Best flashlight under $100 bucks! Convoy L6 3800 lumen. A MUST HAVE!

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
ASF shows the Keeppower 5200 mAh batteries as 71 mm long. In another thread reviewing the Convoy L6 here: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?419516-Review-Convoy-L6-(XHP-70-2x26650) he categorically states that you must use 70 mm batteries. So, where's the best place to buy 26650 protected 5200 mAh batteries 70 mm in length or less.

I do not know of any US sources of these cells. You have two options, order the correct cells on Banggood or order lower capacity 4500 mAh cells and get them faster.

Also, at the ASF site, there is an option for either N4 1A 6500K or N2 3A 5000k. Which do I want and why? I want as bright as possible.

I would go with the 5000k. Why? A neutral tint is a more pleasing tint. Colors will look better and there won't be as much eye strain from the blue 6500k light scattering everywhere. Although the N4 6500k is a higher bin so it will output 10% more lumens which is a negligible amount and you would likely prefer it to be imperceptibly darker but a much more pleasing beam

Lastly, Options/Ultralux Package: Boost Driver ($35) and/or De-Dome Emitter ($35), $65 for both. Yes/No/Why?

Boost driver=more lumens. Dedome emitter=decrease spill and increase throw this is a personal preference. I would go with a domed emitter as it is better general purpose beam

Thanks for letting me ask newbie questions.

Ask away :)

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wrote in another thread I'm using EVVA protected batteries that use Japanese 5200mAh cells and I got them from the popular US dealer. They work perfectly in mine. I'd forget the KeepPower for now and just use these.

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
ASF shows the Keeppower 5200 mAh batteries as 71 mm long. In another thread reviewing the Convoy L6 here: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?419516-Review-Convoy-L6-(XHP-70-2x26650) he categorically states that you must use 70 mm batteries. So, where's the best place to buy 26650 protected 5200 mAh batteries 70 mm in length or less.

Also, at the ASF site, there is an option for either N4 1A 6500K or N2 3A 5000k. Which do I want and why? I want as bright as possible.

Lastly, Options/Ultralux Package: Boost Driver ($35) and/or De-Dome Emitter ($35), $65 for both. Yes/No/Why?

Thanks for letting me ask newbie questions.

Hi FTG-05,

The cells I have are the 71mm. I think the main reason people suggest trying to find short cells is because the 71mm are a snug fit. Here is what they're like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ff6XG3zdaMc

The LED options:
6500k= Cool white light tint
5000k= Neutral white light tint
N4 and N2 are output bins. N4 is the higher one of the two.

The Ultralux options:
Driver boost= Higher current to the LED which means more output.
De-dome LED= Tighter beam for longer range.

Welcome to CPF :party:

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vob, I do like you, your videos, and I have purchased from you before.

With due respect, not only is this cell not recommended by the manufacturer there have been reports of it cause damage and undue stress on the internals of some lights here. To suggest using them is a poor business decision.

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vob, I do like you, your videos, and I have purchased from you before.

With due respect, not only is this cell not recommended by the manufacturer there have been reports of it cause damage and undue stress on the internals of some lights here. To suggest using them is a poor business decision.

Hi staticx. Thanks for joining us. No offense taken at all. Feedback is exactly what this kind of thread is for. Can you give me some more info on the reports of damage (links etc)? I've not been following other threads etc on this light the way I probly should. I have seen that Convoy recommends using a shorter cell. I do take these things into consideration, especially with li-ion batteries/charging safety issues. I guess after having used the protected cells in several lights I had decided that this recommendation fit more appropriately with Crees recommendation of 3000ma limit on XML2s.

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
I firmly believe for the majority of people the longer ones will be fine. But even in this thread is someone having trouble with longer cells. Keep up the good work though!

www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?420773-Best-flashlight-under-100-bucks!-Convoy-L6-3800-lumen-A-MUST-HAVE!&p=4941328&viewfull=1#post4941328

I do not know of any USA suppliers of these cells so perhaps this could be a good opportunity to stock up as I know there are tons of L6 owners looking for the proper cell.

