Brunton Glorb LED impressions

stormtrooper77

Newly Enlightened
Just recently picked this up because I need a new camping lantern for the tent and around the table for cards, etc. Anyway, with fresh alkalines (x4) the light pattern is horrible. The lantern is also very dim. You pretty much have to be beside the lantern to use it as a reading light. You for sure will not be using this thing for walks.

I guess the good thing it has going for it is that it looks cool.

I'm going to throw some 26k's in there to see what happens.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Boy I was confused as the only Glorb I knew of was a butane lantern and I was wondering how you used batteries in that.

So I went to the Brunton site and saw the LED Glorb. You are right, it does -look- impressive. Too bad it's so dim though. I've really been dissapointed with nearly all of the LED "area lanterns" I've seen so far. They'll allow you to find your way around a house and such, but don't seem that useful for actually doing stuff. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

stormtrooper77

Newly Enlightened
I was actually thinking of buying the butane version (I should have) but it only has 2hrs of runtime and double the price plus butane. 60 watts of light though! Oh well, I'll see if I could cope with what I got.

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I upgraded mine with the Nichia LEDs. The output doubled. I would be concerned with LED output degradation over time with the 26Ks.

Paul

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting. I was under the impression from this thread that the Bruton had better LEDs than the Brookstone light. If not, it makes the Brookstone lights more attractive due to the price.

-john