Best rechargeable d cell batteries?

mccririck

Enlightened
I believe the Eneloops are Japan market only, at least I don't know where to get them.

the downside to the adapters is that they're expensive (the only place I know to get the 3 cell ones is Battery Junction, for $15 apiece) and 3x Eneloops is less capacity (6000 mAh) than a Tenergy Centura D-cell (8000 mAh and $17/2-pack at Amazon).

ebay: search for "Parallel Battery Adapter Holder 1.5V Output Case Box Convert 3 AA to 1 D Size" - $5.99

qpoo.jpg

vx5z.jpg

1eqy.jpg

bwxf.jpg

ufl0.jpg

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
But even if these adaptors are good quality-wise, at $5.99 each for these adaptors, the economics are not very good compared to Tenergy D cells. After paying $5.99 for these adaptors, you have to buy the batteries on top of it. Assuming $12 full price for four Eneloops/Duraloops, you're putting another nine dollars worth of batteries in each adaptor. That's $15 to replace ONE Tenergy D cell. And at $18.49, TWO Tenergy D cells don't cost alot more. Unless you are getting these adaptors because you want the option of running on AA batteries in emergency situations (in addition to running D cells), I just can't see how paying more money to get less capacity by running AA batteries in these adaptors is a better idea than getting real D cells like Tenergy. Even if you already have lots of AA batteries, the cost of these adaptors ($12 for two) is starting to get a little close to the cost of two Tenergy D cells ($18.49 for two).

Last edited:

mccririck

Enlightened
True, they are a bit more expensive than I'd like. i have just bought one so far. I have asked Fasttech if they can stock them so maybe they will be available a little cheaper soon..

They do give you added flexibility, though.

Dark Slayer

Newly Enlightened
For my TK70 I went with tenergys, mostly from what I have read here. And I would say the are the way to go. I recently picked up four centuras from ebay for 25.90. Liked them so well I got another four. A month or so ago I also bought four premiums for 35.00. And almost a year ago I snagged four of the blue ones for 20.00.

Tested with the TK70 on turbo.
Tenergy Premium 1hr 15min
Tenergy Centura 1hr 14min
Tenergy Blue 55 min

Jives up with the my tests on the c9000
I have not done any tests for self discharge though but I would say go with the centuras if your going to go with D cells.
Again, this is just what I expected from reading others opinions on here. I can't imagine the frustration and wasted money had I not found this forum. Many thanks too all those that take the time the post on here.

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
ebay: search for "Parallel Battery Adapter Holder 1.5V Output Case Box Convert 3 AA to 1 D Size" - $5.99

Yeah, I see those now, and thanks for the pics. They look OK in the pics, does the metal appear sturdy enough to carry a decent amount of current? Once I saw the auction, I immediately thought of picking a few up, and since, I've thought of a few more places I could use them.

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
But even if these adaptors are good quality-wise, at $5.99 each for these adaptors, the economics are not very good compared to Tenergy D cells. After paying $5.99 for these adaptors, you have to buy the batteries on top of it. Assuming $12 full price for four Eneloops/Duraloops, you're putting another nine dollars worth of batteries in each adaptor. That's $15 to replace ONE Tenergy D cell. And at $18.49, TWO Tenergy D cells don't cost alot more. Unless you are getting these adaptors because you want the option of running on AA batteries in emergency situations (in addition to running D cells), I just can't see how paying more money to get less capacity by running AA batteries in these adaptors is a better idea than getting real D cells like Tenergy. Even if you already have lots of AA batteries, the cost of these adaptors ($12 for two) is starting to get a little close to the cost of two Tenergy D cells ($18.49 for two).

