Can Cree XP-G's change tint over time?

Dole

Newly Enlightened
I was more referring to the Muyshondt lights, sorry for being foggy... But you're right, the RA lights are more affordable than I thought. I like them.

Dole

Newly Enlightened
For the past month, I've been using a Dereelight Javelin 3-mode on high for short periods and the tint has been a yellow-green. Today I happened to run it on high for about 45 minutes and it got fairly warm but not too hot to handle. The tint has permanently changed to blue-white.

That's really interesting... and lucky for you if you prefer the blue-white over yellow-green.

Wonder if lumen outputs change also? Or if it is negligible.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got mine to change over a small amount of time... I cleaned the contacts of my quark mini aa with a spray contact cleaner, and after using a li-ion, the tint started to change... currently it is a yellow-green. I pretty much destroyed the light, so now its just a toy. might pull it apart and see how it ticks

Looks like 4Sevens made the right choice when he said that li-ions would not be supported in these lights. Was it aluminum or titanium btw?

Cadster

Newly Enlightened
That's really interesting... and lucky for you if you prefer the blue-white over yellow-green.

Wonder if lumen outputs change also? Or if it is negligible.
I preferred the original yellow-green over the current blue-white. It seemed to have better color rendition. Using the highly scientific ceiling bounce test, it's also clear that the output has decreased.

copperfox

Enlightened
Is it possible for an xp-g to become less green over time? I have a 4Seven Preon that seemed greenish when it was new, but after running it on high for a while, it seems less green than it used to, even when compared against the same lights that I originally did. I can't tell if it's my imagination or not.

Ace12

Enlightened
So are you guys saying that if I buy the New EagleTac with the XP-G pushing 300 Lument OTF, It will eventually change color?

fisk-king

Flashlight Enthusiast
Exactly. Ra/HDS and Muyshondt lights will last you a LONG time. These manufacturers have a deep understanding of the issues involved in making a long term dependable light.

I agree totally 100% :thumbsup:

Yes, but the people who are willing to spend $300 on a flashlight that does 120 lumens are not the type of people that want to buy ONE reliable flashlight and stick with it forever with no worries. I think the market for these lights are for flashaholics strictly.

I resemble that remark. :)

MKLight

Enlightened
Is it possible for an xp-g to become less green over time? I have a 4Seven Preon that seemed greenish when it was new, but after running it on high for a while, it seems less green than it used to, even when compared against the same lights that I originally did. I can't tell if it's my imagination or not.

I noticed the same thing with my Muyshondt Aeon. It's a XRE R2 and it's tint was an ugly green. It now has changed to a warmer, but slightly bluer tint. I'm wondering what it will be next...

Sparky's Magic

Enlightened
My experience has been exactly the opposite. A Dereelight P60, XP-G R5 ex. China was initially a hideous lime color. Of course, I contacted Allan(Dereelight) and his advise was give it a few cycles and chances were that it would burn-in to a more acceptable tint...so, I did and after a few full cycles it changed to a quite attractive golden hue and has remained there; (I use this 3SM, S/F a lot); There is a suggestion of green on low and also on med. if I run the cell down (17670) but on a freshly charged cell this drop-in is an unusual golden tint and quite acceptable.

The color shift was dramatic!:thumbsup: