LED models I presently have.

My first purchase was the Nitecore P36. It's a 2x 18650 light that uses the neutral-white MT-G2 emitter. It has 10 constant-brightness output levels that range between 2 and 2000 lumens. Modes are selected by turning a simple dial. From off, you have direct access to high, low, and strobe. The UI is wonderful. This is a new design that has no track record. Its reliability will have to be proven over the next couple of years. So far, however, I have no complaints about mine. I think it is one of the better new lights for 2015.

Besides the Nitecore Tube, the only other modern LED flashlight I own is the Zebralight SC62w. It's a compact 1x 18650, neutral-white model that features an XM-L2 emitter. I won mine in theDoc007's giveaway thread, where my review will be posted in a week or so. Hint: although this is a 2014 model that many speculate will be superseded by the SC63 later this year, the SC62w is a winner. It is currently my EDC light.

I have identified several other needs: nightstand light, glove box flashlight, headlamp, camping lantern, backup EDC light, etc. I tell this story only to emphasize that I am a serious buyer who has been doing a lot of research in the past month or two. I am not a looker. I am a buyer.

I am also an avid amateur photographer who is trained to see light and its tint. Early in my flashlight study, I determined that I could get as many lumens as I wanted in a neutral-tint flashlight. Except perhaps for specialty throwers, you can buy quality NW lights at mid-level prices for any lumen need up to 3000 lumens or more. IMO, the arguments that NW must be sacrificed for output are specious.

As a car camper and hiker, I also determined that I wanted moonlight levels in most of the lights I buy. For camping and power outages, it is also useful to have tail standing.

So that brings us back to Fenix. Knowing the reputation it has for quality, I was surprised to discover that many—nay, most—of its models fall down on these key features. I was so surprised, in fact, that I started a thread to discuss it. At the end, my conclusion was exactly the same as yours. Fenix is a mass-market supplier that maximizes its profits by supplying the needs of a non-flashaholic market.

It is, if you will, the Toyota of flashlight makers.

That said, there are more than a few models from Fenix that I like. Among them are the camping lanterns it has released this year, which I think deserve mention on a list of great 2015 flashlights. The PD40, a 1x 26650 light with a neutral white MT-G2, and which can easily tail stand, may be another. I say "may," only because I do not know much about it. It looks very good on paper.

The TK35UE, a 2x 18650 MT-G2 flashlight, fares less well. Compared to the similar Nitecore P36, the four output levels of the TK35UE are a bit constraining. In addition, it won't tail stand, and its lowest mode is 25 lumens.

As always, just my two cents.

Last edited:

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
My main problem with Fenix is that they have something against sub-lumen (moonlight, or "firefly") modes. Since I use moonlight about half the time I have a typical flashlight on, this pretty much kills the Fenix brand for me. My other problem with Fenix is their emitter choices, in general they tend toward cool whites and don't offer warm or neutral in most of their models.
That is what I meant by "Sunwayman is going the way of Fenix" in my post.

My Sunwayman D40A (nw) I bought this year has a moonlight mode. It's a fairly bright moonlight mode, though, probably about 1 lumen. Still, it's good for a 4xAA light. Yeah, I wouldn't have bought it if it didn't have moonlight or neutral white. I can recall the last light I bought without a moonlight mode. Maybe a crappy Maglite :laughing:

I don't use moonlight much on some of my lights, but I require it be there just in case. Nothing more annoying than reaching for a light in the middle of the night, and realizing the lowest it has is about 30 lumens.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im anti-brand. Or at least try to be as objective as I can. Some brands transend that as near everyithing they put out is excellent.

That said:

Malkoff, HDS, McGizmo, in my experience, are head and shoulders above anything else.

Truly a different league of lights.

19 posts before malkoff was finally mentioned...
best brands in my opinion are Malkoff, McGizmo, Surefire, Streamlight. those are also the only non-budget brands i can recommend to people i know.

