Bright 2-AA for Land Navigation using red filter

Hartland

Newly Enlightened
My son needs a small flashlight with good throw for nighttime land navigation exercizes in the Army. He must use a red light by the rules. He uses a headlamp to work his way through the woods but once close, he needs a much brighter light, with good throw, to pick up the markers. Ruggedness is obviously another requirement.

I was thinking of a 2-AA LED using eneloop rechargables such as the following:

4Sevens Quark Mini AA-2
Jetbeam BA20
Fenix LD20

He is open to switch type. I'd prefer to keep the cost to under $50 if possible. Please give me your suggestions.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
It sounds silly, but the Inova keychain lights come in red and on the "high" setting, has a pretty respectable throw, especially in the middle of the woods, at night.

The trick is finding a red filter that fits the light - and that's the most annoying part of the exercise.

Not a great option, but something you can put your hands on quickly: a MaglitePRO LED with a filter kit.

My advice to you is to make sure you have (or can get) a filter that fits the light first before buying the light.

Bicycleflyer

Enlightened
Go with either the Energizer 2AA Swivel Light-Military (formerly the "nitestrike"), or the Streamlight Sidewinder. There are brighter lights, but both of these are more than bright enough for the land navigation course and any subsequent duty your son will find himself on. In addition to adjustable white and red LEDs, both these lights also include blue, green, and in some cases, IR LEDs just in case your son ever finds himself in need of these.

I'm not allowed to post links, but do a google search and you willl find a lot more information on both these lights. Including some youtube vids.
[h=1][/h]

Hartland

Newly Enlightened
Just found this: http://www.amazon.com/review/R1RJGBGE21OT7M

The Surefire F05 fits the Fenix E21 (and very likely the E11) flashlights. The E21 from Amazon will run you $35. The F05 filter, $15 from Amazon - net result, $50 even.

After doing more research, I discovered that a white LED produces very little light in the red spectrum. Using a red filter simply blocks all but the red light, leaving a very dim output. For this reason, I'm now considering using a Solarforce L2P as a host and installing a red LED drop-in from Nailbender.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are correct, an incan with a red filter or a red LED is the way to go. "White" LED's are basically filtered blue LEDs so the red output is very small. I take it the classic military angle flashlight with the red filter is not bright enough? Too bad the options are limited to 2AA, but you should be able to find red LED lights that run on 2AA. Dim and deep red output is actually the best for preserving night vision. I've been able to find the markers fine during land nav though with just the 2D light with red filter. At home I use a red Surefire KL1 with an F04 beamshaper. This will run off of 1 CR123A or 2AA's (with appropriate bodies and/or spacers). Also I use an E2e with an in can lamp and the F05 filter, this also puts out a good amount of red light.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're willing to get a custom module from Nailbender, that is definitely the better option for overall output. His reputation for quality work is outstanding .

Depending on the voltage requirements of the drop-in, you might be able to run it on 2 AAs. An extender cell from Solarforce and an AA sleeve from Oveready and you have a very nice, very quiet AA flashlight powering a P60-style host.

I'm not sure which land nav course your son is taking, but don't get anything too powerful - red or not, a bright spotlight is going to carry further than he wants or needs it to.

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eagletac P20A2 MKII has a red filter available. Or you can swap modules, ranging from IR to colors to XML. Great little light.