Blocklite 9v. Did I get burned?

hammerdrop99

Newly Enlightened
I wanted some LED lights for stashing in various places for emergency uses. I have ordered 5 Blocklite LED lights for $20 (no batteries) from a good rated vendor. Not a big eBay buyer, so hopefully I don't get screwed.

Are these lights fairly reliable? Do they put out reasonable light?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Rosoku Chikara

Enlightened
I once had a very similar 9V LED light, and it was quite nice and surprisingly bright. There is very little that can go wrong with such a simple design, so if they work at all (and all 6 LEDs appear to be equally lit), then I suspect such lights will work fine for quite some time. Price-wise, it looks to me that you got a good price, based on the other prices I see for a "Blocklight." Therefore, I think you will likely be very happy with your purchase.

A "few" words of unsolicited comments: In my opinion, the draw-back of 9V flashlights is the relatively expensive cost of the 9V battery. And, 9V batteries are not nearly as common as, say AA, or AAA cells. One advantage of AA and AAA is that you can often rob them from "non-essential" devices such as remote controls for use in flashlights in an emergency such as power failure.

On the other hand, after a natural disaster, all stores (at least in Japan) tend to run out of AA and AAAs cells in short order. 9V batteries are, however, often still available on store shelves. So, it can be a matter of personal judgement whether you prefer the more common sizes or not, for emergency use.

Another advantage of the more common AA and AAA sizes is the availability of excellent quality modern NiMH rechargables such as Eneloops. (One word of caution: once you get started with Eneloops you are likely to become "addicted" and you will never be able to return to normal. :))

As far as low-cost AA flashlights, there is something known as the Sipik SK68, and its many "clones," which are often available at extremely low prices. (A low price is around $4.00 but they have been had before for only $2.00, including shipping. You can also find them at much higher prices, but be careful, they more expensive ones are usually exactly the same as the cheapest ones.) These are surprisingly bright and reasonably reliable flashlights. Some people love them, others tend to hate them, but I think the the primary rationale for the disdain among the "haters" is the often extremely low cost of these lights.

Sipik SK68s can also accept 14500 Li-Ion rechargable cells. This is a whole other "wonderful world" of flashlight batteries, but you should study up on them to prevent potentially dangerous accidents. Li-Ion cells can, under certain rare conditions, be quite volatile. But, with proper attention and care, they can be used quite safely, if you wish to use them. (You will need a voltage meter, and a "good" safe charger. Neither of these is all that expensive, but you need to read-up on them and learn how to use them.)

Last edited:

hammerdrop99

Newly Enlightened
I once had a very similar 9V LED light, and it was quite nice and surprisingly bright. There is very little that can go wrong with such a simple design, so if they work at all (and all 6 LEDs appear to be equally lit), then I suspect such lights will work fine for quite some time. Price-wise, it looks to me that you got a good price, based on the other prices I see for a "Blocklight." Therefore, I think you will likely be very happy with your purchase.

A "few" words of unsolicited comments: In my opinion, the draw-back of 9V flashlights is the relatively expensive cost of the 9V battery. And, 9V batteries are not nearly as common as, say AA, or AAA cells. One advantage of AA and AAA is that you can often rob them from "non-essential" devices such as remote controls for use in flashlights in an emergency such as power failure.

On the other hand, after a natural disaster, all stores (at least in Japan) tend to run out of AA and AAAs cells in short order. 9V batteries are, however, often still available on store shelves. So, it can be a matter of personal judgement whether you prefer the more common sizes or not, for emergency use.

Another advantage of the more common AA and AAA sizes is the availability of excellent quality modern NiMH rechargables such as Eneloops. (One word of caution: once you get started with Eneloops you are likely to become "addicted" and you will never be able to retrun to normal. :))

As far as low-cost AA flashlights, there is something known as the Sipik SK68, and its many "clones," which are often available at extremely low prices. (A low price is around $4.00 but they have been had before for only $2.00, including shipping. You can also find them at much higher prices, but be careful, they more expensive ones are usually exactly the same as the cheapest ones.) These are surprisingly bright and reasonably reliable flashlights. Some people love them, others tend to hate them, but I think the the primary rationale for the disdain of the "haters" is their often extremely low cost.)

Sipik SK68s can also accept 14500 Li-Ion rechargable cells. This is a whole other "wonderful world" of flashlight batteries, but you should study up on them to prevent potentially dangerous accidents. Li-Ion cells can, under certain rare conditions, be quite volatile. But, with proper attention and care, they can be used quite safely, if you wish to use them. (You will need a voltage meter, and a "good" safe charger. Neither of these is all that expensive, but you need to read-up on them and learn how to use them.)

