Canon 450D

gallagho

Enlightened
Hiya,

Anybody have the Canon 450D? Would they recommend it?

It's for myself as a hobbyist camera Re beamshots :) I'm not planning on using it for work.

Thanks,

Owen

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
There's a good review here:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0801/08012403canoneos450d.asp

My only gripe is that it uses a rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery. If you're out in the boonies, far from an AC source, this could be an issue. I prefer cameras working with 4 AA cells. That way, I can carry spares. Also, you're not faced with replacing an expensive odd-size battery in the future. YMMV.

Otherwise, it looks like an excellent camera!

Glasstream15

Newly Enlightened
First off, the battery is good for 300+ shots with flash. And most of us that use DSLRs carry at least one spare battery. I have a 350D (also known in the USA as the XT) with external grip which can use 1 or 2 lithiums or 6XAAs. And grips are available for all the Rebel series Canons.

Second, it is a fabulous camera. But if all you want is beam shots, it's using thermonuclear weapons to swat flies. That is a very serious, semi-pro level or advanced amateur level camera. And once you get into the DSLR range, well, say goodbye to your wallet. Lenses, filters, exernal flash, tripods, and then upgraditis to a 40D or maybe even a 5D or something in the 1D series.

As I said, I have a 350D, 2 updates earlier, a K2 35mm film SLR, and an S5IS compact. 3 lenses to fit the 350D, 2 for the K2 that also fit the 350D, 430EX flash, Pelican case, lots of filters and other accesories. And all I wanted to do was take vacation pictures.

Just remember that SLRs are VERY addictive.

JMNSHO &, of course, YMMV

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just remember that SLRs are VERY addictive.

JMNSHO &, of course, YMMV
now you tell me :shakehead

i started with a eos300 with a 28-80 and a 75-300
then got a 350d
now ive got a 1dmk2n, 24-70 and 70-200 f2.8 lenses 4 bags, monopods, tripods, 40d as a spare camera etc (nearly 10 grands worth of gear :oops:)

gallagho - the 450d will be a very capable camera, although a 1000d will work for what you want too, and is a little cheaper
try lurking at http://photography-on-the.net/forum/ the canon digital photography forum - but its a little like this place - hold onto your wallet

PhotonBoy
There is a grip available for the 450d and it will allow the use of 2x lions or 6x AA batts (any type) the grip doesnt add much weight and makes the camera balance better with the bigger lenses, it also gives your little finger something to grab and a grip and shutter button for "portrait" orentation shots.
i dont get why people still want AA powered digital cameras, there isnt many places where you wont have access to a powerpoint to charge your batterys, and most cameras will take 300+ shots on a charged battery

Glasstream15

Newly Enlightened
i dont get why people still want AA powered digital cameras, there isnt many places where you wont have access to a powerpoint to charge your batterys, and most cameras will take 300+ shots on a charged battery

For one thing, way to many people leave home with half charged or nearly dead batteries. And then figure they can use alkalines for whatever they need. But most digital cameras, even small P&S, will devour alkalines an not perform up to specs either. Old habits.

They just don't think about carrying spares or making sure they have a fully charged battery in the camera. And an advantage of LiIons is their very slow self discharge. So you can just about always know you have a usable battery in the camera, even after a month of not using it. Now, with Eneloops, you can have confidence in AAs, but again, most people won't spend a premium for lower mAh rated batteries not realizing that the "lower rated" batteries will actually perform better in the long run.

And AAs are familiar. Li-Ion packs are not.

da.gee

Enlightened
The Canon 30D is in the same price range as the 450D (XSi in the US). It is a bit beefier and has some advantages over the 450D. 5fps vs 3.5fps, 3200 ISO vs 1600 ISO. In the US both bodies are selling for about USD$700. Ritz/Wolf Cameras is the US retailer who has these 30Ds at USD$700. Either camera would be awesome. My recent research on Canon DSLRs led me to both these models as the most capable below USD$1000 in their product line.