Amelia

Enlightened
My Sunwayman D40A (nw) I bought this year has a moonlight mode. It's a fairly bright moonlight mode, though, probably about 1 lumen. Still, it's good for a 4xAA light. Yeah, I wouldn't have bought it if it didn't have moonlight or neutral white. I can recall the last light I bought without a moonlight mode. Maybe a crappy Maglite :laughing:

I don't use moonlight much on some of my lights, but I require it be there just in case. Nothing more annoying than reaching for a light in the middle of the night, and realizing the lowest it has is about 30 lumens.

Yes, that's also the last Sunwayman light I bought... also in Neutral White.
I own and use a few lights without moonlight mode, but they're all "mega throwers" where a moonlight mode would be kind of silly to include anyway. All of my lights purchased for EDC or headlamp use, though, MUST have a sub-lumen mode... as I mentioned already, this is the mode I use probably half the time these lights are turned on. When it's dark, I don't want to blind myself! :)

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't mean to be rude, but what makes you think nitecore makes bad lights? I bought a tm26 and it is an insane amount of light. The anodizing is perfect in all the heat fins, and there is no dust on the inside of the reflector. All the LEDs are centered, and it's super solid. If I were to be mad at nitecore about anything, it would be the heat problem with the TM26. They heat fins are not large enough to dissipate the heat, so it needs to step down.

He didn't say he thinks they make bad lights...he clearly stated he has no experience with Nitecore lights. He has just read negative comments, and isn't willing to take the chance. I think that is too bad...while some of Nitecore's lights are lousy, others are excellent. I have a TM26, TM36vn, TM06vn, a TM16 on the way, and a few lesser Nitecore lights, and they have been very good for me. But it is entirely understandable...I am the same way with certain brands...I might forgive one issue, but multiple issues with the same brand, and I stop looking.

First person that has said Fenix and Surefire makes bad lights! What drives your opinion? Surefire makes flashlights for the military, so I thought they were good...? Everyone has said Fenix does their own manufacturing, and they are one of the best Chinese manufacturedights.

I don't think Fenix is better quality overall. They aren't bad, but they aren't head and shoulders above other Chinese brands, in my experience. The TK series is great, and again there are some other random models I like (my latest is the LD50, and I love it). But they are missing important features, and personally I have not found them to be any more reliable than other brands in the same price range (or even a bit less). Surefire certainly makes some tough lights, but they are greatly overpriced for the features they give you. Many of us are also unhappy with Surefire's aggressive campaign to claim patents for general features. Look up Surefire/FourSevens patent fight. Surefire also uses old technology in many of their lights...even as other brands were moving to XM-L2 (and improving tint, too) Surefire was still using XM-L with horrid green tint. I'm not a fan.

I don't think too many people are disappointed with Fenix. They are keeping up with the pack, and this 2015 TK75 is a good example! I don't know the cd of the new light, but 4000 lumens is really good! They have the 2 buttons to change modes too! I know that eagletac is pretty fancy with their user interface, but when you are in an emergency- you are not going to need those fancy functions! However, us flashaholics love turning lights on and off haha!

Disappointed might be a bit strong, but a lot of us think they could do better with minimal effort. KeepingItLight linked to an interesting thread...you should check it out if you want more detailed discussion.

That's a really good feature. If you are in an emergency, it is a good idea to be able to run the light as long as you want in turbo. Does it keep stepping down, or does it only step down once? My TM26 is too smart, and it steps down at a certain temperature without an override.

The TK75 has either a fifteen or twenty minute stepdown, depending on your exact model. I wouldn't be surprised if the new version has a shorter time limit...thirty percent increase in brightness means a lot more heat to be dissipated. The TM26 can be switched back to turbo after stepdown as well. And the stepdown only works on turbo...if you run it on any other mode, it will never step down, regardless of temperature.

This thread is interesting, but as usual, everyone is chiming in with different answers. I don't think you'll find a consensus. It is especially difficult because the question is vague. Most reliable, best feature set, best value, etc.? All of those criteria have different answers...there isn't one brand that does it all, to my knowledge.

