Best USA manufacturer

Best USA flashlight manufacturer (Which would you trust your life to)

• Surefire

Votes: 24 22.0%
  • Streamlight

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • Malkoff

Votes: 41 37.6%
  • ElZetta

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • HDS

Votes: 31 28.4%

• Total voters

BugoutBoys

Enlightened
+1.

My thoughts exactly. SF could learn a lesson about modularity and beam tint from their other American competitors.
My take (as much as I love white wall hunting) is that SF specifically makes their flashlights for military, law-enforcement, and those who rely on their lights for safety and in tough conditions where their life may be on the line. Yes, the potted electronics sounds great. Same with modularity. But I feel that Malkoff has appealed to more of the flashaholic community than the military demographic. I'm not saying the flashlights aren't good. They sound like they're incredible! What I'm saying is that it seems to me that Surefire makes their flashlights to be a military grade flashlight rather than one that is appealing with tint and modification ability. if that makes sense

Last edited:

maglite mike

Enlightened
My take (as much as I love white wall hunting) is that SF specifically makes their flashlights for military, law-enforcement, and those who rely on their lights for safety and in tough conditions where their life may be on the line. Yes, the potted electronics sounds great. Same with modularity. But I feel that Malkoff has appealed to more of the flashaholic community than the military demographic. I'm not saying the flashlights aren't good. They sound like they're incredible! What I'm saying is that it seems to me that Surefire makes their flashlights to be a military grade flashlight rather than one that is appealing with tint and modification ability. if that makes sense

But it says right on the malkoff website " if you are a white wall hunter than this light is not for you "

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast

I agree in part. While it's true that Gene Malkoff tailors some products to the fancy of the flashaholic community, I think all of these companies build lights with the military/LEO crowd in mind, especially Elzetta. Surefire is simply a giant in the industry, while the other manufacturers on this thread are small, comparatively young, and much less well known. Surefire undoubtedly makes good products, but I wonder how many people buy SF for durability, unaware that the likes of Malkoff, HDS, and Elzetta even exist.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree in part. While it's true that Gene Malkoff tailors some products to the fancy of the flashaholic community, I think all of these companies build lights with the military/LEO crowd in mind, especially Elzetta. Surefire is simply a giant in the industry, while the other manufacturers on this thread are small, comparatively young, and much less well known. Surefire undoubtedly makes good products, but I wonder how many people buy SF for durability, unaware that the likes of Malkoff, HDS, and Elzetta even exist.

I think your right,many people are probably not aware of Malkoff,ELzetta and HDS. Most buyers are likely going on a more familiar brand reputation leading them to SF or maybe Streamlight. It is unlikely that many consumers have the same level of information as most of us on this forum and are looking at mfc. specs without the same insight. Not saying that current SF lights are necessarily bad but they are just missing some of the aspects they once had.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Gene strarted out to build flashlights for police. Hence the round, easy to deploy shapes... well not just police but police style lights that also come in handy on the farm, at work, or lots of other tasks.
The flashaholic community of long ago helped him in that role.
He was a forward thinker (and still is for that matter) and with time he has been able to eek out a living crafting his wares a few at a time. CPF probably plays a role in sales too, but there are probably enough Malkoff Devices out there in homes, police cars, and rescue squads being talked about where the business is doing pretty good.
Bravo!

I think your right,many people are probably not aware of Malkoff,ELzetta and HDS. Most buyers are likely going on a more familiar brand reputation leading them to SF or maybe Streamlight. It is unlikely that many consumers have the same level of information as most of us on this forum and are looking at mfc. specs without the same insight. Not saying that current SF lights are necessarily bad but they are just missing some of the aspects they once had.

Police supply stores are loaded with Streamlights these days. Those lights have become a reputable lighting tool for those on a budget. They have an expanding market base due to their reputation as 'better than a D size Mag' and when it really comes down to it their vast selection is part of the reason. Trouble is... most of the 'budget' lights are made overseas. It was a strategy developed a few years ago to hold off competition in police supply stores by up n coming companies touting the latest n greatest output for a lot less money than a stale old Streamlight.

I think SureFire is still feeding an older market that is expanding somewhat. Like Maglite they tend to change slowly so as to keep their current reputation intact with their market.

As a flashaholic I tend to watch trends among the average Joe to get a feel for what appeals to the silent crowd. Many know of Elzetta, HDS, Malkoff, SureFire and Maglite. Yet they tend to frequent big box stores and gladly do their part to keep American business going by buying Maglite products. They tend to think of the ones we tout here as products out of their reach. Partly in terms of price and partly in terms of (lack of) reputation. They don't care one iota about nichia 219 b, c or z... moonlight, fire fly mode or sub-lumens... they want a flashlight that works when they want/need it when there's a fox in the henhouse, the baby is crying at 2am, or there's a screw dropped into the engine bay of their Jeep they can't find.

Over the last couple of years I have bought and gifted numerous "good" flashlights and the recipients have all reacted the same. The Maglite, Rayovac, Streamlight and Coast all get used. The SureFires, Malkoffs, and Elzettas gifted are all stashed like I gave them a gold plated Colt revolver from 1899.
I currently do not own any HDS lights. Great lights, just not for me.

Last edited:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
He was a forward thinker (and still is for that matter) and with time he has been able to eek out a living crafting his wares a few at a time. CPF probably plays a role in sales too, but there are probably enough Malkoff Devices out there in homes, police cars, and rescue squads being talked about where the business is doing pretty good.
Bravo!

I discovered Malkoff Devices only because I ran serendipitously across the Malkoff Junkie thread on this forum while researching something else. Since then, I'm aware that my own posts have sold other Malkoff lights. For me, the smallness of Gene's enterprise (Alabama pun!) is a selling point. I don't think his quality control and customer service can be replicated by larger company.

bykfixer

Flashaholic

^^ Agreed.

CPF was where I discovered SureFire, HDS (various), Elzetta (Elzetta best kept secret thread), and the Malkoff drop in's kept showing up all over the place so I put a WLL in a 6P. That led to trying the MD2 hi/lo. And another, then another. Soon I had at least 1 of each available M31 and M61. Later a Mag drop in. Elzetta lights were also added. My colleagues always marvel at them but sticker shock shys them away. So I gave away a few and to my knowledge none are being used, but stashed away as family heirlooms or something. I keep saying "use 'em man, they're going to hold up to anything and everything you throw at them"... to which I hear "too nice to scratch up" or "remember, I'm a warranty void-r"....
I don't dare give them a McGizmo. lol

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
^^ Agreed.

CPF was where I discovered SureFire, HDS (various), Elzetta (Elzetta best kept secret thread), and the Malkoff drop in's kept showing up all over the place so I put a WLL in a 6P. That led to trying the MD2 hi/lo. And another, then another. Soon I had at least 1 of each available M31 and M61. Later a Mag drop in. Elzetta lights were also added. My colleagues always marvel at them but sticker shock shys them away. So I gave away a few and to my knowledge none are being used, but stashed away as family heirlooms or something. I keep saying "use 'em man, they're going to hold up to anything and everything you throw at them"... to which I hear "too nice to scratch up" or "remember, I'm a warranty void-r"....
I don't dare give them a McGizmo. lol

I once considered giving away an Elzetta AVS. That's how I ended up with my second Elzetta AVS...

jellydonut

Enlightened
Surefire lost me a while ago. I still enjoy their older lights.

Malkoff is the manufacturer that has stood the test of time without getting lost in the jungle of computers and blinkenlights. Pretty much the only manufacturer I'd actively like to buy new lights from these days.