Tubor

Enlightened
You guys all into Canon DSLR's? What about Nikon, Pentax, etc? May be much better value for money if you don't want to take loads of pictures. Although I've heard the Canon 18-55 IS kit lens that comes with the 450D is much better than the one that came with the 400D. Got a Nikon myself and am very happy at the moment. Some great lenses, not too much $$$. Saving up for the D300 -=PHEW!=-

da.gee

Enlightened
I already had some Canon accessories/lenses so that is why I looked a t Canon. I'm sure Nikon has a similarly fine DSLR in this range but I;m unfamilair with their models.

From what I've read the kit lens with the 450D (XSi) is supposed to be pretty good .

Gimpy00Wang

b0rk, b0rk, b0rk
With DSLR's you have two primary options: Canon and Nikon. Yeah, you can go Olympus or Sony, but Canon and Nikon are the two kings. You can't go wrong with either.

That being said...I'm a Canon user. I had good experiences with Canon P&S cams so when the time came for a DSLR I was biased. :)

With DSLR's the big investment comes in glass (lenses) rather than bodies. Spend a decent amount of time considering what lens(es) you will (or intend to) buy. I started with an XTi and two mid-end lenses. I still have the XTi, but have since moved to two L zooms and a 30mm prime. I'll eventually upgrade the body, but I'm not in a rush.

- Chris

drmaxx

Enlightened
I started with an XTi and two mid-end lenses. I still have the XTi, but have since moved to two L zooms and a 30mm prime.
Chris: Can you tell us what kind (brand) of lenses you have? Just wondering.

I have the Xsi and after the first 1500 shots I am still very happy with it. I would qualify me as an ambitions point and shoot user - with the need to control the picture from time to time.

I was looking at the 40D - but the difference was not worth my money.

Gimpy00Wang

b0rk, b0rk, b0rk
My lenses:

Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS
Sigma 30mm f/1.4

I experimented with a few different lenses before settling on these. Since I didn't have an unlimited budget I had to figure out the best balance of pros/cons for me. The only lens I find myself still lusting for is the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS.

Some of the lenses I have owned over the past year or two:

Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II (aka: Nifty Fifty)
Canon EF 50mm f/1.4
Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 (kit lens)
Canon EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II
Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L

The Nifty Fifty was a great lens to play with and is a great first prime since it's so inexpensive. The 50mm f/1.4 was so-so -- especially compared to a lens like the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 (which is great). The 28-105 was pretty nice optically, but always seemed to be too long (at the wide end) and too short (at the long end). The kit lens is what it is. The 17-40mm f/4L is a great first "L" lens, but the lack of IS and being only f/4 kinda limits it's use. It's a great landscape lens, but I wanted more versatility.

- Chris

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just picked it up after huge price drops and sales. GREAT Beginners camera and it has a lot of features you'd come to expect from camera 2x the price.

The liveview, gimmick to some but great for beginners.

The Kit lens is much better than the kit lens with the XTi. Overall it's way more camera the XTi ever was. I'd say the XSi is bordering on 40D territory.

The battery is much longer lasting than any Canon Entry level. At 1080mah. If you're gonna complain about using li-ions then you're gonna be laughed at when you're talking about DSLRs because ALL DSLRs use their own li-ions.
The upside with the XSi is the battery grip option. It allows the use of 2 of their li-ions for nearly 1000 shots or for you AA lovers allows the use of 6AAs. ~300 shots on Alks. I highly recommend getting the battery grip if you have big hands.

I'm going to pick up a nifty fifty and deciding on a telephoto for mine.

DocD

Enlightened
sony 100 alpha all the way:thumbsup: had cannon 350 and 450 now use a sony and at night time shots and a better set up for accessing the menu IMO the sony is better:thumbsup: i,m in the new year upgradeing to the sony 350 and the 100 will be sold