HEDP

Enlightened
I'm not really "brand loyal" - if a light has what I want, I don't particularly care that much about who makes it.
Having said that, for this year:

EagleTac is really rocking! Great new lights and really loving the HI emitters!
Zebralight continues to make GREAT headlamps and high-CRI handhelds with a great UI.
If Nitecore ever releases the EC4S, they will be my HEROES! :) :) :)

Sunwayman continues to go the way of Fenix - no moonlight modes, poor design decisions with emitters and clips... they used to be my favorite brand, but the way they're going I doubt I'll be buying any more Sunwayman any time in the future. :(

Armytek has forever lost my business with the removal of their programmable UI. BAD decision, you marketing meatheads! :(

Other than that, it's the usual. Brands rise and fall, but somehow we all end up with a huge variety of wonderful lights to choose from! Capitalism is pretty awesome! :)

What's the hold up?

Ladd

Enlightened
Jet beam use to catch my attention, but they seem to be made in a generic factory in China. Ace beam and jet beam were the same, and I could never figure out who was manufacturing the lights.

Good luck trying to sort out who manufactures a particular Chinese flashlight. It is a complicated and continually changing picture.

.....just read/heed the reviews and enjoy today's huge variety of really excellent inexpensive flashlights. Having options is good!

Last edited:

Hammerdown

Newly Enlightened
For me I think Thrunite has been the best bang for my buck. I also have a Fenix headlamp that I use about 10 hours a week. Has been reliable.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aw sweet, a brand war!

It's been a year of Energizers, mag-lites, and Costco value pack LED's etc. for me. Greatest user satisfaction:fussiness ratio ever. And the longest I've ever gone without changing up EDC's.

Lantern32

Enlightened
Okay let's narrow things down a little bit-

1) Best flashlight brands regarding user interface/features
2) Best flashlight brand for build quality/machining
3) Best flashlight brand for emitter quality/high tech.

You can state a specific flashlight model for any of the categories too!

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay let's narrow things down a little bit-

1) Best flashlight brands regarding user interface/features
2) Best flashlight brand for build quality/machining
3) Best flashlight brand for emitter quality/high tech.

1) Overall (in my opinion), Zebralight has the best interface of any brand. Many companies have a different interface on every model, but ZL is consistent...if you know how to use one of their lights, you basically know how to use them all.

The Nitecore SRT7 infinitely variable ring interface is excellent, as a standalone light, but Nitecore as a whole isn't any better than average.

2) Not counting customs, I give it to Elzetta. Unbelievably tough...outlast Surefire easily. And the nice thing is, you can get some of the older models for a reasonable price.

3) Emitter quality is another subjective item. That will mean different things to different people. As for high-tech, I think Nitecore and Zebralight are definitely in the running. Advanced thermal regulation on many models, rather than annoying timed stepdowns. The wave of the future, I hope.

Lantern32

Enlightened
1) Overall (in my opinion), Zebralight has the best interface of any brand. Many companies have a different interface on every model, but ZL is consistent...if you know how to use one of their lights, you basically know how to use them all.

The Nitecore SRT7 infinitely variable ring interface is excellent, as a standalone light, but Nitecore as a whole isn't any better than average.

2) Not counting customs, I give it to Elzetta. Unbelievably tough...outlast Surefire easily. And the nice thing is, you can get some of the older models for a reasonable price.

3) Emitter quality is another subjective item. That will mean different things to different people. As for high-tech, I think Nitecore and Zebralight are definitely in the running. Advanced thermal regulation on many models, rather than annoying timed stepdowns. The wave of the future, I hope.
Thank you for that! I certainly like nitecore thermal regulation on my tm26, but the nitecore engineers were crazy. Nobody puts 4 cree XML-U3 emitters running 4000 lumens with such small heat fins. The light heats up way too fast because of the small fins.

jetjet28

Newly Enlightened
I am definitely a Surfire fan. I know they are expensive, but I feel they are worth it.
I just bought a Nitecore and do like this one so far.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yeah, whenever I get a new light, it becomes my favourite for awhile. But, I always end up returning to Zebralight. While I don't find the UI perfect, it's pretty close, and nothing else comes close to beating it yet.

Latest posts