...campsite flood

WrecklessDerek

Newly Enlightened
Hope you can help!

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

_X_This will be mail-order or Online (location doesn't matter).

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

_X_Up to $200.

3) Format:

_X_I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).
_X_I want a lantern/area light.
_X_I want a portable spotlight (it may have an external power source).

4) Size:

_X_LARGE - Big enough to need its own travel case.

5) Emitter/Light source:

_X_I don't know.

6) Manufacturer:

_X_I would like a light from a specialty manufacturer (Possibly limited run/Custom).

7) What power source do you want to use?

_X_I intend to use "Primary"/Disposable Alkaline batteries based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D sized cells common to most stores.
_X_I intend to use "Primary"/Disposable Lithium batteries based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D and CR123 sized cells common to most stores (often a cold weather or long storage choice).

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).

_X_I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).

_X_SPECIAL NOTE: Burst/Turbo mode Category - There are several lights that will run at a super bright maximum for a very limited period (usually 5-10 minutes) and then will "step-down" to a lower level for thermal control. Check here if this is acceptable.

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.

_X_Wide Flood: I want a defined flood area for semi-close tasks like after-dark campsite tasks or working on a car.
_X_Narrow Flood: I want a sharply defined flood area that will project some distance for tasks like trail walking.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)

_X_5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
_X_30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).

_X_30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)
_X_90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

_X_Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):

_X_I want a forward clicky (Helpful for momentary activation and signaling).
_X_I want a reverse clicky (For use with multi-mode/level lights).

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

_X_A simple on-off with only one output level is fine for me.
_X_I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
_X_I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)

14)Material/Finish/Coating

_X_I don't care.

15) Water resistance

_X_IPX4 (Splash resistant)

16) Storage conditions

_X_Emergency kit (long standby periods)
_X_Automobile glove-box (wide temperature swings, long standby periods, critical reliability)

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any/all below.

_X_n/a

Last edited:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Plenty of lights that tick your box,s.Suggest a visit to Maplins and the camping/walking stores all carry decent kit.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't get it, are you looking for portable, fixed lighting that you can set up at your campsite? Or a lantern? Or a handheld that maybe has a lantern diffuser on it?

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
These checklists still aren't great for narrowing the field much - how about more verbal narrative on intended use. Also on the "lithium primary" point, if you could specify AA (L91) vs CR123, it can instantly cut the potential field in half.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
These checklists still aren't great for narrowing the field much - how about more verbal narrative on intended use. Also on the "lithium primary" point, if you could specify AA (L91) vs CR123, it can instantly cut the potential field in half.

If the users of the check list used a bit of common in the first place and used the search button more they would have a better idea, basically they want the rest of us to recommend a light and then they buy something else instead.:shakehead

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, two thing I have used recently that worked well in a campsite setting are.

Sunwayman D40A: Review Here I mention using a cup as a diffuser and later (post#9) I bought a clear diffuser to use and it works VERY well.

Energizer flat panel lantern: Review Here This one is an all-flood light and it's a touch on the fragile side so you have to use a bit of care with it, but the light from this thing is AMAZIING for use as a basecamp streetlight.

WrecklessDerek

Newly Enlightened
cland72 said:
I don't get it, are you looking for portable, fixed lighting that you can set up at your campsite? Or a lantern? Or a handheld that maybe has a lantern diffuser on it?

Anyone of those that would suit the purpose is fine. I'd rather have a giant flashlight but form should follow function and I wouldn't be disappointed with a lantern or a diffuser, if that worked best.

Okay, two thing I have used recently that worked well in a campsite setting are.

Sunwayman D40A: Review Here I mention using a cup as a diffuser and later (post#9) I bought a clear diffuser to use and it works VERY well.

Energizer flat panel lantern: Review Here This one is an all-flood light and it's a touch on the fragile side so you have to use a bit of care with it, but the light from this thing is AMAZIING for use as a basecamp streetlight.

Thanks, zespectre!

reppans said:
Also on the "lithium primary" point, if you could specify AA (L91) vs CR123, it can instantly cut the potential field in half.

I would say that the overriding concern with the batteries would be ease of availability. Other than that, I'm flexible.

a bit of common

I would like to avail myself of others' expertise, you've got me there. This is a discussion board, afterall. Perhaps I can recommend a grammar forum for you to check out and see if anyone there is courteous enough to help you with your problem.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast

Anyone of those that would suit the purpose is fine. I'd rather have a giant flashlight but form should follow function and I wouldn't be disappointed with a lantern or a diffuser, if that worked best.

Thanks, zespectre!

I would say that the overriding concern with the batteries would be ease of availability. Other than that, I'm flexible.

I would like to avail myself of others' expertise, you've got me there. This is a discussion board, afterall. Perhaps I can recommend a grammar forum for you to check out and see if anyone there is courteous enough to help you with your problem.

Thanks very much for your kind offer i really appreciate it.:devil: As i am in Germany at the moment and you are in the UK can you recommend a toy shop that sells children's prams as i have lost track of where to go and xmas is near,thanks in advance.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'd suggest an AA powered light, since CR123s can be hard to come by at a reasonable price in the retail world. Maybe a Fenix LD41 with a detachable diffuser?