That's exactly it, I like options in emergencies. They look awful handy to have around, but at $15 apiece it was totally not worth it. If these $6 ones are OK, that's a little more palatable.

bmel17

Newly Enlightened

I have the AA eneloops already, so it is actually more economical for the $6 adapters to me. Don't forget to add in the price of a D worthy charger as well. My i4 says it will do up to C. I figure if I don't like them they are going to be good for emergencies too.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Availability and pricing of true high-capacity NiMH C/D cells has never been very good - to say nothing of the LSD versions. The same can be said of decent chargers for C/D cells (ie I have a middling AAA/AA/C/D charger that probably can't do 10AH cells in a single 16+ hour sitting). Heavy users of C/D cells would probably be better off investing true C/D cells and a proper charger due to superior performance. The rest of us with stacks of AA cells and occasional need for C/D cells could benefit from some adaptors - less capacity, but expands the capabilities of what we already have for less.

EDIT : and I see that someone else made the same points I did while I got distracted with other things

Last edited:

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's exactly it, I like options in emergencies. They look awful handy to have around, but at $15 apiece it was totally not worth it. If these $6 ones are OK, that's a little more palatable.

The adaptors were never (as far as I know) $15. The $15 figure I came up with was for an adaptor loaded with batteries. Tenergy D batteries cost quite a bit less and are MUCH easier to charge (since you don't have to charge nine AA batteries for, say, a 3D Mag).

Speaking of chargers, I use the Maha 808. And it's been GREAT for me. Unfortunately, it doesn't have the analyzer functions of the 9000. But it seems to be a really good charger in terms of accuracy (ie not terminating either early or late). And not only does it have the ability to charge Cs and Ds. But it can charge 8 batteries of any size from AAA to D. I've also heard good things about the Accumanager 20. But I went with the Maha because of its reputation and ability to charge 8 batteries at a time.

Last edited:

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
The adaptors were never (as far as I know) $15. The $15 figure I came up with was for an adaptor loaded with batteries. Tenergy D batteries cost quite a bit less and are MUCH easier to charge (since you don't have to charge nine AA batteries..

That's what BJ was asking for the "titanium innovations" brand adapters and was all I knew of currently on the market until I saw this thread...

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
image_zpsdca3f01c.jpg

One concept that I've always found interesting (at least with D cell Mags, not sure it would work with anything else) is running AA batteries WITHOUT adaptors. I recall reading some time back that four AA batteries fit almost perfectly in the barrel of a D cell Mag. And as you can see, this IS the case. Furthermore, capacity would actually EQUAL true D batteries. Of course, such a setup for Mags would require a circular piece of metal on the top that is insulated to prevent shorting against the barrel, a circular plate on the bottom with springs to make contact with the bottoms of the AA batteries, and some sort of dowel that would fit through one of the four spaces between the batteries and the barrel in order to align them. To make matters more complicated, because the difference in length between a pack of AA batteries and D batteries varies depending on the number of cells, you couldn't use the same plates on various size Mags. For instance, a 4D Mag would require thicker plates than a 2D or 3D Mag. But it would allow you to make use of AA batteries in a D cell Mag without losing capacity AND with lower internal resistance than adaptors (FAR fewer connections).

idleprocess

Flashaholic
One concept that I've always found interesting (at least with D cell Mags, not sure it would work with anything else) is running AA batteries WITHOUT adaptors.

I have a series 8xAA to 2xD adaptor I bought a long time ago for a maglite mod. It works well so long as the cells you use are within the standard AA diameter - which produced a near line fit with the 1800mAH Ray-O-Vacs I was using at the time. As you might guess, a number of newer high-capacity cells are larger in diameter - to the point that I scraped some labels off the first time I tried to load the carrier full of 2000 mAH cells - didn't even bother with 2200's or 2500's when those came out.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure how it would have fewer connections.

At the ends (ie by the tailspring and switch), there would be the same number of connections as with adaptors. Just like an adaptor, the terminals of the batteries will need to make contact with the plates. And the plates will have to make contact with the terminals on the flashlight. It's between the batteries themselves that things are different. With this particular setup, the batteries simply make contact with one another. This is just one connection between batteries. On the other hand, with adaptors, the positive terminals of the batteries must make contact with the top of the adaptors, the adaptor must make contact with the adjacent adaptor, and the negative terminals of the batteries in the next adaptor must make contact with that adaptor. Thus, between batteries, the number of contacts is reduced from three to one.

