Best flashlight under $100 bucks! Convoy L6 3800 lumen. A MUST HAVE!

Bdm82

Flashlight Enthusiast
VOB or anyone, I suppose... was the reviewed sample the 6500K or 5000K? 3400ish tested lumens... I'm curious if we'd see it as a lower number for the 5000K.

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 5000k 3A is an N2 bin so the lumens will be lower. Here is the thing though, unless you have the two side by side you won't notice any difference since you will have nothing to compare them to if they are not side by side. In any case you will most likely notice the tint difference more than the very small decrease in lumens.

Last edited:

Bdm82

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 5000k 5A is an N2 bin so the lumens will be lower. Here is the thing though, unless you have the two side by side you won't notice any difference since you will have nothing to compare them to if they are not side by side. In any case you will most likely notice the tint difference more than the very small decrease in lumens.

Thanks. I was looking at the light on GearBest and they listed N4 for both. Checking out ASFlashlights, I see the 5k listed as N2. N2 makes more sense and is livable.

SuPpAvIlLiN

Enlightened
Loving this light. But I don't understand this flikkering. It flikkers on Hi mode for the first 5 mins when it seems my batteries are full I'm gussing. The weird thing is that it stops and does not come back for the rest of the run time. Than I charge the batteries, I didn't put them back in for around 5 hours later, but when I did it flikkers again only in hi mode for the first 5 minutes again and than stopped for the rest of the run. Anybody have a clue why this would happen? I hope it's not defective.

Flight_Deck

Enlightened
Wow, 111 posts (now 112), in less that month on this thread. Certainly off topic, but impressive none the less! Obviously hit a resonant nerve with this community. :)

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
Loving this light. But I don't understand this flikkering. It flikkers on Hi mode for the first 5 mins when it seems my batteries are full I'm gussing. The weird thing is that it stops and does not come back for the rest of the run time. Than I charge the batteries, I didn't put them back in for around 5 hours later, but when I did it flikkers again only in hi mode for the first 5 minutes again and than stopped for the rest of the run. Anybody have a clue why this would happen? I hope it's not defective.

This is the first incident I have heard of. I don't know what would cause that, but I'll tell you what I always do when I encounter any issue with a flashlight.

1. I check all the movable contacts. In this case the ring that holds in the driver, and the tail switch. Just make sure they are tight.

2. Try another set of batteries. Preferably unprotected cells. There is always a chance especially when working with protected cells there is a defect here. If you dont have more 26mm cells even a pair of IMR 18650s rolled up in a newspaper should do.

If these 2 simple things do not fix it I would wager that its a problem with the driver board. I'm actually not sure if Convoy has a warranty or not, I've never seen a statement. I will ask. Either way if it is a problem with the driver I can fix it for you. Simon made the driver boards available for purchase recently so I ordered a pair for just such an emergency along with my next batch of lights. They will not be here for a little while yet though. He said that manufacturing time on the batch I just paid for would be like 20 days.

Bdm82

Flashlight Enthusiast
If these 2 simple things do not fix it I would wager that its a problem with the driver board. I'm actually not sure if Convoy has a warranty or not, I've never seen a statement. I will ask. Either way if it is a problem with the driver I can fix it for you. Simon made the driver boards available for purchase recently so I ordered a pair for just such an emergency along with my next batch of lights. They will not be here for a little while yet though. He said that manufacturing time on the batch I just paid for would be like 20 days.

I saw this response and I thought "What great service... I'm going to pull the trigger!". Sign in to the website, check my cart, and see the price up and it now on backorder. AHHHHHHHHHHHH!

SuPpAvIlLiN

Enlightened
This is the first incident I have heard of. I don't know what would cause that, but I'll tell you what I always do when I encounter any issue with a flashlight.

1. I check all the movable contacts. In this case the ring that holds in the driver, and the tail switch. Just make sure they are tight.

2. Try another set of batteries. Preferably unprotected cells. There is always a chance especially when working with protected cells there is a defect here. If you dont have more 26mm cells even a pair of IMR 18650s rolled up in a newspaper should do.

ok, thanks Matt, seems everything is tight. Like I said, after the light is on for about 5 minutes the flikkering stops and does not return for the rest of the battery life. So I can live with the flikkering only in the one mode for only 5 mins. As long as it doesn't get any worse it really doesn't bother me too much. Was just curious if anyone else had it happen...I guess not.

EDIT: Just wanted to mention that Matt was very accommodating and is taking care of me with the battery issue. Great service from Matt and the Adventure Sports site.

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
I experimented with the L6 tonight by putting protected Keeeppower 5200mah cells in it and it would just flicker on high mode non stop. Switched back to my much shorter King Kongs and it was fine. Dented in a positive terminal on one of the Keeppowers I had to use that much force to screw the tail cap all the way on. Still works though.

SuPpAvIlLiN

Enlightened
I experimented with the L6 tonight by putting protected Keeeppower 5200mah cells in it and it would just flicker on high mode non stop. Switched back to my much shorter King Kongs and it was fine. Dented in a positive terminal on one of the Keeppowers I had to use that much force to screw the tail cap all the way on. Still works though.
Thanks for experimenting and posting. I kinda figured it was the batteries. I don't know much about different batteries and all so I just bought the ones that were sudjested along with the L6 on the site. I guess I shouldn't use these Keeppowers in case it's damaging the light. I'll PM Matt and see if anything can be done. Site says no returns on batteries but...

Last edited:

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
These batteries have worked with no problem:

Protected: Fenix 4800mAh and Soshine 5500mAh

Non-Protected Keeppower IMR 5200mAh and Shockli 4200mAh. (these two have positive terminals that make connection in series)

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will add the King Kong based protected 4000mah high amp EVVA cells to the list. Found it weird after I jammed those two protected Keeppowers in the light high mode would just flicker at a steady ish pace non stop.

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have these and there is no flicking.

LiocTb5.jpg

Also have these unprotected and no flicker
xMs93Nr.jpg

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
ohhh this made me get out the calipers! I got 71.0mm on both my protected 5200mah Keeppowers I got from Matt. The pair of King Kong based protected high amp 4000mah EVVA cells in my L6 came out at 68.5mm and to wrap up my 26650 lights I got 68.5mm off the new IMR 5200mah Keeppower in my R40 and 67.5mm off the Olight proprietary 4000mah cell it replaced.

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could very well be an issue with cells that are too long. I bought my Keeppowers in a group buy on banggood which were specifically the shorter 69.5mm cells.