Zones4
Wiring SpecificationsWire type2,5mm2
Wire Strip Length5mm

Lithopsian

Newly Enlightened
I want to temporarily run SMD 5050 strips with an LTech R4-CC driver

TIA
Mike

Are you asking if this is possible? Yes, just barely, in some very specific circumstances. Are you asking if this is practical? No, it isn't, unless your strips have exactly the right length, are not RGB, and you have a high tolerance for risk.

Let's keep it short. This is the wrong driver and it will end in tears :)

MikeLynch

Newly Enlightened
What do you mean "end in tears", I'm just starting and I'm already crying. I bought 4 R4-CC for use with high power stars. I'm building an aquarium hood and the R4-CC's are perfect for the stars. My plan (ill-conceived) was to use these drivers to run SMD strips until the new hood is built.

Looks like I'll need a couple of these

Can I run 4 6' lengths of RGBW 5050 on each driver?

http://www.ltechonline.com/html/en/...s-LED-Controller/Wireless-Receiver/R4-5A.html

Working Frequency
2.4GHz
R4-5A-Thumb.jpg
Input voltage DC5V~DC24V
Max current load 5A x4CH Max 20A
Max output power 100W/240W/480W(5V/12V/24V)
Remote Distance 50m (line of sight)
Working temperature -30℃~55℃
Dimensions L175×W44×H30mm
Package size L178×W48×H33mm
Weight (G.W.) 150g

Thanks

ssanasisredna

Enlightened
I want to temporarily run SMD 5050 strips with an LTech R4-CC driver

TIA
Mike

http://ltech-led.eu/en/wireless/1203-led-receiver-r4-cc.html

Input Characteristics
Input Voltage DC12 ~ 48V
Output CharacteristicsLED Output Current (max per output)350mA, 700mA, 1050mA
LED Output Voltage3-46V
LED Outputs4
Maximum power193.2W
Control CharacteristicsOutputPWM-CC
Dimming ProtocolRF, Manual
Control Channels4
Zones4
Wiring SpecificationsWire type2,5mm2
Wire Strip Length5mm

As long as the amount of strip would typically draw same or more current than no issues.

MikeLynch

Newly Enlightened
As long as the amount of strip would typically draw same or more current than no issues.

I'm not good at this but it makes sense that if the draws were equal then it should work. Since they say constant current at 350mA,700mA and 1050mA, that denotes that this controller can be set at three levels because if it set itself it would be variable?

How much would 24' of RGBW SMD 5050 draw?

Thanks

Lithopsian

Newly Enlightened
SMD strips are ''explicitly'' constant voltage devices. They actually consist of multiple parallel circuits of 3 SMDs, each including a current-limiting device (usually just a resister, but occasionally a transistor). That's why you can cut the strip to any length you want. The current drawn by each circuit of 3 SMDs is nominally 20mA in this case, although it can vary considerably with small variations from the designed 12V input. Variations of more than a volt or so cause significant brightness changes.

In theory you could choose a strip of 54 SMDs and drive it from a fixed 350mA, if you happen to need that length. If you try to drive a shorter or longer strip then it will be dimmer or brighter. That driver will attempt to spread 350mA between however few or many LEDs you connect it to, so any length too different from 54 will be too dim or dangerously overdriven. You may be able to drive four similar strips from the four separate driver outputs. You should even be able to drive more than one strip of 54 SMDs from a single output subject to the total load on the driver. White 5050 SMDs are inherently quite hot and even a small extra current will be harmful, but you could try it if you have strip you can afford to burn out.

If the strip was actually a (quite rare) current-limited design with little ICs on it then I can't imagine what would happen. Most likely either the driver or the ICs would go out of range unless you were very careful. I'm just guessing.

ssanasisredna

Enlightened

Just saw you are using RGB strips. If you are planning to use a controller, then you cannot use a CC driver. If you are not using a controller and just using full power, then no issues as long as the strip is long enough to match the current output of the driver. I don't know your strip so I cannot tell you how long that is. A dim strip is not the end of the world and you did say temporarily.

MikeLynch

Newly Enlightened
Thank you gentlemen, I don't want to chance it because these drivers are expensive. So I'm going to buy (2) LTech R4-5A drivers. Can each driver carry 24 linear foot of RGBW SMD 5050 strips?

Here is the R4-5A specs

Input Characteristics
Input Voltage DC5 ~ 24V
Output CharacteristicsOutput Current Max20A
LED Output Current (max per output)5A
Output power100W @ 5V, 240W @ 12V, 480W @ 24V
LED Outputs4
Control CharacteristicsOutputPWM-CV
Dimming ProtocolRF
EnvironmentalIP ClassificationIP44
Operating Temperature-30~+55 °C
Weight & DimensionsW x H x D (cm)4.40 x 0.00 x 17.50

And here's the strip specs

LED Type: 5050 RGBW SMD LED
Quantity: 300 leds / 5 Meter or 60 leds / Meter
View angle: 120 °
PCB Width : 10mm
Working Input Voltage: DC12V
Emitted colors: RGBW(RGB+White)/RGBWW(RGB+warm white)
Working Temperature: -20 ° ~ 60 °
Power : Max 60W
IP grade:non-waterproof IP20/Waterproof IP65/Tube waterproof IP67
Long life:> 100,000 hours

Thanks

Lithopsian

Newly Enlightened
Quite a few things here, some of which may already be obvious to you. Answering your basic questions might come last.

The R4-5A is not so much a driver as a controller. It takes an existing low voltage supply and conveniently provides four outputs which can be used for RGBW strips and controlled to produce PWM dimming or colour change effects. It is typically used in groups with a remote and master controller, essentially as an amplifier for running more strips than can be handled by a single master controller. You may have all that and intend to use all those functions, but if this is new to you it is worth stressing that the R4-5A unit doesn't convert mains AC into 12V DC which is typically what an "LED driver" does.

So you probably don't have 24' RGB strips. They almost always come on 5m (or shorter) reels which is slightly over 16'. You can join them obviously, but please don't. It will lead to voltage drop and overheating when the load of more than one reel is passed through the end of a single strip. So plan on using 16' or less pieces of strip, with individual wiring for each back to your driver/controller.

The specs for your strip say 60W per reel, which is 5 amps. This is slightly less than the nominal spec for these strips which is often quoted as 6 amps, but 5 amps is a more realistic value for actual use. That is the total across all four colours though. Your controller appears capable of passing 5A on each of its four outputs which would in theory mean you could drive 4 reels from one controller. I haven't used it, so you should check with someone else. Certainly it would be able to drive one 16' section, provided you have an existing 12V DC supply for it.

Does that all make sense? Hopefully someone with more experience of RGBW strips will also comment.

MikeLynch

Newly Enlightened
Very good coherent answer and I appreciate it. Yes I do understand the basics of what the R4-5A is as well as the R4-CC. Since the costs of strips are low and the aquarium I'm lighting is only six foot I will only use the ends of the 5M reels, in other words (2) reels will give me (4) 6' lengths, one controller for white daylights and one controller for nighttime RGBW. I'm only using the ends because I hate soldering the plug ends on strips and they already come with a plug on each end, it's hard enough soldering on high power LED's but I find it extremely difficult to solder ends on inexpensive strips.

The strips are temporary because my final setup will be with High power LED's and (4) R4-CC's to carry the necessary power needs, I've already bought everything for the final setup including high dollar heat sinks.

I'm just proceeding slow due to fear of messing up :laughing:

Thanks again

Last edited:

Latest posts