Brinkmann Maxfire

jmw19

Newly Enlightened
Re: Brinkman Maxfire

jnj1033 said:
I've heard that the Surefire P61 will fit in a Brinkman head. Depending on how rich I feel when the Brinkman lamp dies, I may try that, although I wonder how well it will handle the heat. Has anyone else tried that combination?

Nope, but I'd think if the G2 can handle it, the Maxfire should be fine. The Brinkmann has a glass lens stock, where the G2's is plastic.
To go that route, though, I'd use the P90 LA with some RCR123s for guilt-free lumens.

Jon.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Brinkman Maxfire

The heat won't be a problem, but be aware that the P61 module will cost as much if not more than the Brinkmann did.

jnj1033 said:
I've heard that the Surefire P61 will fit in a Brinkman head. Depending on how rich I feel when the Brinkman lamp dies, I may try that, although I wonder how well it will handle the heat. Has anyone else tried that combination?

batman

Enlightened
would you be risking catastrophic battery failure if you did so?
the suck factor would be a 10.0 if that happened.

mdocod

Flashaholic
My newbie brain tells me that using 2 x 3.6V unprotected cells = 7.2V would under-drive the 9V Wolf Eyes lamp resulting in lower output? Then again, I have no idea what I'm talking about here. Can someone set me straight please?-cd-card-biz

li-ion cells ceom fresh off the charger at 4.2V each.... and are consdered "dead" at around 3V, at which point you recharge them...

li-ion cells don't suffer as much voltage sag under a load as lithium primary cells do... so 8.4V from li-ion might say to say- 7.9V, while the 9V from primaries may sag to 8.1V under the load of a typical 9V LA... after about 10 minuts runtime, the primaries will have deminished in output more than the li-ions will have.... so the li-ion might not have the inicial brightness... but a more continuas level of desired light through the run....

Sparkymarvin

Newly Enlightened
Hi Everyone,

This my very first post on CandlePowerForums. I have been reading for years, and finally just joined today.

I have had my Brinkmann Maxfire for a while now, and although it's not the most powerful or efficient light I own, I'm really attached to it.
It's the first light I've had that really got me hooked on flashlights.

I happen to have some AW RCR123A batteries, and would love to use them in the light.

I am considering using the Wolf Eyes 9V D26 lamp assembly, but am still a little nervous. Does the whole assembly fit perfectly where the Brinkmann's reflector goes? Would it require any further modification?

Also…

Has anyone successfully put a Surefire P90 reflector/bulb unit into a Brinkmann with RCR123As?
Has anyone tried a Surefire P91, or would it draw too much for the RCR123As?

Wow, that was exciting. My first post. Thanks for reading.

~Andrew

Sparkymarvin

Newly Enlightened
So I got my hands on a Wolf Eyes 9V D26 lamp assembly, but I have not figured out what modifications are needed to make it fit into my Brinkmann Maxfire.

I would greatly appreciate any advice on how to make everything fit nicely.
Thank you :)

bestcounsel

Enlightened
where did you get your Wolf Eyes 9V D26 lamp assembly....

So I got my hands on a Wolf Eyes 9V D26 lamp assembly, but I have not figured out what modifications are needed to make it fit into my Brinkmann Maxfire.

I would greatly appreciate any advice on how to make everything fit nicely.
Thank you :)

dlrflyer

Newly Enlightened
Well, pop the WE lamp in, see if it fits. You have to unscrew some retaining ring, then the reflector will pop out. Leave the retaining ring out, pop the WE LA in. If the bezel closes, then you've got it beat. Just get some RCR123 and away you go.

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like my Maxfire's rubber jacket when it wet weather, as my 6P is like a greased pig when wet! Someone needs to come up with an add-on rubber jacket for some lights!

chiphead

Sparkymarvin

Newly Enlightened
I got my 9V D26 lamp assembly from DinoDirect.
After removing the retaining ring assembly and the old reflector, there still seems to be too large of a gap between the reflector and the lens.
Perhaps I can get a super-thick O-ring to press the assembly back far enough.
I'm worried about what that would do to my beam pattern though.

Also, the D26 reflector is slightly smaller in diameter than the stock Brinkmann reflector. Is this what other people have experienced?
Is there something I'm forgetting about?

Sparkymarvin

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the encouraging words, but things don't seem to be that easy.
The D26 lamp is way to small for the Brinkmann Maxfire.
It's not just an issue of electrical continuity, but the whole D26 assembly loosely rattles around inside the head of the light.
I swear I'm not crazy.
Maybe I was sent the wrong lamp.
Perhaps I should post pictures to help clear things up.
I'm going to get to the bottom of this.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Everyone,

This my very first post on CandlePowerForums. I have been reading for years, and finally just joined today.

I have had my Brinkmann Maxfire for a while now, and although it's not the most powerful or efficient light I own, I'm really attached to it.
It's the first light I've had that really got me hooked on flashlights.

I happen to have some AW RCR123A batteries, and would love to use them in the light.

I am considering using the Wolf Eyes 9V D26 lamp assembly, but am still a little nervous. Does the whole assembly fit perfectly where the Brinkmann's reflector goes? Would it require any further modification?

Also…

Has anyone successfully put a Surefire P90 reflector/bulb unit into a Brinkmann with RCR123As?
Has anyone tried a Surefire P91, or would it draw too much for the RCR123As?

Wow, that was exciting. My first post. Thanks for reading.

~Andrew

I've used a P90 and RCRs in a maxfire once. Never tried the P91 - AW's IMR cells can handle the current, but I'm not sure how the Maxfire switch would deal with the current, and replacement switches are ... scarce.

And yeah, it kinda rattles around a little loose in there, but electrically and thermally, it works fine and worked fine for at least a half-dozen battery cycles.

I've since switched back to the stock Maxfire bulb/reflector, a Maxfire rechargeable body, and a broken and otherwise useless Surefire B65 that somehow fits perfectly (but is too short for a Surefire host after it lost a contact button). I figure that my Maxfire bulbs are less precious than P60s at the moment, and the broken parts that just happened to work together happened to work fine.

On the other hand, your P90 will work fine. You might also consider the Lumens Factory ES-9; this is a 9v bulb that's only as bright as the P60 with a similar beam profile. It's designed for people who like the P60, and want a closely matched rechargeable option.

Also, welcome to CPF and good choice on your first flashlight. An under-appreciated classic, and I'm sorry it's been pulled from stores.