Breakaway neck lanyards

Petersen

Newly Enlightened
To clarify, I meant cord locks, not cord lock ends. Here is an example of what I mean by using just a cord lock to improvise a break away lanyard:

P1040547.jpg

You can see in the photo that the ends of the cord I am using are held together simply by the cord lock i.e. there is no knot or cord lock end beyond it so that with a firm tug the cord lock will break loose from the ends of the cord.

This looks like the older SureFire lanyards - at least the ones that came with my C3 and M6 :D

gallonoffuel

Enlightened
When I worked as concert security when I was in school I used this brand.

http://store.ekusa.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=4_27&sort=20a&page=1

I had a drunk female try and fight me because I was kicking out her boyfirend and she grabbed my Id thinking she would get control of me but was very surprised that it came off. I rember her looking at her hand and only having my ID and Lanyard in her hand and not my neck. I had my hands full trying to kick out the fighting drunk boyfriend but the lanyard worked like a charm. Other security grabbed the girlfriend and my lanyard back and they got a free trip to jail for assault.

VERY interesting. I had originally used a Blackhawk C.I.A. lanyard for my ID purposes. Those look EXACTLY the same. Furthering my theory that Blackhawk makes nothing themselves, and just stamps their name on other readily available products. The only exception would be their SERPA holsters, but thats for another forum. :)

qarawol

Enlightened
I too needed a breakaway neck lanyard for safety reasons at work. I like leather and never could find one that fit my needs so I had to make one up myself.

100_2214.jpg

100_2215.jpg

100_2216.jpg

Using 2 small snaps is what keeps the two lengths of leather together. Excess pull of about 25 pounds will auto unsnap the snaps and the complete lanyard falls free from my neck.

The Flashlight, keys, key holder clip, and ID holder all can be removed and changed as needed on the fly. The removable key holder is a nice touch for there are times I don't need to use this lanyard so the key clip with keys are removed in one motion and on to the belt it goes.

Njoy...

ragweed

Enlightened
I have been using the Lighthound ones for awhile now. They do not break away easily but, do break before your neck does. I would recommend them any day for a single flashlight for EDC use. The EK ones will hold more weight as in: ID card, keys, light, pen, & procedure booklet.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Break-aways from LightHound Linked to in the Opening Post ... work VERY well ... and that's what I've used for years.

Configuring them to breakaway behind the neck is a good idea and prevents you from being slapped in the face or EYE by the end when it comes apart. I make all mine to break behind the neck . Easily reconnected in the field too .

Always use break-aways !

+2 I use the same break-away on my badge holder neck lanyard and center it behind the neck.There are two break away possibilities with this type.Even if the break-away connection doesn't work the cord will still come out of the holes fairly easily as it is only the melted part that holds it in.I have a number of these break-aways and the force it takes to make them work seems to vary so if you are in doubt order several and pick the one that best fits your needs.As I posted previously I don't believe these really require that much force and may not be suitable for heavier items or more rigorous activities.Good choice for neck lanyards as you want them to break away without a lot of force.

Last edited:

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Commercial solutions generally fail on two counts: lack of documentation and questionable quality control. The ads rarely state the release weight and if they did one would still have to trust their quality control once it was ascertained that the separation force of the product was appropriate.

Assuming that the breakaway device may involve life or death situations the failings noted above would dictate not only initial testing but also testing on a continuing basis since it cannot be assumed that their performance will remain static over time.

This is a complicated issue.

If the lanyard is for the neck the simplest, safest, most consistent performer over the long haul is probably the shortest workable length of stainless steel bead chain. It is cheap and will provide a very high level of safety over an extended period of time without all of the testing on the user's part demanded by other schemes to attain the same safety and reliability. The SS is also unaffected by prolonged exposure to UV or chemical vapors which are a factor in some environs.

Last edited:

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Commercial solutions generally fail on two counts: lack of documentation and questionable quality control. The ads rarely state the release weight and if they did one would still have to trust their quality control once it was ascertained that the separation force of the product was appropriate.

Assuming that the breakaway device may involve life or death situations the failings noted above would dictate not only initial testing but also testing on a continuing basis since it cannot be assumed that their performance will remain static over time.

This is a complicated issue.

If the lanyard is for the neck the simplest, safest, most consistent performer over the long haul is probably the shortest workable length of stainless steel bead chain. It is cheap and will provide a very high level of safety over an extended period of time without all of the testing on the user's part demanded by other schemes to attain the same safety and reliability. The SS is also unaffected by prolonged exposure to UV or chemical vapors which are a factor in some environs.

Actually I have a night vision green Photon Freedom on a stainless steel bead chain.Must have picked that idea up from somebody on this forum...............:D.The reason I like the Lighthound break-aways is that I can physically yank the lanyard and it breaks away.I agree that anyone using a break-away connection or lanyard should test it according to how it will be used.For my needs the Lighthound break-aways work well but they may not be suitable in a more critcal environment.