Is the 796 bulb a safe application for a reverse light?

FartMaster3000

Newly Enlightened
Hey CPF đź‘‹

I have an 2003 BMW Z4 that uses a 7506/P21W bulb for the reverse lights. I had an Amazon LED bulb in there recently but I didn't know it was illegal to run, so I took them out. Although they were very bright, the 6500K color temp of them made it hard to see at night sometimes, funny enough.

I read on this forum that the 796 bulb would work as an upgrade for P21W bulb. Thing is, I'm scared of melting/burning the housing or the socket that twists in where the bulb is seated. As these cars age, parts are becoming harder to find so I don't want to do it if it poses any risk due to the design.

The tail light looks like this (the reverse light is the left clear circle). Would this be a problem? Has anyone had issues with the 796 w/ heat or melting as a reverse light? My car is small and low so I need all the light I can get to park at night!

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_8783.jpeg
    IMG_8783.jpeg
    54.2 KB · Views: 24

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
796 is a 35w halogen bulb, vs 21w not halogen oem bulb, It is a lot more likely than not you will thermally damage your light

FartMaster3000

Newly Enlightened
796 is a 35w halogen bulb, vs 21w not halogen oem bulb, It is a lot more likely than not you will thermally damage your light
Thank you, that's what I was afraid of. I'm only using it as reverse lights so they'll be on for a couple seconds daily but I suppose long term that could build up and damage the housings. :(

Hamilton Felix

Enlightened
I have had good luck with the 796 in place of 1176 in my 1986 F250 and 1992 S10 Blazer. Just added them to my 1982 GMC C2500. Thinking about them in the headlights of my John Deere D130 mower.🙄

Over the years, I've had a few of those 55 watt halogen replacements for 1176, and I'd definitely avoid them in anything but an after market lamp that was all metal and glass. They will overload wiring and melt plastic.

BTW factory wiring is always minimal. When I added a manual switch and heavy wire to the rear or my F250 because I wanted to use backup lights as work lights on the wood lot or when coupling a trailer, the voltage difference at the lights was obvious. Shift to reverse, see lights, hit manual switch and see lights get brighter.