Best law enforcement flashlight under $200?

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a kydex holster for the Malkoff and a custom leather holster for the HDS. I had a leather holster made for the Malkoff but fell back to the kudex for better retention.

https://www.kytexgear.com/products-page/duty-series/duty-series-surefire-6pg2g2x/

Nice. I can see how that would be an ideal set up for a duty light. The shrouded tail cap should protect the switch well enough to prevent unintentional activation while holstered. Run an unprotected 18650 for extreme reliability and keep a couple of others nearby for mid-shift battery swaps. Golden.

mk2rocco

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice. I can see how that would be an ideal set up for a duty light. The shrouded tail cap should protect the switch well enough to prevent unintentional activation while holstered. Run an unprotected 18650 for extreme reliability and keep a couple of others nearby for mid-shift battery swaps. Golden.
Exactly! And I really only charge it every few weeks but I do keep a spare 18650 on hand that gets rotated in when I charge it. My HDS runs primaries for drop dead reliability and easy maintenance, it needs a new cell every few months.

XR6Toggie

Newly Enlightened
The Hound Dog is a fantastic duty light. I keep one in my bag. My 800 lumen Streamlight Stinger wins out for belt carry because I offen need to direct traffic and it has an easily attached traffic wand.

I have an Elzetta Charlie as my backup or if I need a smaller light in my hand.

Obviously OP has his requirements but I certainly agree with sticking with the manufacturers mentioned by mk2rocco for a duty light. I don't have experience with HDS but I know Streamlight, SureFire, Elzetta and Malkoff all make excellent duty lights. I have heard good things about Pelican flashlights as well.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ive always considered in light charging as just another source of failure. Something that means a lot in a Duty Light. Xtar make a tiny charger (other manufacturers do also) MC! which doesn't look much larger than the cell it charges. If you got this plus a wall wart, as it is a USB charger, you could leave one cell charging while you use the other.
Then you could get a quality light like a Malkoff or Elzetta. and maybe pop an HDS in your pocket, just in case.
P

kalel332

Newly Enlightened
You could check Klarus Xt11gt
Looking for the best law enforcement flashlight under $200. Requirements are runs on rechargeable 18650 batteries, can be charged within the light with a USB, minimum 1,000 lumens, has strobe feature, durable, reliable, and tough.

What light matches that description?

Zak

Enlightened
After reviewing the XT2CR and XT12S, I can't recommend the XT series. I got visible PWM/ripple on some modes with both lights, and the XT12S was not waterproof due to a faulty o-ring in the head (the part of the head that's not meant to be disassembled by the user). Their thermal regulation is also kind of inconsistent/unpredictable, and the included battery is not up to the task, resulting in premature stepdowns.

kalel332

Newly Enlightened
I EDC an xt11s and own xt12gt they have worked just fine. I did had some issues with the xt12gt but they raplaced my light. I do have to say that Klarus customer service is not the best.
After reviewing the XT2CR and XT12S, I can't recommend the XT series. I got visible PWM/ripple on some modes with both lights, and the XT12S was not waterproof due to a faulty o-ring in the head (the part of the head that's not meant to be disassembled by the user). Their thermal regulation is also kind of inconsistent/unpredictable, and the included battery is not up to the task, resulting in premature stepdowns.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
External charging is more safe and reliable. And a charger is small as a battery itself (18650): Nitecore F1, for example.

I am a LEO myself (not on the ground). And I have started with the lights featuring all those bells and whistles. Nothing puts my life at risk (unless I do something unbelievably stupid), but in the end I carry Elzetta Bravo, Surefire Fury and Backup now :)

Last edited:

lebox97

Enlightened
sorry, EagTac S200C2 and G25C2 are older, non-rechargeable lights.

the EagTac S25L-R and EagTac T25L-R, are both pretty popular rechargeable lights meeting his needs.
(single 18650, 2,000 lumen, strobe, internal charger powered via USB-C port, etc)

Caution: at 2000 lumens, strobe is generally not needed, and can be counter productive.

Cheers

Dont forgot eagtac s200c2 and g25c2. They are build to install on the gun mount.. .....

colight

Enlightened

HEDP

Enlightened
I was a cop for 10 years. I was in a life and death struggle, at night, and my incandescent Stinger hit the ground, and died. It was my only flashlight. I felt pretty helpless when my one and only light died at a time when I REALLY needed it. I never ever went back on patrol with only one light on my belt. My minimum was two lights on my belt for day shift, and three for night shift.

