• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Calling all Peakaholics: Need Eiger advice!

jonesy

Enlightened
So after gleaning all I could from the multiple threads, I'm thinking of investing in an Eiger duo as a new EDC combo. I find it quite handy to have both a floody light and a thrower, and I want a light that's better built than my Quark Mini 123 neutral and much less bulky than packing my Malkoff MD2 and Zebralight H31. Plus, I'd like to own some lights that don't run on CR123's. I also want small and slim. I'm starting a new career path and can't really pack the big lights anymore, so inconspicuous is best.

So two Eigers it is, of the AAA 10440 variety. This is what I'm currently thinking:

Eiger #1:
Brass, Wide beam, neutral tint, keychain variety with checkering.

Eiger #2:
Stainless, Narrow beam, neutral tint, keychain variety with checkering.

What I could use some guidance on are the power levels. I want the brass one to have a lower power level, similar to my fenix EO1. Basically, something I can read with, check in cabinets, a small, general purpose task light. Would #2 or #3 be a better choice?

For the Stainless, I would like max lumens but still a respectable runtime before dropping, around 30 minutes or so would be ok. Ideally, this will take the place of the Malkoff in a pinch. Would #7 or #8 be a better choice?

Thanks for any help you can throw my way! The amount of options are rather overwhelming at first glance, so if you think something else would work better, feel free to recommend away.

Lumenz

Enlightened
The level you get depends on how you plan to use it. If you eyes are going to be dark adapted already and there will not be much ambient light, you can go for a #2 wide. However, if you are going to be using it right after stepping out from being in the sun, you are going to need something brighter. I think an all-around good light to use in dark place in the wide beam would be the #2 or #3 in 10440 or #4 in AAA. I have a #6 AAA in wide and it really lights up a dark room.

The #8 level is not going to last you very long. You should go for the #7 if you want maximum lumens for a decent amount of time before the light gets too hot.

I hope this helps.

Dances with Flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 for what Lumenz said.

You can't go wrong with an Eiger. It is without a doubt the most versatile and practical EMC (Every Minute Carry) light I've ever seen or heard of.

Power levels. With a wide beam there is a substantial reduction in intensity (candlepower, lux) which limits usefulness to more close-up work. You can make up for this in a lower power level light, if necessary, by using a 3.7v LiIon 10440 rather than a 1.5v alkaline or 1.2v NiMH. Consider a #2 wide Eiger with an alkaline to be roughly equivalent in perceived output to an Arc DS. Slap in a 10440 and both lumens and candlepower are about doubled, but a #4 wide may be a more practical choice for general use. If it's too bright, substitute a NiMN. Unless runtime is particularly important, I'd usually opt for a higher level. Max output? The old #8 won't disappoint. For a light about the size of a tube of ChapStick it is simply unbelievable. Well over 100 lumens with an XPG-R5. However, this performance comes at a price in terms of both heat and runtime. You can get about 30 minutes with a 10440, but by this time output will have declined by perhaps 40%. More importantly, heat build-up is very significant in so small a light. I've run mine this long without any problems I can detect. (Actually, no impact at all upon the light itself, but I worry about the little LiIon's being pushed so hard.) In ordinary applications, duration of use is typically no more than a few minutes so heat isn't really an issue. If longer uses are anticipated, a #7 would probably be a better choice.

Optics and Throw. The wide Eiger will only throw in a drug-induced dream. Both the medium and narrow Eigers are better in this regard, but you just can't expect any sort of optic in a tiny, AAA sized light to be an effective thrower. This is an immutable trade-off for tiny and inconspicuous. But throw is relative and for the uses one expects of such a small light the medium and narrow Eigers do throw adequately. I much prefer the medium optic since it appears to my eyes and for my uses to throw about as well as the narrow while at the same time producing a very, very beautiful beam.

Hope this helps.

jonesy

Enlightened
Wow, thanks to both of you for all the great advice, it's simply invaluable. I love the styling of the lights, the build quality, and the huge amount of options, but having never seen a peak, it's harder to decide what I really want. In a way, I feel more invested in these lights just because of the amount of digging one needs to do to find out about them.

Looks like I'll be going with the #2 on the wide, and the #8 on the narrow.

Thanks for all the help!

jonesy

Enlightened
Went and ordered them both this morning, but ended up getting both in brass, as the stainless is not available. I'm pretty excited to get these new EDC lights!

Is any special care needed for the brass? And what's the usual turnaround time to get them? :party:

carrot

Flashaholic
No special care for brass, but if you want them to look their shiniest, a bit of Brasso metal polish and an old rag will do nicely.

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
+1 for what Lumenz said.