Now, if you're willing to plan ahead and stock plenty of CR123's, you could get any number of Surefire or Solarforce 2x123/1x18650 options and add a Solarforce L2-DW diffuser wand.

Of course, you could just get a lantern that runs on AA or D batteries. I've heard good things about the Streamlight Seige.

dss_777

Enlightened
I'm confused, too. I can't imagine a camping scenario where one light would be sufficient for all you ask. I'd suggest get 2-3 300 lumen lanterns for area lighting, a headlight or two for hands-free tasks (cooking, walking around), and a nice hand-held spotter for seeing specific things in the distance (and playing lightsaber games on foggy nights).

Plus, it's do-able on your budget with a little research. For now, there are good options for regular alkaline batteries, or rechargeables if you're so inclined. I can't help with where to get them, since you're on the wrong side of the Atlantic. Look at local suppliers and/or Amazon.

It's definitely worthwhile to look at other recommendations in this sub-forum for specifics.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Really, a good narrative of what, you want the light to do for you, would be more helpful.
Is it a one tent campsite, or a dozen tents, and you want to light the central area so that scouts can play basketball?

OR do you want to light a sheltered area that has four picnic tables under it? Will it be for illumination while cooking for 40 people at night? OR for 6 people to sit and play cards?

dss_777

Enlightened
Really, a good narrative of what, you want the light to do for you, would be more helpful.

I think this should be at the very top of the "Recommend me a light" checklist.

In bold.

In size 48 font.

It would really help us spend other people's money so much more efficiently. ;)

WrecklessDerek

Newly Enlightened
can you recommend a toy shop that sells children's prams

When I throw my dummy, my mummy and daddy always find a nearby Toys 'R' Us or a... HEY, WAITAMINUTE

I'm taking all the advice given here into consideration. I didn't mean to throw the place into an uproar! I'm just trying to learn a thing or two here...

http://www.aeonmagazine.com/world-views/anyone-can-learn-to-be-a-polymath/

Anyway, I'm just gearing up for camping in the North Wales area (seriously - Snowdonia) among other places: I've got headlamps for the obvious purposes but I wanted something for after I've gone to sleep and don't want to scratch around for the headlamps -- something for if I hear "something" that I want to check out or if I have to do the thing that I usually get up for in the "wee" hours -- therefore, using a "thrower" (did I say that right?) to scan relatively smaller areas at a time wouldn't help as much as something that would enable me to take in the big picture all at once. I mean, that's not the only workout the proposed light will get and I kind-of just want to have a flood-type light on hand.

I realize that this may not necessitate a flashlight the size of a sasquatch's arm but I've gone mad with a Promethean lust for power. There, I've said it.

Poppy said:
It comes in its own travel case.

This person is totally on my wavelength.

dss_777

Enlightened
When I throw my dummy, my mummy and daddy always find a nearby Toys 'R' Us or a... HEY, WAITAMINUTE

I'm taking all the advice given here into consideration. I didn't mean to throw the place into an uproar! I'm just trying to learn a thing or two here...

Anyway, I'm just gearing up for camping in the North Wales area (seriously - Snowdonia) among other places: I've got headlamps for the obvious purposes but I wanted something for after I've gone to sleep and don't want to scratch around for the headlamps -- something for if I hear "something" that I want to check out or if I have to do the thing that I usually get up for in the "wee" hours -- therefore, using a "thrower" (did I say that right?) to scan relatively smaller areas at a time wouldn't help as much as something that would enable me to take in the big picture all at once. I mean, that's not the only workout the proposed light will get and I kind-of just want to have a flood-type light on hand.

I realize that this may not necessitate a flashlight the size of a sasquatch's arm but I've gone mad with a Promethean lust for power. There, I've said it.

Lights have come so far in the last few years that any decent light will work very well for that. But to really impress your friends and get the girl, you'll need a Foursevens Maelstrom XM18. Can see into the next county with it, but you might have to up your budget a bit.

Really, you could pick something in the middle of the catalog from the usually recommended companies and most likely will be very happy. Pick the batteries you're willing to fiddle with, and enjoy your trip. For a first light, I'd get something that uses off the shelf alkalines or lithium primaries, use it and upgrade once you know more what you like/want/know will get the girl.

Read this sub-forum front-to-back to satisfy that polymath urge. Just don't be this guy:

Far-Side-gifted-school.jpeg

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you are nipping out in the wee hours you could do worse than investing in a small Fenix 05.It is a cracking little AAA light which is ideal to be worn on a neck lanyard.

Check out the climbing/walking/hiking stores whilst in North Wales as this time of year they have sales on and they sell some nice Led lights in many stores.

Last edited:

WrecklessDerek

Newly Enlightened
If you are nipping out in the wee hours you could do worse than investing in a small Fenix 05.It is a cracking little AAA light which is ideal to be worn on a neck lanyard.

Check out the climbing/walking/hiking stores whilst in North Wales as this time of year they have sales on and they sell some nice Led lights in many stores.

Great, thanks for the tip! I'm really looking forward to visiting, it looks beautiful in the photos I've seen.