If you are familiar with the Coast HP550 which was available at Costco last winter, the setup in a Mag would be VERY similar.

image_zpse5c9dcc4.jpg

Of course, in the end, Tenergy Centuras are a MUCH simpler option.

Last edited:

Wrend

Enlightened
Funny thing though is that true D cells should have significantly higher capacity than 4 parallel AAs, given the same chemistry type and proportionally similar cell construction practices.

I'm guessing that it's just standard practice to skimp on material and construction costs for C and D cells, maybe in part to pass some of the proportionally lower cost on to the consumers so that they'll actually buy the cells.

Personally, I think some actually true Eneloop C and D cells would be amazing. While I likely wouldn't need a lot of them (though I might find a reason to, if given the opportunity), I would definitely buy some of them. Making mobile packs out of them to use as power supplies for recharging handheld devices comes to mind too.

Last edited:

Gtamazing

Newly Enlightened
I have a bunch of adapters too. All series no parallel. I used AA's to get the voltage instead of li-ions in low current lights. But I still not sure why the whole parallel AA to replace D cells question get dragged out so much. Tenergy LSD D cells are inexpensive have better capacity and can deliver serious current. I have a 8.4A sst-90 mag that uses Tenergys. I'd like to see those cheap chinese adapters do that kind of amperage.

I suppose it's cause so many drool over eneloops using anything else would be uncool.

Wrend

Enlightened
I could get plenty of current from a pack I made. For some of the ones I have for various hobby related stuff, we're talking 100s of amps.

Anyway, my point was that actually true D sized cells should theoretically have much higher capacities than what they do, much higher than 8000mAh for LSD cells of Eneloop quality, for example.

mccririck

Enlightened
I have a bunch of adapters too. All series no parallel. I used AA's to get the voltage instead of li-ions in low current lights. But I still not sure why the whole parallel AA to replace D cells question get dragged out so much. Tenergy LSD D cells are inexpensive have better capacity and can deliver serious current. I have a 8.4A sst-90 mag that uses Tenergys. I'd like to see those cheap chinese adapters do that kind of amperage.

I suppose it's cause so many drool over eneloops using anything else would be uncool.

No, it's not that at all imo. Firstly you get more flexibility. You also dont have to buy a new charger. And another reason is here in the UK high capacity D cells are expensive.

mccririck

Enlightened
Anyway, my point was that actually true D sized cells should theoretically have much higher capacities than what they do, much higher than 8000mAh for LSD cells of Eneloop quality, for example.

The highest capacity D cell I'm aware of is the 11,000mAh Powerex. Very expensive, however.

idleprocess

Flashaholic

It's a matter of incremental cost. True high-capacity C/D cells offer better all-around performance, but must be dedicated to the function and typically require an additional investment in better chargers - as covered in previous posts:

I have the AA eneloops already, so it is actually more economical for the $6 adapters to me. Don't forget to add in the price of a D worthy charger as well. My i4 says it will do up to C. I figure if I don't like them they are going to be good for emergencies too.
Availability and pricing of true high-capacity NiMH C/D cells has never been very good - to say nothing of the LSD versions. The same can be said of decent chargers for C/D cells (ie I have a middling AAA/AA/C/D charger that probably can't do 10AH cells in a single 16+ hour sitting). Heavy users of C/D cells would probably be better off investing true C/D cells and a proper charger due to superior performance. The rest of us with stacks of AA cells and occasional need for C/D cells could benefit from some adaptors - less capacity, but expands the capabilities of what we already have for less.

And I'm not cool enough to use eneloops either - instead opting for other LSD cells from the likes of Ray-O-Vac or a brand I've only seen at Fry's : Uniross.