Your requirements are all wrong and make no sense. Many (most) lights that meets those requirements are probably low durability, low quality, general purpose lights, suitable for your grand mother to use to check the chickens at night. NOT suitable for a police officer that needs a working light as if their life depends on it (it does)

Does the dept provide a flashlight? Which one?

Well, I'm not gonna be one to tell someone how they should do their job, as an LEO you should know we all have our own preferences and ways in handling things. I've been an LEO for 10 years and know what my requirements are. Cops work in different areas, I work in a densely populated area with a lot of ambient lighting at all times. You may work out in the country. Different officers have different needs.

I'm looking for a durable, reliable, powerful light that has a strobe feature and on-board charging. There should be some lights that meet those specs. I've carried a Luamapower Hunter for 10 years and it's worked well for me but is starting to have issues now. I'm looking for a replacement.

My dept. does not issue lights.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I'm not gonna be one to tell someone how they should do their job, as an LEO you should know we all have our own preferences and ways in handling things. I've been an LEO for 10 years and know what my requirements are. Cops work in different areas, I work in a densely populated area with a lot of ambient lighting at all times. You may work out in the country. Different officers have different needs.

I'm looking for a durable, reliable, powerful light that has a strobe feature and on-board charging. There should be some lights that meet those specs. I've carried a Luamapower Hunter for 10 years and it's worked well for me but is starting to have issues now. I'm looking for a replacement.

My dept. does not issue lights.

Exactly.

Have you taken a look at the Olight M2R? The charging cable attaches via a magnetic disk to the tail switch. I have seen others that have tested it and report that you cannot short the battery out through the metal tail switch. Plus it's magnetic as well.

Last edited:

HEDP

Enlightened
Exactly.

Have you taken a look at the Olight M2R? The charging cable attaches via a magnetic disk to the tail switch. I have seen others that have tested it and report that you cannot short the battery out through the metal tail switch. Plus it's magnetic as well.

Thanks!

I see that this light has 1,500 lumens while the Fenix has 1,000. Will there be an actual noticeable difference?

HEDP

Enlightened
I do not own this light. Read some reviews on it before purchasing. Make sure it meets your needs. Charging with battery in the light narrows down choices significantly. Olight is one of the few manufacturers that have ways to charge within the light and provide the lumens you desire.

Video overview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ignu2eQNzE

Vendor:

https://www.batteryjunction.com/olight-m2r-tactical-led-flashlight.html

Also, go to the batteryjunction website. Put in your criteria and it will pull up 6 different Klarus Flashlights for you to consider. Notably the Klarus XT12GT and XT12S.

I like these. What's the difference in the XT12GT and XT12S?

HEDP

Enlightened
Parametrek's database lists 87 1x18650 lights that have onboard charging and make at least 1000 lumens. It's a fairly common feature today.

While I reject the idea that there's a single "best" for a fairly broad category like "cop light", the first light I'd look at in OP's position is the Acebeam L30, preferably the 5000K neutral white version. Here's my review of the cool white version.

Nice. So, when you order this from Amazon it doesn't come with an 18650 battery?

Zak

Enlightened
The Acebeam L30 comes with a 20700 battery. It can also use 18650s, though they must be high-drain (15A+), and need to be fairly long. Unprotected flat-top 18650s will require a spacer. Most protected cells will trip, but Acebeam and Keeppower both sell a protected Sony VTC6 that will work. An unprotected flat-top 20700 will work; Acebeam's included cell is a protected Sanyo NCR20700B, and the unprotected version works great in the L30.

SG1

Newly Enlightened
The Acebeam L30 comes with a 20700 battery. It can also use 18650s, though they must be high-drain (15A+), and need to be fairly long. Unprotected flat-top 18650s will require a spacer. Most protected cells will trip, but Acebeam and Keeppower both sell a protected Sony VTC6 that will work. An unprotected flat-top 20700 will work; Acebeam's included cell is a protected Sanyo NCR20700B, and the unprotected version works great in the L30.

I dropped my L16 at waist height on concrete. Needless to say, it's permanently on firefly mode and renders the light totally useless in all modes now. Worked great for all of 1 month. Acebeam tough? Send back to China? Yep... NO.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
You may wait for Surefire Fury DF (not tactical) to appear. DFT is available from several dealers now, but it is limited to 1500 lm only.

Latest posts