You can't go wrong with an Eiger. It is without a doubt the most versatile and practical EMC (Every Minute Carry) light I've ever seen or heard of.

Power levels. With a wide beam there is a substantial reduction in intensity (candlepower, lux) which limits usefulness to more close-up work. You can make up for this in a lower power level light, if necessary, by using a 3.7v LiIon 10440 rather than a 1.5v alkaline or 1.2v NiMH. Consider a #2 wide Eiger with an alkaline to be roughly equivalent in perceived output to an Arc DS. Slap in a 10440 and both lumens and candlepower are about doubled, but a #4 wide may be a more practical choice for general use. If it's too bright, substitute a NiMN. Unless runtime is particularly important, I'd usually opt for a higher level. Max output? The old #8 won't disappoint. For a light about the size of a tube of ChapStick it is simply unbelievable. Well over 100 lumens with an XPG-R5. However, this performance comes at a price in terms of both heat and runtime. You can get about 30 minutes with a 10440, but by this time output will have declined by perhaps 40%. More importantly, heat build-up is very significant in so small a light. I've run mine this long without any problems I can detect. (Actually, no impact at all upon the light itself, but I worry about the little LiIon's being pushed so hard.) In ordinary applications, duration of use is typically no more than a few minutes so heat isn't really an issue. If longer uses are anticipated, a #7 would probably be a better choice.

Optics and Throw. The wide Eiger will only throw in a drug-induced dream. Both the medium and narrow Eigers are better in this regard, but you just can't expect any sort of optic in a tiny, AAA sized light to be an effective thrower. This is an immutable trade-off for tiny and inconspicuous. But throw is relative and for the uses one expects of such a small light the medium and narrow Eigers do throw adequately. I much prefer the medium optic since it appears to my eyes and for my uses to throw about as well as the narrow while at the same time producing a very, very beautiful beam.

Hope this helps.

Dances knows his Peaks!!!!
You will likely have to wait a while- so be patient- they are building it up an potting it just for you! I think you will be pleased.

Darvis

Enlightened
+2 On all of the advice above.

I have 2 eigers, about to have 3 more actually. I have a 10440 with a #6 medium cool that provides a very very usable amount of light for a very decent amount of runtime (~60 mins on a eneloop AAA)

That said, I also have a 10180 with a #1 head, medium cool, that is JUST as usable as the #6 (all things considered) especially in a pitch black environment.

With that said, I actually ordered my next 3 10440's with the #1 medium cool because I want the extra runtime that would come with the lower power, I think the trade off in brightness is not all that much in my experience with the lights.

I also agree that the medium beam is absolutely wonderful, it's very much like a mini Malkoff M60F if you've ever seen one. It's a diffused lens, so the spread is very even with no hotspot at all, just good, bright light from the whole beam, end to end. even the #1 beam lights a small bedroom if bounced, and certainly lights up a corner if pointed in that direction. The #6 is extremely bright, especially with the 3.7v 10180 when I use it there.

I have no experience with the higer powered #8 or the wider, or narrower beams, but will say that the medium beam is MUCH better than my Lummi Wee flood, which I think would be comparable to the Eiger wide beam.

I think your choices look solid and the best part is, you can mix and match this light any way you want.

Hope this helped!

jonesy

Enlightened
Thanks to all who gave out all that great advice! lovecpf

What's the usual turnaround time to get the lights? Am I looking at 2 weeks, 4 weeks? Any kind of ballpark figure would be nice so I'm obsessively checking the mail every day.

Lumenz

Enlightened
What's the usual turnaround time to get the lights? Am I looking at 2 weeks, 4 weeks? Any kind of ballpark figure would be nice so I'm obsessively checking the mail every day.

I can give you an answer with one caveat: I ordered my Peaks last year (in the summer) so the times may not be the same.

I ordered two Peak lights on different months last year and they were both shipped 8 days after I ordered them. They were then shipped via USPS. I hope this gives you a general idea of how long it will take.

bedazzLED

Enlightened
I've got 6 Peak torches at the moment, 2 x 10180, 2 x 10280 and 2 x 10440.
All are medium beam. I have 1 of each at L4 power and 1 of each at L8 power.

Love the L4 power ones as the runtime is great.

L8 power ones are fantastic, for the short time they actually stay bright. The 10180 runs for all of 5 minutes if I'm lucky but the L4 seems to last for ages.

I only wish I could order more Peak gems. I would love to get the Rainier and the Logan ones, but unfortunately they're not listed on the Peak home page, and their reseller (http://www.em-mgt.com/LED/Logan.html) does not ship to Australia (BIG BUMMER!).