bicycle generator light sets

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
A basic light would consist of a bridge rectifier, two 3 watt white LEDs such as Cree XR-E's, and appropriate optics. Mount the Cree's to a suitable heatsink, put some sort of housing around the LEDs and electronics to protect them from the weather, and attach to the bike.

A more advanced light would include a standlight, and there are varying degrees of sophistication in this type of design. There was a good thread in this sub-forum a few months ago.

You might also want to wire in a second set of LEDs for high speed descents.

There is also the option of using the quad die Cree MC-E LED instead of individual XR-E LEDs. Haven't tried this myself, but it is tempting.

There are lots of options. Since you are using a conventional halogen light at this time, I think you'll be very happy switching to a basic two LED light. The improvement is significant!

regards,
Steve K.

michaelmuller

Newly Enlightened
I saw a friction-free, contact-free dynamo (to power a battery-free bike light)in the web , it is not a hub dynamo that we need to change the whole front whell, but just a attachment to the whell, but still deliver 15 Lux of light power at 10 meter distance, it must be a nice idea to review it, they are at www.magtenlight.com.

Last edited:

sfCyclotourist

Newly Enlightened
I just built this basic light, and it's been working great.

3338248883_356551a6fb.jpg

See http://yojimg.net/bike/equipment/lights/led_lights.php#dyno for details.

-Jim G

dbaeren2002

Newly Enlightened
I don't know about you guys, but I use my bike for commuting, and it's really convenient to have a dynamo lighting the way. I keep battery powered lights for backup, but safety is my main concern; I don't mind carrying a few extra ounces, and I don't mind working a little harder. I commute by bike for exercise, not to compete with anyone.

Bell still makes the dynamo. I'm going to order another for my wife's bike. She rides so seldom at night, it's nice to have the security of a light system that won't run out of juice because it's setting there. AND, I don't have to check the batteries.

There's a set on amazon.com for 14.95 right now, and there are more expensive ones out there. USA Brand makes one too, a little more expensive. Haven't tried that one out yet, but, I 'm very happy with my Bell set.

Calina

Enlightened
I don't know about you guys, but I use my bike for commuting, and it's really convenient to have a dynamo lighting the way. I keep battery powered lights for backup, but safety is my main concern; I don't mind carrying a few extra ounces, and I don't mind working a little harder. I commute by bike for exercise, not to compete with anyone.

Bell still makes the dynamo. I'm going to order another for my wife's bike. She rides so seldom at night, it's nice to have the security of a light system that won't run out of juice because it's setting there. AND, I don't have to check the batteries.

There's a set on amazon.com for 14.95 right now, and there are more expensive ones out there. USA Brand makes one too, a little more expensive. Haven't tried that one out yet, but, I 'm very happy with my Bell set.

That is the great advantage of dynamos: they never run out of juice. And now with the high power LEDs available, you get all the light you need and more; plus it is relatively easy to have a stand light on your lamp.

What's not to love?

ktronik

Enlightened
Dynamo light are still around & have made a big come back now we have super efficient LEDs...

I offer a nice looking dynamo kit, also in DIY form for you guys that like to roll your own... check out the link on the bottom of this post for details...

K

cmscott6

Newly Enlightened
I have dynamos on both of my bikes: a shimano dh3n80 hub on my commuter with a homebrew dual xr-e light (design borrowed heavily from sfCyclotourist), and a Schmidt hub with a Schmidt Edelux light on my rando/long-distance bike. On the Schmidt bike I can feel the extra weight of the wheel, but I can't tell a difference between the light being on or off - it's very efficient. The Shimano has a bit more drag, but my commuter bike is pretty heavy anyway with racks and fenders, so it's not a big difference in the grand scheme of things.

I just really love being able to run a bright headlight on my commute home and not have to worry about carrying extra batteries or stopping in the cold or rain to change batteries.

On brevets I usually have a Princeton Tec Eos helmet light to supplement the Edelux. We usually ride on really dark back roads, so the extra light is helpful.

Chris