can i use lake water to cook?

markr6

Flashaholic
Cool. Yeah I haven't used it since that trip. Do you have to worry about having it out in the cold temporarily to filter water as well? For example, if I fill up a water reservoir and wanted to keep the filter inline with the hose so I can just drink out of it, is it a bad idea to do that on cold days? I assume that is a bad idea. Maybe I'll stick to using it on warmer days instead and when it's cold just bring all my own water or filter it into the reservoir so it is only out in the cold for short periods of time.

You need to worry about anytime I can freeze. You can filter 33° water just fine, but lets say it's 25° out...it will eventually freeze.

I'll still use it right now, for example, where it's 45-50 during the day and 25-35 at night. I'll sleep with it to be safe. Any colder and there's usually snow to melt or water sources are frozen anyway.

Last edited:

joelbnyc

Enlightened
There are gravity filters like the lifestraw family 1.0, $60 on Amazon (looks like Sawyer has one for $90 too). I just had it around as part of some mini preps for the 9.0+ Cascadian Subduction quake, when I lived in Pacific NW, so never actually used it, but many do for camping. Pumps are prob quicker, but require work. You could look at Berkey filters, many gov and non gov groups working overseas use them where there is no access to clean water. Pretty sure they make some sort of mini Berkey.

Last edited:

BMikhail

Newly Enlightened
i use a scooter to get to campsite so i have limtewd space if i boil it is lake water safe to cook with? like for cup a noodles or mac n cheese

You can use filter and boiling this water, but I think better way will be search (or ask some one) for clear water source (rill).

Poppy

Flashaholic
thank u both if i recall right i have a water filter it will be from lake lanier in north ga
This article seems to say that Lake Lanier is more polluted in some spots than in others. Mainly from chicken e coli but also from road/rain run-off pollutants.

Boiling will kill the e coli, but I don't know which would evaporate off first, the water, or oily petrochemicals.