Bike light w/night twinkle/flash, USB charging?

FlyFishn

Newly Enlightened
All,

Are there any other bike light options that have a night time flash mode where the light flickers/twinkles instead of a deep on/off flash?

The Cygolite Metro does this - they call it "SteadyPulse".

I had a Metro for a couple years some years back and liked it, but it quit on me (was charging during the day off a big battery/USB adapter and somehow the light turned on - it was like that most of the day and it never worked since).

My goal is to find a good quality light that does the same thing - if it exists? Or are the Metros the only ones that have a night flash/twinkle mode?

The idea with the mode is to give movement to the light at night to better gain motorists attention without being obnoxious. It helps the rider so as to not disorient in a deep flash. I ride a lot on the roads at night and the added safety factor of this mode is highly desirable.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Never seen that mode before. I run a lezyne zecto drive max. WILL get their attention 100%. 250 lumens, variety of modes/brightness levels.

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure about other jurisdictions but where I live, bicycles driven on public roads are treated as vehicles; some of which applies to lighting. Obviously this is not identical to powered vehicles, but some requirements apply. I think it's not as likely to be enforced strictly, but funky light effects which attract too much attention may not be a good thing...

Dave

DRW

Enlightened
I just started using a Fenix BC26R, it does not have the twinkle mode the OP seeks for a front light. The Fenix replaced a Lights & Motion VIS Pro 1000 Blacktop and it does not have a twinkle mode either. The Fenix has a much wider beam and more lumens, so the wider beam is not dimmer.

I use a Garmin Varia for the rear, and it does have a red twinkle mode (not sure what Garmin calls that mode, it's the third mode after power on).

DRW

Enlightened
I see HDS has a bicycle model with a pulsating strobe mode. I bet this meets the OP's needs.

FlyFishn

Newly Enlightened
I see HDS has a bicycle model with a pulsating strobe mode. I bet this meets the OP's needs.
Link please?
"Pulsating strobe" sounds like a deep flash (on/off, not smaller change in intensity during the pulses). With a model I can look it up. Looking at their line up I don't see any bike-specific lights, but I could be missing the boat on what you're getting at.

DRW

Enlightened
I went for a ride today and noticed the reflection of the Fenix BC26R in blink mode is actually a high/low flash. Not on/off.

That made me wonder about VIS Pro 1000, while it's a very different flash pattern, it's always on to some degree.

I can't see me using either light in a blinking mode at night. But the OP might.