Bicycle Stereo Battery

Kurt_Woloch

Enlightened
Amperage is in amps. 12-18v is voltage in volts. To measure amperage, place a digital multimeter set for amps (remembering to use the amp terminal for the leads) and see what the amp draw is?

Um... I suppose "amp" stands for "amplifier" here, not for "amperes". Therefore "Stereo amp is 12-18v" means that the amplifier is able to run on 12 to 18 volts.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
How many amps is your amps with your voltage volts? :)

Seriously though, either his stereo (including amplifier) stuck in a cooler is overheating or max draw of the system is exceeding the battery capacity. If we knew how many amps his system was pulling, we could determine if the limit is heat or the battery itself. :)

pearlbeer

Newly Enlightened
Sorry for the lag.

The amp is not overheating. The DX battery itself shuts off and needs to be reset when drawing a significant current (turning the amp over about 75% of max volume). I'm running three 6" speakers, nothing large.

...and yes. This is a bicycle we are talking about. I built a mount for the cooler/stereo on rear rack.

After reading, I think a small SLA battery will do the trick. I'll check into the LiFePO4 stuff, but think the SLA is likely the way to go. Any suggestions on where/what to buy?

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pick up a 9Ah AGM battery from Batteries Plus. It's easy, user friendly, low maintenance, and durable. Keep it charged, espc after usage and it should last at least 3 yrs. They are safe, proven tech, and fairly idiot proof.