Thanks for the feedback. I have a Fenix LD20 and my Fenix LD15 is always in my pocket. My intended use for the Blocklites are stashing them for quick use at work (periodic power outages), the vehicles and on the nightstand. Seemed like a good product for those infrequent needs.

how2

Enlightened
You can really cheap good quality lights lights with xm-l led for between $5 to $10. You could have done a lot better. Next time before you buy it post any queston here.

Rosoku Chikara

Enlightened
...You could have done a lot better...<snip>

Your post seems a little too harsh to me.

You do realize that the OP almost certainly means that he paid $20.00 for 5 pcs., or $4.00 each?

What exact model XM-L flashlight are you suggesting for $5.00?

I presume you are suggesting an 18650 flashlight, but not everyone wants to "jump into Li-Ion cells with both feet" and start using low priced 18650 cells. Nor should they, due to the inherent potential for poor outcomes (sometimes dangerous outcomes).

But, I do agree. The "Unenlightened" can often benefit from posting their questions here before they purchase.

Last edited:

how2

Enlightened
I have bought xm-l C12 lights for $5 on ebay and website you just have to look. I have bought many good quality lights for under $10. There has only been one case that I know of a 18650 battery going wrong.

Rosoku Chikara

Enlightened
I have bought xm-l C12 lights for $5 on ebay and website you just have to look. I have bought many good quality lights for under $10. There has only been one case that I know of a 18650 battery going wrong.

Thanks for your prompt reply. A search of the USA eBay website shows the cheapest currently available XM-L C12 to be $13.50 + $2.50 shipping. There do not appear to even be any auctions that even started out with a lower price than that. (Of course, flashlight prices do fluctuate, so it is possible to find extraordinary deals on occasion.)

Entering "18650 battery failure" in Google Search yields about 146,000 results, although obviously not all of them are going to prove relevant. The fifth result is a thread from this very forum documenting an example of dramatic 18650 failure that thankfully resulted in only minor injuries. While extremely rare, and often preventable, many other well documented examples of violent explosions do exist:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?280909-Ultrafire-18650-3000mA-exploded

Last edited:

SBDoneshot

Newly Enlightened
I also have bought Blocklite for 9V battery. They are inexpensive and they include a 9v battery for around $5 each. They work well. They just clip to the top of the battery. They have three settings for 2,4 or 6 LED's. They are unregulated, so you can even use your old smoke detector battery in one for several hours. I tested mine, after all night left on, it was dimmer but still working.
I would say buy them for extra lights or giveaways, but don't count on them to save your life. Bad thing is the switch is easy to accidentally turn on, so store it disconnected.

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforums

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast

This is one of the reasons I ended up getting my Safe-Light Palight Survival. There should be plenty of 9V cells on the shelf and practically ever house has a 9V cell in there smoke detector so they will be readily available. The reason I decided on the Palight was it has no "off" but a super low glow in the "off" position for ease of locating it.

To the OP I say the blocklights should be a fine choice for the purpose you bought them.

hammerdrop99

Newly Enlightened
I also have bought Blocklite for 9V battery. They are inexpensive and they include a 9v battery for around $5 each. They work well. They just clip to the top of the battery. They have three settings for 2,4 or 6 LED's. They are unregulated, so you can even use your old smoke detector battery in one for several hours. I tested mine, after all night left on, it was dimmer but still working.
I would say buy them for extra lights or giveaways, but don't count on them to save your life. Bad thing is the switch is easy to accidentally turn on, so store it disconnected.

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforums

Thanks. I bought them not expecting top notch quality, just the occasional use when the need arises. I thought it would be handy to have one in the van for finding that dropped french fry or at work when the power goes out (no windows). I do always have my Fenix LD15, but it gets pretty hot after a while.

DaveG

Enlightened
I have a couple of block lights,also Paklites and Palights.I use them all and knowing the limitations on light out put with them,still like having them as a backup power outage light. I took a 6-aa adapter with 9v tabs on top, pop a Paklite or Block light on it for long run time power out light.I lost power for four days thanks to a October snow storm,I like to have back ups handy.I use the Paklite as a hotel room night light,for 3am calls of nature,it works great.

Rosoku Chikara

Enlightened
I have a couple of block lights,also Paklites and Palights.I use them all and knowing the limitations on light out put with them,still like having them as a backup power outage light. I took a 6-aa adapter with 9v tabs on top, pop a Paklite or Block light on it for long run time power out light.I lost power for four days thanks to a October snow storm,I like to have back ups handy.I use the Paklite as a hotel room night light,for 3am calls of nature,it works great.

I had never heard of a "6-aa adapter with 9v tabs on top." Could you please post some pics or provide a link? (Such an adapter sounds interesting to me.)