Buying a new small crossover car - LED or Halogen lights

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Is that dip on the left side of the image of the Mobis wall shot there to prevent glare even if, say, the driver had two 400 pound passengers in the back seat and their luggage in the trunk?

That dish carved out of the cutoff is there specifically to avoid hitting the oncoming-vehicle glare detector during the IIHS headlamp test. It serves the same purpose as the low-on-the-left cutoff of a European headlamp, but instead of being straight all the way across to the left, it swings back up to provide longer left-side reach to the beam, to get good left-curve scores. By the time an oncoming vehicle's driver's eyes have traversed the dish carve-out, they'd have to look pretty far to the left to be bothered by the high cutoff. Same-direction drivers passing on the left might get zapped via their right side mirror, depending on the geometry.

Ls400

Enlightened
That dish carved out of the cutoff is there specifically to avoid hitting the oncoming-vehicle glare detector during the IIHS headlamp test.

Ah, another example of designing to the test. Just like how automakers prioritized good Consumer Reports subjective impressions.

Would you say that this example of designing to the test is a net positive or negative? From what I read here, the view of CR's tests is rather dim.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would you say that this example of designing to the test is a net positive or negative?

If the test is for a standards-compliant beam with objectively-good performance, the answer is clear. (This isn't the same as a VW detecting the emissions tests are in progress and adjusting the operating parameters accordingly, or a video card's drivers detecting a particular benchmark is being run, and then returns false data to the benchmarking program, for example, telling the benchmark it had performed a particular number of operations but had only done a smaller number of them. (The latter is not new-- this has been happening since the early '90s when benchmark results helped sell Windows 3.1 accelerator cards.))

Last edited:

Ls400

Enlightened
The reason I ask is that some people with time behind the wheel of the Kona report that the cutout on the left significantly reduces seeing distance from them. Now, this is the internet, and everyone online is an "engineer," but certain engineers I trust more than others :).

I was trying to tease out whether the dip on the left would be detrimental to seeing distance on the left. Even on my properly aimed lamps with no such sharp dip on the left but simply a slightly lower cutoff on the left, I notice a sometimes uncomfortable decrease in seeing distance on the left side. Again, I get that subjective impressions are one thing, and that reality is another. But could the sharp dip be detrimental to safety?

Magio

Enlightened
Ah, another example of designing to the test. Just like how automakers prioritized good Consumer Reports subjective impressions.

Would you say that this example of designing to the test is a net positive or negative? From what I read here, the view of CR's tests is rather dim.

Keep in mind that there have been vehicles with a dip in this portion of the beam since before the IIHS started testing headlights.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
I was trying to tease out whether the dip on the left would be detrimental to seeing distance on the left. Even on my properly aimed lamps with no such sharp dip on the left but simply a slightly lower cutoff on the left, I notice a sometimes uncomfortable decrease in seeing distance on the left side.

That's your cue to slow down. The discomfort is because you're going faster than you can safely stop once an obstacle becomes visible.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Keep in mind that there have been vehicles with a dip in this portion of the beam since before the IIHS started testing headlights.

That's true, but the particular shape of the dip being discussed, appeared pretty much in response to the IIHS test protocol.

callehayes

Newly Enlightened
Thank you all, still finalizing the decision, almost a go on the Kona Limited trim (with the Led lights)

Will keep you all updated

Out of curiosity, what do you all make of the IIHS headlight ratings? I find them a valuable data point, but maybe they are influenced by marketing pressures by companies on IIHS? Who knows?

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
The IIHS tests are not influenced by marketing pressures -- there is not really any channel that would allow for that. There are issues with the IIHS tests, that have been discussed on this board, such as here and here.

dave_b

Newly Enlightened
Hi all, and Virgil specifically.

I ask Virgil specifically because I recall in some previous threads you mentioning that the F-150 LED headlights are not stellar performers. I am wondering if you have any info on the new Ranger. I am strongly considering buying one, and I'm wondering if the Lariat with the LED headlamps and auto high beams is worth stepping up for, or if the standard halogen projectors on the XLT is the way to go.

I feel this is inline with the topic of this thread.

Thanks!
Dave in Calgary

Ls400

Enlightened
The IIHS tests are not influenced by marketing pressures -- there is not really any channel that would allow for that.

Are the upcoming NHTSA tests influenced by marketing pressures? Is the NHTSA a victim of regulatory capture, in your opinion?

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Are the upcoming NHTSA tests influenced by marketing pressures?

No, I don't think so...but I also don't think it's a reliable bet that they're really forthcoming; NHTSA doesn't seem to be showing any signs of moving ahead with any of the NCAP upgrades they were talking about a few years ago (headlamp tests, amber rear turn signals, crashworthiness improvements). Maybe they think it's futile to even try in this "GRR, KILL ALL THE REGULATIONS!" administration.

If NHTSA's headlamp tests do eventually become a real thing, it's going to set us up for some interesting conflicts; the NHTSA proposal favors a VOL type of low beam (along the lines of a traditional European beam) while the Consumer Reports test favors a VOR beam (more along the lines of a traditional US beam).