Banned
lads, if this dont set ur pants on fire, nothing will:cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCrwelQUTMc
P1010243.jpg

1 what

Enlightened
Yikes!!
Very impressive.
Only one small point - Paper burner doesn't sound as impressive as "Barn Burner". But please don't demonstrate it on my barn.:D.

Flashanator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have this Light. Its pretty good, but I hate the battery setup. Where you have to wait for the overcharge to go away (2.5hr wait) b4 use. Or you will instaflash the bulb.:(

Imagine what Lux Luthor's Mag Mods would do. Hint: Burn down a forest?:laughing:

Metatron

Banned
I have this Light. Its pretty good, but I hate the battery setup. Where you have to wait for the overcharge to go away (2.5hr wait) b4 use. Or you will instaflash the bulb.:(

Imagine what Lux Luthor's Mag Mods would do. Hint: Burn down a forest?:laughing:
not the perfect setup i agree, but as an incan its pretty good, now as soon as my new lens arrives i will pit it against my MF warrior III. from initial observations the borealis is bright and this leads me to believe the stated lumen output of the MF has been exagerated somewhat...

Last edited:

Flashanator

Flashlight Enthusiast
yer the MF is not what it claims 2b. I heard the ballast is underpowered (IIRC) And with the high 7000K colour temp its prob 2200-2500lumens.

I once instaflashed a Borealis bulb after waiting 2.5hrs, so now I wait 3hrs for over charge to go away.:ohgeez:

I found the Borealis to blow away those cheapo 1-2million CP halogen lights (6v 55w & 12v 55w) it matches them in light output & is so sexy looking.

:cool:

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Metatron -

Have you noticed that a borealis is an iteration of a Mag85? I thought that knowing this may help your total knowledge of that B.A. Hotwire.

Metatron

Banned
Metatron -

Have you noticed that a borealis is an iteration of a Mag85? I thought that knowing this may help your total knowledge of that B.A. Hotwire.
yup, am getting to understand a few things, i have all my led bases covered, hid is covered, but i find incandescent most interesting.
just one question, in a Mag85 setup, is the original mag switch up to par or does that too need upgrading?

Last edited:

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agreeing with addictedmat. I can't remember exactly what amperage the 100+ Watt club members said it starts rattling but I'm thinking it's 9 Amps. Knowing your builder from this board I'm guessing your 85 is running 3.29A to 3.31A under load.

Many guys do a "resistance fix" on the switch and those terms in the Google search should yield some threads about that. Resistance is a player. IOWs it's not just VxA = W. A nice path with good delivery can enhance performance markedly in the upper end of the overdrive zone. I think that jauncho's Mag85s use a KIU bi-pin holder. If so, the resistance is low enough. I like C cell Mags for most of my outside purposes better than D cell Mags. The Cs seem to have less resistance, I believe partly due to anode being a copper tab and not an EN coated spring.

If that Borealis makes you smile when you fire it up then you are good to go.

Fulgeo

Enlightened
Flashanator,

When I charge up my M85 and do not wish to wait on the charge to stabilize before I use it I do the following. I discharge the freshly charged battery back at 3 Amps for 30-45 secs. If you do not have a charging station that allows you to discharge you can also hook up an Osram 12V lamp (a 64610 works great and can be had for less than $5.00) to your battery pack for 30 secs. When in doubt whip out your VOHM and check your battery pack's voltage. If you are under 12 volts you are good to go with the AW1185. Hope this was helpful.

I once instaflashed a Borealis bulb after waiting 2.5hrs, so now I wait 3hrs for over charge to go away.:ohgeez:

:cool:

Monocrom

Flashaholic

That certainly is eye-opening.... and a bit disappointing. :sigh:

juancho

Enlightened
That certainly is eye-opening.... and a bit disappointing. :sigh:

The POWEREX 2700 mah batteries accumulate an over-charge that will go away in 2 1/2 hours.
Batteries such as the cbp1650 need a WAIT of 5 hours. due to a more powerful over-charge.

OR you can use a BLEDDING LAMP PLUGGED INTO THE BACK OF THE BATTERY CARRIER, FOR 50 SECONDS, TO GET RID OF THE OVER CHARGE.

Picture of my first Bleeding Lamp, We do it better, now.

dischargelamp.jpg

Some weak batteries will not accumulate an over-charge, but will be not enough high current to power the bulb properly.

The POWEREX 2700 mah batteries are VERY high current, I use them to power a 75 watt 2200 lumens light that use 12 of these POWEREX 2700 mah.
They also have 1/2 of 1 % of self discharge per day, which is better than the Sanyo 2700.

If you want to make your own Bleeding Lamp, you need a MR 16 socket, a size M phono plug and a MR 16 50 watt 12 volts lamp.

Cheers
Juan C.

Last edited:

Metatron

Banned
The POWEREX 2700 mah batteries accumulate an over-charge that will go away in 2 1/2 hours.
Batteries such as the cbp1650 need a WAIT of 5 hours. due to a more powerful over-charge.

OR you can use a BLEDDING LAMP PLUGGED INTO THE BACK OF THE BATTERY CARRIER, FOR 50 SECONDS, TO GET RID OF THE OVER CHARGE.

Picture of my first Bleeding Lamp, We do it better, now.

dischargelamp.jpg

Some weak batteries will not accumulate an over-charge, but will be not enough high current to power the bulb properly.

The POWEREX 2700 mah batteries are VERY high current, I use them to power a 75 watt 2200 lumens light that use 12 of these POWEREX 2700 mah.
They also have 1/2 of 1 % of self discharge per day, which is better than the Sanyo 2700.

If you want to make your own Bleeding Lamp, you need a MR 16 socket, a size M phono plug and a MR 16 50 watt 12 volts lamp.

Cheers
Juan C.
hey there BB, nice to see u here!
steve

king2penn

Enlightened
Just got my borealis today... (shipped all the way from USA). it burned several ants but i failed to set some tissue paper on fire.. prob because i never put it close enough to the bulb :tinfoil: light output was impressive easily beat my 4D incand light

king2penn

Enlightened
Just got this little baby in the mail today....:naughty:

Medium Stipple.
1000931pzh7.jpg

Look forward to night time.

Good to see this thread being revived.. My black borealis uses OP:naughty: do tell me about ur experience with medium stipple;thinking of getting it