BLF/TLF FW3A - now available

daffy

Enlightened
Awesome torch, with thermal @ 60 c i get a few minutes out of Turbo.
So much torch in 1 package, love the size, weight etc.
Im afraid that my soon to arrive Fireflies 07 may take pole position as its a 21700 with longer runtimes.
Either way after spending a small fortune on stock factory lights (mainly Olight) I've now discovered the flashlights I like most, even adding some colour along the way.

mortuus

Newly Enlightened
Awesome torch, with thermal @ 60 c i get a few minutes out of Turbo.
So much torch in 1 package, love the size, weight etc.
Im afraid that my soon to arrive Fireflies 07 may take pole position as its a 21700 with longer runtimes.
Either way after spending a small fortune on stock factory lights (mainly Olight) I've now discovered the flashlights I like most, even adding some colour along the way.

hm how does thermal help ? if i double click within 10 seconds it starts to get very hot that i dont longer want to run on that high... ?

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
hm how does thermal help ? if i double click within 10 seconds it starts to get very hot that i dont longer want to run on that high... ?

High powered pocket rockets like the FW3A get quite hot during operation. This is normal. Thermal regulation in the driver ramps down output to prevent the light from getting too hot.

In general, the light innards and battery can take a LOT of heat. The usual limiting factor is your hand, since the head should never become hot enough to cause burns.

LedTed

Enlightened
After a couple of email requests, I can't seem to get a shipping update. Does anybody know when these are going to be available again?

gonefishing

Enlightened
So my clip got caught on my seatbelt and when I took the clip off to bend it back, this little O-Ring ripped. Anyone know where I can get a replacement?
5df07a166533072ec78f438eb4a80036.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
That little o-ring isn't there for water resistance. It's just there to provide some friction to keep the clip from rotating. I recommend just sticking it back in the light as-is. Even broken it should still be able to fulfill its function.

gonefishing

Enlightened
That little o-ring isn't there for water resistance. It's just there to provide some friction to keep the clip from rotating. I recommend just sticking it back in the light as-is. Even broken it should still be able to fulfill its function.

Thanks! I noticed immediately that the clip did slide a little. I tried to reinstall it, but it does not stick. Not the end of the world, but I would like to pick a few up if anyone knows where I can find them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LedTed

Enlightened
The FW3A is close to replacing my NC HC30 as my daily EDC. If I could get a few more in different colors, it would be.

My thought is not based on looks alone. Though the FW3A is a handsome little light, it is as fun as it is functional.

For fun, I really like the candle mode. And I really enjoy a rear clicky.

Per function, I like lockout mode and the bright useable beam. I remember lock / unlock by the following, "for safety". That is, four (4 - safety) clicks to put the light into safe mode and another four (4 - use) clicks to take the light out of safe mode. To explain what I mean as a useable beam requires the following practical example.

I took the trash out the other night. Yes, just so I could have an excuse to use my new flashlight. But then I had to temporarily use both hands. So I easily took advantage of the light's clip and quickly, simply pocked the light; without effort or even looking. Just as I used my now free hands to spin around the garbage can, something approached me, low to the ground, and from my blind side. Without as much as a thought, I whipped the light out of where I had just pocketed it and double-clicked the button. I appreciated that the first click gave me light right where I was aiming and appreciated even more that, without moving my aim, the second click gave the intruder a blast of light.

By-the-bye, the "intruder" turned out only to be a friendly neighborhood kitty-cat who was merely investigating the commotion I was causing. Thought the kitty did take a moment to rub up against me, I don't think she had any appreciation for the bright light I had the intuition to blast but not the good since to turn down. For, she sauntered off as easily as she had drifted in.

I, on the other hand, did then and do now appreciate the light. Let me iterate, I cannot overrun the switch. Safety back inside, I tried but could not. And, taking advantage of the clever way actions are consistently handled, I also had fun playing with candle mode.

Though the FW3A it's not what I would call a "tactical" flashlight. The UI is well thought out and the SW is perfectly responsive. It's a blaster which can be easily tuned by simply switching out the optics. And, thought I prefer a snowy white beam, there are a few LED choices available.

Now if I could get a few more in different colors.

Last edited:

boo5ted

Enlightened
Does anyone make a deep carry clip for the FW3A? That's the only thing that's missing imo.

LedTed

Enlightened
According to Neilsgadgets, the FW3X is available for preorder, to be tentatively shipped on August 20th, in various materials and colors.

joshk

Newly Enlightened
What's the main difference between the Nichia and SST20 option? Aren't they both great CRI and about the same brightness?

LedTed

Enlightened
There is something about it on Reddit. Just Google your question and hit the Reddit link.