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do not know of any USA suppliers of these cells so perhaps this could be a good opportunity to stock up as I know there are tons of L6 owners looking for the proper cell.

Thank you for the feedback. Your certainly right about the market for those cells. I am working on it, but it looks like it will still be another 2-3 weeks before I am able to lay hold of a substantial amount of them.

FTG-05

Newly Enlightened
WOW!!! Talk about fast shipping! I mean Star Trek Transporter-type shipping!

Ordered the L6 and the Nitecore D2 a day or two ago and Boom! Both arrived today! Very impressed!

Of course, no 26650 batteries, so can't use the light yet. :( Ordered a pair from Banggood but I have no idea how long they'll take to get here.

Thanks,

dazzleaj

Newly Enlightened
WOW!!! Talk about fast shipping! I mean Star Trek Transporter-type shipping!

Ordered the L6 and the Nitecore D2 a day or two ago and Boom! Both arrived today! Very impressed!

Of course, no 26650 batteries, so can't use the light yet. :( Ordered a pair from Banggood but I have no idea how long they'll take to get here.

Thanks,

I got a pair from of all places a RadioShack store on the clearance rack. They are 69.8mm long protected 3500mAh from DEWORLD.com. I went to the DEWOLD site and they offer a 2 pack for $15. I have never heard of them but the cells work in the L6. I have the Keep Power ones I ordered with the light but use the DE cells for daily use. They seem to give good life but no idea as to the real capacity. Good fast and cheep from the Radio Shack store. Not listed at radio Shack online though.

FTG-05

Newly Enlightened
There's a RS right next to our local grocery store, I'll have to check it out.

Thanks,

FTG-05

Newly Enlightened
Since ordering and recieving my L6, I've got a hold of some 26650 batteries and had a chance to use the L6 out on my +35 acre farm.

All I can say is: WOW!

Ordering one Convoy L6 was a big mistake.

Big. Mistake.

Shoulda ordered two!!! Dang, now I gotta go and do it again!

Are the SMO reflectors orderable yet?

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast

jonnyfgroove

Enlightened
giphy.gif

Thanks VOB!

jonnyfgroove

Enlightened
I received my SMO reflector, thanks VOB!!

Unfortunately, I didn't realize that it isn't compatible with the stock, dome on XHP70 and I have no desire or skill to swap or de dome the emitter.

I would like to pass it on to someone who has modding skills and will provide the reflector with a loving home. You have to post back and show us your work though!

I'll ship the SMO L6 reflector to the first person that replies to this post, free of charge. CONUS only please.

Vol

Newly Enlightened
For anyone looking for the keeppower 5200 protected that are 69.5mm illumn.com now has them in stock $9 a piece but shipping is a little high.

DMS1970

Enlightened
Can anyone tell me if there is a red lens that works with this light? I have been looking at predator lights, and would like to make one out of this light. I'm not sure if the real ones use a curved lens? I think some red film on an L6 might just get very hot. Any tips?

thanks

grass disaster

Newly Enlightened
want to order this light.

i'm confused what battery's i need or cant use.

can someone help a green horn out? need a charger too i suppose.

Thanks!!!!

NICSAK

Enlightened
want to order this light.

i'm confused what battery's i need or cant use.

can someone help a green horn out? need a charger too i suppose.

Thanks!!!!

You want the keeppower 26650 5200mah protected cells. They are harder to find in the short version (69.5mm) but illumn.com just got a shipment in and they are on sale for 9$ right now. So if you want this light I would go order the batteries right now.

grass disaster

Newly Enlightened
You want the keeppower 26650 5200mah protected cells. They are harder to find in the short version (69.5mm) but illumn.com just got a shipment in and they are on sale for 9$ right now. So if you want this light I would go order the batteries right now.

ok! what do i do as far as a charger?
amazon?