Black Glossy Resin Epoxy?

tomcat017

Enlightened
Does anyone have a recommendation for a black, high-gloss resin/epoxy? I think the material used for potting in Malkoff drop-ins looks great. I'm looking to use it in a totally flashlight-unrelated application (making cuff links), but I figured you guys might have a material in mind. Thanks!

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
MG Chemicals Thermal potting compound. It is a two-part mix and can either cure a long time at room temperature or heat cured in about 2 hours. The stuff is extremely messy if you your target area isn't well container/sealed, and about impossible to remove short of physical destruction. Excellent thermal properties for an epoxy, non-conductive, black, and can be glossy-ish.

Best of luck.

TexasLumens

Newly Enlightened
Look At Rio Grande Jewelers supply in Albuquerque NM. They have a selection of colors and epoxies... those can be buffed to a high gloss finish as well. I have used those over the years and they are great.

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use to use some at work to pot electronic components, it was a clear plastic bag with a clip down the centre, the clip kept the resin and the hardener separate you just removed the clip and knead the bag for a couple of minutes, the instruction had a cancer warning, this stuff took a couple of hours to harden.

John.

thslw8jg

Enlightened
You can also use epoxy dyes to color clear epoxy to about any desired color. USA knives has an excellent selection of epoxy dyes. Good luck on your project!