Blizzard Nemo - NE Snowstorm 2013

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
My sister had her car buried under a couple feet of snow. What to do?

Baked brownies and fed five passersby who then uncovered the car for her. :)

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
645,083 households without power at peak of storm this morning, 400,000+ without power currently.

Snowfall totals: Milford, CT: 38" (2nd largest snowfall all-time)
Portland, ME: 29.3" (1st largest snowfall all-time)
Boston, Logan Airport, NY: 24.9" (5th largest snowfall all-time)
Providence, RI 17": (4th largest snowfall all-time)

Travel ban will remain in place in CT state.

The National Guard delivered a baby in Worcester, MA.

City lights through the storm:

i1X04LBb7eyYj.jpg

I live and work around Milford, CT. While we got over three feet of snow, the fifty mph winds drifted it to five feet in places. I have windows in my house 100% blocked by snow. Zounds!

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Its up to ~ a million households without power now.

My power never went out, I'm about 40 miles south of where it got serious for a change....about 6" was it for us here.

:D

SemiMan

Banned
Hope everyone on the East Coast is making it through this storm. We got 12" or so in parts of Southern Ontario which for us is quite a bit of snow, most in over 5 years.

Semiman

ffemt6263

Enlightened
I live in hamden ct and my ambulance company covers all the surrounding area. Got something like 40". Huge amount of streets still totally inaccessible. Just did a call where we hiked in untouched snow almost a mile to get to a patient and put them in the bucket of a payloader to get them out. Also have national guard transporting people to the hospital. Its quite a mess up here.

Itinifni

Newly Enlightened
West to Uxbridge then turn north, used to head out that way for Sunday morning bike rides. Small world.

sassaquin

Enlightened
We got 27" of snow that was piled so high I couldn't open any of my three storm doors Saturday morning. I was very lucky that I never lost power and my plow guy kept up with the snow by making several passes on my driveway Friday night. Finally, after two days of shoveling (not by me), the walkways and stairs are clear. Sidewalks are still unplowed, so school is cancelled on Monday. Great sledding for the kiddies. :)

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I've read that some of the cities hit hard by the snow are seeing a rash of carbon monoxide alarms as furnace vents get clogged with snow. Yikes.

davidwestonh

Newly Enlightened
Medway MA? I'm in Millis.
I used to hitch hike to Millis when I was twelve to shoot pool.
great memories of Medway police chasing Porche 911 down 109 and wrecking cruisers.
Porche 100 Medway 0.
when I grew up in Medway I shoveled so much snow my arms are still dragging on the ground.
any kids knocking on your door begging to earn some money?

Itinifni

Newly Enlightened
I used to hitch hike to Millis when I was twelve to shoot pool.
great memories of Medway police chasing Porche 911 down 109 and wrecking cruisers.
Porche 100 Medway 0.
when I grew up in Medway I shoveled so much snow my arms are still dragging on the ground.
any kids knocking on your door begging to earn some money?

I don't think kids do that anymore, at least none that I've seen. After storms like this we used to hit the streets and make money all day. Same thing with cutting grass in the summer.
I grew up in Medfield, when they were building 27 in the mid 70s the racing on Friday nights was like clockwork.

davidwestonh

Newly Enlightened
I don't think kids do that anymore, at least none that I've seen. After storms like this we used to hit the streets and make money all day. Same thing with cutting grass in the summer.
I grew up in Medfield, when they were building 27 in the mid 70s the racing on Friday nights was like clockwork.
Groundhog day, "don't drive angry" reminds me of how aggressive mass. Drivers were. I used to lock up my brakes for tailgaters. Jan and Dean should have statues built there.
any confessions on wilding in your youth?
my best story was at Fort Bragg, a roommate had just had the engine of his red GTO rebuilt.
i was in the back seat. No seatbelts. He stomped on the gas and we were off, he passed severall cars and pulled back into the normal lane and went to the breakdown lane passing severall cars, repeat.
there was around thirty cars stopped facing everywhere. Fortunately we didn't bounce out.
he had no brakes.
i do miss Dynamic 88., bench seats, bias belted tires.
do you remember everyone building Dune buggies around 1970?

Stream

Enlightened
I think the scariest thing about winter in the US is the drivers. I've seen so may of those ridiculous Bambi on ice videos on youtube from the US. Bad drivers who don't know how to handle a car on slippery roads, and who don't seem to think they need snow tires in winter. I remember one scary video in particular of a mom climbing out of her fancy new pickup truck that was upside down in a ditch, you could clearly tell by the treads on her tires that they weren't snow tires. And she had her kids in the car! :faint: So she can afford payments on a fancy new truck, but she can't afford snow tires? :shakehead

Over here, winter tires with a minimum tread depth of 3mm are mandatory during winter months, and licensing requirements are much, much stricter. So fewer bad drivers. They also require you to take a course on how to handle a car on slippery road surfaces. The result is fewer fatalities, and fewer Bambi on ice comedy routines on youtube lol.

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
We didn't get as much snow out in the NYC, but it was still enough to grind just about everything to a halt, especially the unprepared.

The morning after the storm, I walked to my Jeep that was street parked. Thankfully, I had the wipers and side mirrors covered with vinyl bags, so I didn't have to defrost them. I still had to get the snow pile off the roof and windows, but that wasn't much of a big deal. The car did have barrier of snow surrounding it, thanks to the garbage trucks with snow plows that "clear" the streets by dumping them onto street parked cars.

Now, before I started the clearing process, I noticed that there was a sedan about 300 feet ahead of where my car was desperately trying to get out of his spot. His friend or whatever was standing nearby with a snow shovel, while driver was futilely trying to get out of the ditch by flooring the gas, which wasn't helping at all since all he was accomplishing was to dig himself further down, not to mention that he had the wheels not straightened out.

It took me about 15 minutes to get the snow off of my SUV. I didn't even bother with the barrier. When I was done, I looked at where the sedan was again and, not surprisingly, it was still there, not having made any progress. He still had his wheels turned and was trying to grunt his way out, which wasn't going to happen any time soon.

I almost felt like giving him some pointers to help him out, but then I realized that the guy had absolutely zero knowledge of basic physics, so any compassion I might have had for him vanished in a puff.

I got into my car, started her up, did a little warming, and then engaged 4WD and 2nd gear and just plowed out of my ditch.