Can you see laser beam/dot through laser glasses?

DoubleA

Newly Enlightened
I don't have a laser yet, but have been looking into what to get.
I keep hearing about how important it is to have laser glasses. I've heard that even looking at the dot will hurt your vision if you don't have protection. Then I saw a video where laser glasses were being tested by shining a laser directly into them to see what emerges beyond the glasses. If no dot appeared beyond the glasses, they were deemed to be good. But doesn't that mean that if you were wearing them, the beam and dot would become invisible to you? What fun would that be?

DoubleA

Newly Enlightened
Well, it's been a few days since I posted this thread. 88 views and no replies? Doesn't anyone here actually use safety glasses? I'm sure anyone who uses a laser with safety glasses would know the answer to my question. Is the laser beam and dot visible when you're wearing laser safety glasses?

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can still see the dot itself on a surface, seeing the beam in air, not so much. If you were to shine the laser directly in your eye (with the glasses on of course) you'll see the surface brightness of the emitter and it will still be very very bright (not recommended!) Prolonged exposure will still cause harm however.

DoubleA

Newly Enlightened
You can still see the dot itself on a surface, seeing the beam in air, not so much. If you were to shine the laser directly in your eye (with the glasses on of course) you'll see the surface brightness of the emitter and it will still be very very bright (not recommended!) Prolonged exposure will still cause harm however.

Thank you! It's something I became curious about lately. If I end up getting a laser someday, I'll definately get the glasses too, assuming they don't cost too much. I mainly wanted to get it to scare away nuisance birds near my house, but started thinking that seeing where the dot strikes leaves and branches on the trees could hurt my eyes.

DoubleA

Newly Enlightened
I think you'll find that a laser isn't as effective as you'd like as a bird deterrent.

What if it was a 1 watt? I was thinking of going to that to make sure it had enough power. Plus it would be fun for other things.

DoubleA

Newly Enlightened
Laser glasses come in different "darknesses (OD)," I guess you could say. Not all of them rated for a certain wavelength are suitable for all lasers of that wavelength as they have different power.

http://noirlaser.com/lasershields?wavelength_type=310

Man! Those are some pretty steep prices! Aren't laser safety glasses pretty much the same thing as sunglasses, except they filter out a different wavelength of light? I can buy sunglasses that cost $5-$10 and work fine for their purpose. Why laser glasses cost so much more just because they're a different color for a specific purpose is beyond me! Is there more to them than that?

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you'll find that a laser isn't as effective as you'd like as a bird deterrent.
I agree with Fritz, wrong tool for the job.

Perhaps a Gamo Viper Express Air Shotgun? You could mount your laser on it, even. Besides, those are a lot of fun popping balloons at long range.

Man! Those are some pretty steep prices!
Cheaper than new eyes.

Aren't laser safety glasses pretty much the same thing as sunglasses, except they filter out a different wavelength of light?
No sir, they are quite different.

I can buy sunglasses that cost $5-$10 and work fine for their purpose. Why laser glasses cost so much more just because they're a different color for a specific purpose is beyond me! Is there more to them than that?
A lot to it. There is a lot of testing. They must function as advertised as they are safety gear. NoIR would be roasted alive by lawyers if their product did not meet specs.

A lot of sunglasses really aren't even that good for blocking UV, which is what they're supposed to do. Sunglasses aren't enough for working with HID, for example. Sunglasses as laser protection = bad idea.

Last edited:

DoubleA

Newly Enlightened
I agree with Fritz, wrong tool for the job.

Perhaps a Gamo Viper Express Air Shotgun? You could mount your laser on it, even. Besides, those are a lot of fun popping balloons at long range.

Currently, I use a Ruger 10/22 with subsonics. Can't seem to find those or anything else anymore. But I've been thinking of a laser as a way of silently dealing with them. Probably legally too. :)

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
But I've been thinking of a laser as a way of silently dealing with them. Probably legally too. :)
I wouldn't want the Humane Society to get hold of you. Speaking of that, why not adopt 8-15 cats? Problem solved.

A 1 watt laser isn't going to make birds go up in a puff of smoke, you know. That's sci-fi.

Last edited:

DoubleA

Newly Enlightened
I wouldn't want the Humane Society to get hold of you. Speaking of that, why not adopt 8-15 cats? Problem solved.

I wouldn't want ANY of the authorities to get ahold of me, but that's part of the reason to use something silent instead of something that goes "bang". BTW, the cats wouldn't be able to do anything against the birds up in trees making the noise, or the woodpeckers putting holes in the side of my garage.

A 1 watt laser isn't going to make birds go up in a puff of smoke, you know. That's sci-fi.

Maybe not, but at least it would be visible in daylight. That's when the birds are active.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
You don't want to mess with a 1 watt as an anti-bird device.
Imagine if you inadvertently shined past your target and hit an unseen aircraft, person, etc, and at 1 watt, dry leaves can ignite. Just generally not a good idea.

As far as the glasses go....
Laser safety glasses are very specifically tuned to protect (as much as they can) at the freqs they were intended for... In doing this, they absorb the laser light, in a reflected/refracted situation, this will/should provide adequate protection however, I know from testing a direct beam can and will actually burn thru them, quite easily I might add, due to the very fact that they are absorbing that power. If they are not rated for specific freqs of the laser you're using, damage can readily occur, often without the user even noticing until it's too late. Some glasses may protect the eyes from the 532nm green beam but pass the 880nm IR with ease and THAT will mess your eyes up in a hurry. Even reflected off a white surface that beam can cause damage without proper protection.
Just generally not a good idea to mess with those high power lasers without proper protection and training.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some of those air rifles are almost as loud as a Subsonic. Once a projectile breaks about 1200fps it is going to make a good crack. Not to mention the air charge being released.

Of course you can muffle it some. However I suggest checking your local laws for that.

I would also advise against playing laser tag with the local bird population.

What are they attracted to on your property? Can that be removed?
Can you talk a neighbor a few houses down to start feeding them. That could attract them away from your property.
Buy some plastic owls and place them in the high activity areas. Obviously a few cats would assist too.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mock owls and cats are very effective, as are "bird clackers/noise makers", etc. They're plenty of passive, cheap anti bird options available. Just Google the bird type and like for their deterrent.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fritz,
I've got one of the plastic owls mounted on a pole close to my work shop. When I was installing the Sheetrock I kept hearing this slight banging noise. Looked outside to see a woodpecker banging away on the plastic owl.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fritz,
I've got one of the plastic owls mounted on a pole close to my work shop. When I was installing the Sheetrock I kept hearing this slight banging noise. Looked outside to see a woodpecker banging away on the plastic owl.
Lol! Anyway, you have to move the decoys occasionally or the birds adapt to their presence. It's why lighting is ineffective. Decoys only work if you go move them occasionally.