Boruit 6000mAh 18650 Li-ion

GadgetJim

Newly Enlightened
Question regarding two batteries that came with my Boruit 5000 Lumens Headlamp (wear on your head) ..... I have my doubts that these batteries are even close to 6000mAh .....

I am charging them in my new Opus BT-C3400 charger, and after two days, the Boruit batteries are reading: 1) 3.74v/1509mAh, 2) 3.80v/1001mAh.

I have two other batteries in the charger also: 1) Orbtronic 3400mAh, which reads (still charging) 3.85v/3221mAh, 2) Magnus Innovation 2600mAh (still charging) and reads 4.17v/2595mAh.

I searched around the Internet, and could not find these Boruit 6000mAh li-ion batteries. I did find the 4000mAh though.

For the battery experts ..... Please share your comments regarding these Boruit 6000mAh batteries .... Are these for real, fake .... They are button-top, longer than the Magnus Innovation batteries, with PCB.

So far, I'm liking the Boruit RJ-5000 headlamp. It lights up the entire front yard, so I can do yard work at night, when the temperature is cooler. It uses two 18650 li-ion batteries, but will run on only one battery (but will not work with flat-top batteries), and is very bright, but not as bright as my Magnus Innovation 860 Lumens (which I doubt is really 860 Lumens). This Boruit headlamp is about the same brightness as my Cygolite Metro 360 Lumens Bicycle Light (which I doubt is really 360 Lumens. I'm guessing probably more like 200-250 Lumens ?).

The Boruit headlamp is very heavy, with a large battery pack built into the back of the head strap. I can just barely fit my bicycle helmet over this massive headlamp.

The Boruit RJ-5000 comes with the two Boruit 6000mAh batteries, USB charger, and AC wall charger, for $38.00 (US) plus tax and shipping. I still have not used the batteries that came with the headlamp because they are still charging after two days .....

georgeib

Newly Enlightened
No such thing as a 6000 mAh 18650, nor a 4000 mAh. There are a few really crappy used 18650s with labels that say those ridiculous numbers though...

I think the highest REAL TIME capacity 18650 cell is 3600 or 3500 mAh. The 3400 Orbtronic cells are legit.

GadgetJim

Newly Enlightened
No such thing as a 6000 mAh 18650, nor a 4000 mAh. There are a few really crappy used 18650s with labels that say those ridiculous numbers though...

I think the highest REAL TIME capacity 18650 cell is 3600 or 3500 mAh. The 3400 Orbtronic cells are legit.

That's what I suspected. My Boruit 6000mAh batteries have been on my Opus charger for two days, and are still only at 1509mAh and 1709mAh. Will be interesting to see how many hours of light I get from these two fake batteries .....

ven

Flashaholic
I would not be putting those batteries anywhere near a headlamp, or your head!

+6000 to that!

Spend a little as $10-$15 on a couple of sanyo or panasonic protected cells for 2 examples.

I am not kidding about loosing your head, recycle the junk and be safe:) they are cheap enough as is, when it comes to the potential devastation, cant put a price on that.

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep recycle the Boruit cells. Get a cell based off a Sony, LG, Samsung, Panasonic, or Sanyo. Most everything else is a gamble. If in doubt check HKJ's reviews.

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I say recycled I don't mean given new wrappers and sold over seas lol. I mean taken to a place that recycles then to properly dispose of them.

oKtosiTe

Enlightened
GadgetJim, please let us know you are OK (I'm genuinely concerned for your safety) and that you will dispose of these likely dangerous cells properly.

You have a decent charger and a number of decent cells, so presumably it should be possible for you to source more quality cells.

Last edited:

Liber8

Newly Enlightened
I have two Boruits that claim to be 4000mah. They are about half that. I def wouldnt put them near my head. Oddly enough there are quite a few products on Amazon that ship with Boruit cells and I dont recall anyone mentioning a battery incident in their review.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you have an OPUS charger it is easy to sort out things like that. Just check their internal resistance. Low resistance means a fake, high -- a rewrapped "recycled" normal battery. Both imply a positive danger being used.

A fake may emit poisonous gas while charging (this is not venting, the gas is invisible). An old normal battery being way beyond its life cycle may overheat under charge and vent or even explode.

Last edited:

Liber8

Newly Enlightened
If you have an OPUS charger it is easy to sort out things like that. Just check their internal resistance. Low resistance means a fake, high -- a rewrapped "recycled" normal battery. Both imply a positive danger being used.

A fake may emit poisonous gas while charging (this is not venting, the gas is invisible). An old normal battery being way beyond its life cycle may overheat under charge and vent or even explode.

i'm curious, what is a "good" number for internal resistance of a healthy 18650 cell?

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
OP dispose of these supposed 6000mah 18650's they are literally fire hazards. Ive had fakes that emitted an overpowering chemical (Ultrafire 3100mah)that made me sick. Wherever in the world you are OP it IS worth it to eat the cost of real legit cells. In Europe Nkon sells legit cells. Avoid Fasttech like the plague. Gearbest is okay. Deal Extreme is okay. Better to eat the cost than breathe the toxic fumes of a counterfeit